Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

68 princeton reverb ri -too much bass with humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by budglo, Oct 5, 2017.

1. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    Thats a good idea. That way if i dont like what I here I can take my leads off.

I agree I was surprized because even my blues jr sounded decent with the 335 , personally didnt care for its sound with my
    strats. My favorite amps for 335s are the drri and the 59 bassman, but I am a Fender tube amp guy.

2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    Did you try adjusting the pickups to see if lowering them might reduce the problem?

I have a customized Fender Champion 600 reissue amp that I thought was a little too bassy as well, but then tried lowering the neck pickup and now I'm loving how it sounds!

Just a thought...

'

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    elihu, clintj and telemnemonics like this.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    As @AxemanVR said, have you adjusted your pickups?

Pickup height adjustment is far from standardized, and is also the most dramatic way to adjust bass.

Lower the low E side of the humbuckers and try it again.
    If you're not sure you won't mess it up, stack some coins to get height measurements of the current adjustment.
    I find the low E side needs to be way way lower than the high e side to avoid having too much bass. Don't worry about making them too low, try various settings, including low enough that you feel you're not getting enough bass, then raise them back up.
    Obviously the neck pickup needs to be a good deal lower than the bridge pickup, yet I've had lots of guitars come across my bench with the pickups set by eye to the same heights.
    But that is not as bad as having the pickup even height across all the strings, because you cannot compensate with standard tone and vol knobs.

AxemanVR likes this.

4. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    Yes I already had adjusted the neck pickup. I do my own setups so anything like that is already covered . They were horrid when I brought the guitar home from GC. I might try lowering it a little more .

AxemanVR likes this.

5. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    The 68 Custom Princeton really IS a great little amp. Surprised me actually. Dead quiet cranked to 8 even with stock strat pickups, grwat reverb and EXCELLENT trem, no cab or tube rattles, light weight, looks good, enough giggable vol with strats/teles, and takes pedals well. I had old blackglass Russian military power tubes and all NOS preamp tubes would have liked it more with a different speaker, and liked it flat out more than the PRRI. I think I would like the 68 Custom Deluxe more than the Princeton tho. It has the minimum amount of clean headroom one could get away with. Below 4, it's a practice amp, 4-5 is your gig/clean zone, and above 5 requires guitar vol knob tweaking. At my gig last sat, the soundman wanted it at 4 but couldn't put me in a monitor so at times I had trouble hearing myself(not the amps fault).

budglo likes this.

6. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    I agree . Flawless with strats imo. For a 12 watt 10 inch speaker it is amazingly loud. It’s really hard to find a good grab n go tube amp , but this sure fits the bill. After a while you forget it’s a 10 inch speaker in there and as far as I know there haven’t been too many issues with them .

7. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone

Err, way too much treble and bass. Especially for humbuckers. Any amp is going to fart out on you except maybe a Marshall Plexi style.

The PR has dinky transformers - the power transformer is a Champ item. It's actually meant to be a practice amp - albeit with the features (reverb, tremolo) of the larger 'pro' amps. On the Fender/Marshall/Vox preamp which is after a gain stage, the gain (volume) and treble control response from the other controls. This is true for Mesas, esp. Why people get in such a muddle with them.

If they're dimed, your preset mid (a resistor with a value that approximates '6' on a pot) and bass are rendered overdriven - even on zero.

The rule with virtually all BF/SF Fenders is - volume goes up, mids and bass come down. Or they fart out.

Even 57s are a hottish pickup. When I had a 335 Dot and SFPR, to play clean - input 2, Vol 6-7, treble 6-7, bass 3-4, guitar vol 8-9. That will produce a nice bluesy drive especially if you dime the guitar. You are not going to live with John Bonham but any decent unmicced drummer (i.e earplugs not necessary) you will get over.

Any more than that, fart city. You're just pushing that preamp and power amp too far. If that's not enough volume, you need a bigger amp.

8. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    You do kind of forget its a 1x10. For a test, I sat 8 ft in front of the 68CPR and my real 1966 Super Reverb with both amps on and plugged into an ABY box. Directly in front of them, 8ft away at gig volume, Switching between them, the 68 CPR was FINE. But, stand up and walk a few steps away and you realize the huge room filling bigness that the BFSR HAS, and the 68 CPR doesn't. Miced, the audience won't hear that thru FOH PA speakers tho, but as a player, you feel that onstage for sure.

budglo likes this.

9. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Amp tilt stand. Your knees don't have ears, and you're louder than you think.

It took me a while to work it out - why can't I hear me, when the crow're saying I'm too loud? Especially if the amp's close to you. Now, I can hear myself and I no longer have bandmates complaining 'you're too loud' and engaging in volume wars.

IMG_20170715_202801~3.jpg

10. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    I know what you are saying. When I played thru a bassman the fullness of those 4x10s was joyous to the ears. Nothing quite like it.
    Good point. I used to play with an amp stand a lot and got away from it. Seems like it was just one more thing to bring, but it is such a useful tool. I even used one with my drri.

11. markp73

markp73 TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Ontario
    R34 mod opened my right up. Sounds great with buckers. Bass still there if you need it, but now you can turn it down. No need to remove the resistor. Just solder a bypass on its leads. Takes 10 minutes total.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Seriously, if you adjusted the pickups, and you have too much bass with the amps bass knob on zero, you did not adjust the pickups properly for your setup and playing style.
    Just as you need to adjust the action to suit your playing and gear, you need to adjust your pickups to suit.

Leave the pickups higher under the high E string, and lower them under the low E string. Do not simply adjust the whole pickup.
    You can get any amount of bass you require this way.
    I generally adjust pickups so the guitars bass content works with the most bassy and the least bassy amps.

13. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Even the vintage PR's have the bass pot problem, I always run mine real low (2-3). A little trick to enhance the preset midrange is to run the bass pot all the way off, and the treble low to taste. This brings a bit more midrange to the sound. Got that from a post years ago on a forum.
    Al

14. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I run my CPR with the treble on 7-8 and the bass on 3-4. Turning down the bass any more takes away too much tone.
    I have thought about the R34 move.
    But I like the bigness, and I can just use a compressor with a little treble lift to tighten it up.

15. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2017
    USA
    With the Weber speaker I keep the Bass at 2 or so now, and do not personally see a need for the mod. If you put the bass at 0 and still want to make it lower, then the mod may be in order.

budglo likes this.

16. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    I like the Weber idea. This weekend ill have a chance to play around with it some . I did try lowering the neck pickup on the bass side some and it was Mississippi mud time so I adjusted it back. It only seems to happen with the volume past 4 . The strats sound fine , just the 335 is giving me problems . It sounds amazing on my drri.

17. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2017
    USA
    Yeah, I think I lowered the screws in the pickups under the low E and A strings, or that might have been on my Les Paul I forget . . . good luck. That stock Ten 30 sounds nice at low volume, but does not do well at even moderately high volume when you have humbuckers especially. The Weber (or another speaker of your choosing with a big magnet) is almost a necessary upgrade regardless. If you are unsure about some of the options available on that speaker (wattage, etc.) send them an email, and they will help you choose what is appropriate for the tone you are looking for. I got 8 ohm, 50 watt, standard dustcap, light dope 10F150T. I asked Weber for a recommendation based on sticking as close to the Ten 30 sound as possible while being able to play louder, more headroom, no farting out . . . Now I get tube crunch when overdriven as opposed to flabby fart noises . . . It sounds different than the stock speaker, but not a drastic departure from the nature of that amp . . .

18. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Like I said, had I kept mine, the stock speaker was going. The Celestion added to the bassyness especially at high volumes, and that amp does not need more low end.k Mine would have got a Emi Ragin Cajun or WGS G10C or another tight, stout higher watt and sensitivity bigger magnet 10". Webers are great speakers too.

19. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    That is a very good and simple and easily reversible plan of attack. I should have tried that first but did not ("too obvious"!!!). Will try this and report back.

*I am almost super happy after sticking a 12AT7 in V4. But my neck bucker (with big fat Tomastik flatwounds) still hits the the pre stage a bit too hard. So will try the pickup height change asap.

(My speaker is a nicely broken in C12Q)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    telemnemonics likes this.

20. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2017
    USA
    After reading this thread, and playing the ES-335 through the 68 Custom PRRI tonight, I think I will try bypassing that resistor after all. Not that it neeeeeeds it, but I am kind of curious. The Gretsch solid body, and les paul, or my strat would not need it for sure, but that ES-335 . . . maybe could benefit after all. If not, I am still happy with the amp . . . we'll see what it does.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.