Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

68 princeton reverb ri -too much bass with humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by budglo, Oct 5, 2017.

1. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    I purchased this amp as a grab n go amp last year. Mostly have played my strats with it and get good tone. Lately I have been playing my 335 with 57 classics . To my ears it seems the bass is way too overpowering even with the bass at zero. Any one else have this experience?

2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Have you tried plugging into the second input jack?. If it's like the originals, it is slightly attenuated with a resistor and often works better with HB's. Don't know if it affects the tone, though.
    Al

elihu and Fiesta Red like this.

3. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    Yes I have tried plugging into both. The 1st input warms it up a bit , but either input brings on the overpowering bass at somewhere after 4 on the volume knob.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Try a boost stomp in front of signal, like a spark booster.
    Lower gain and use as dynamic eq for amp. I have a couple
    amps I do that to.

5. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Fender was known for using oversized coupling caps and bypass caps which can create a woofy and/or boomy bass especially with humbuckers. You could try passively cutting bass before the preamp or you could change the first stage coupling cap to tighten things up

teletimetx likes this.

6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    If I understand what I've read correctly, the 68 CPR has more mids (and, to my ears, low mids) than the standard PRRI. Mine is very full in the lows and can be overpowering, even from a tele bridge pickup. It sounds great with teles :)

I know it's an obvious questions, but how is your treble dial set?

There an awful lot of "transparent overdrives" out there that will tighten up the bass for you without changing things too much.

7. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    I have been keeping the treble set at 6 . I have my tone pots set at 10 when I play clean. Usually at 5-6 when I use overdrive. I will say that it sounds amazing with my strats. I will experiment with maybe getting it off the ground via an amp stand.

ukepicker likes this.

8. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    With my CPR, I can feel the difference between treble rolloff at the guitar and treble rolloff at the amp. I don't really understand why they would be so different, but they sure feel it. It usually sounds better to me to run it wide open at the amp, and dial it back at the guitar. Unless the guitar I'm using is extra bright, and I might knock it down a hair at the amp.

9. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2017
    USA
    Yes, same issue with an ES-335 here as well on my 68 Custom PRRI. Also, if I used an overdrive pedal, or played at loud volume the speaker would fart out. I replaced the speaker with a Weber 10F150T. This speaker has a bigger magnet and does not fart out when the volume is high or it is driven with humbuckers, etc. Also the 10F150T has more treble than the 10F150 (which is what the T is for). The amp is still, warmer maybe is the word, but I do not have to turn the bass to 0 although I keep it low. I'll also turn up the Treble higher depending on the guitar I am using. I happen to have TUNG-SOL tubes in there as well which were a general improvement to the GT's which were stock. While I had the same concerns you had I am happy with the amp now with the new speaker especially.

ukepicker likes this.

10. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    All good ideas to try. I never thought about a booster pedal. Markey, how does the weber sound with single coils?

11. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Try one of these. Pull down the lower mids a bit. If you want a boost, pull up the slider on the right. Seriously this is the one pedal that I've always found to be useful for the past 35 years.
    ge_7_gal.jpg

lineboat and sockgtr like this.

12. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    A 5751 in V1 helps

Darkness likes this.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Sounds like it's not the right amp for you. That can be so many factors. Touch on the instrument, strings, setup, pickup adjustment, could go on and on.

I had a '68 CPR and gigged it in small clubs with HBs no problems. Changed room to room but even at 6 on the volume, I was often able to run the Bass a 4-4.5 and stay tight. Kind of surprising for a small Fender with a maligned (unfairly, I think) speaker.

I don't find the circuit to be inherently or unusually bassy for Fender.

Nothing wrong with you or the amp. Maybe just not a great fit.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

14. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    Yes it does. I am way happier with my PR (Blackface edition) with a lower gain tube (5751 or 12AT7) in V1 when playing through humbuckers.

15. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2017
    USA
    The issue you describe is not pronounced with single coils . . . it really surfaces with humbuckers, but especially humbuckers with that semi-hollow body. I love this amp again with the weber speaker I mentioned. I put a les paul with hot humbuckers on this amp and crank it with a tube screamer and get a nice crunch when laying on some barre chords for example. Then I'll plug in the es-335 and play some jazz chords which sound warm and articulate. Yes, you have to lower the bass. This is due, from what I've learned here and elsewhere, to the bassman tone stack this amp was designed around, and the mod which makes this a 68 custom . . . i think due to the value of the negative feedback resistor (which can be bypassed with a piece of wire) but you can probably find more info on that elsewhere if you are interested. There are some other threads on this forum on the subject. The speaker helped a lot. I thought this amp might not be for me after a while of tinkering with different speakers and tubes, but now I'd never part with it.

Danishboy likes this.

16. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2017
    USA
    Stratoblaster correctly points to the mod and threads I was thinking of . . . not the negative feedback resistor like I incorrectly mentioned.

17. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    That is good to know Markey. I think the speaker change will be in order . I will try the tube swap in the V1 because its cheap and its easily reversable. It appears bypassing the resistor is an option as well. I am primarily a strat player and liked the way it fattens up its tone. I was shocked when I started playing my 335 again that with the tone at zero and volume above 4 the bass was so overpowering . I bought this amp because I wanted something portable that I can take to jams , etc. At 59 with arthritis in my neck weight is a big issue , but so is tone. I had several blues jrs and just cant bond with them as much as I try.

I am not quite ready to say it may not be the amp for me yet. Ill make some simple changes and then see. Its a great platform for tone and the reverb and vibrato is amazing.

18. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    You will still have the bass knob to dial up the bass. I think removing the resistor basically stops some cutoff of frequencies from going around the knob.

I put clip leads across the resistor to test the mod before I actually did it. I heard what I wanted to hear and the bass knob became usable so I went ahead and did the mod. I love that amp.

19. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I just had one. For a week, gigged it once. Just traded it and an AmStd Strat for a Dr Z Z28 w/Z Brake Lite

I put a JAN GE 5751 in V1, and my settings were either: V=4.5 (with a pedal, 8 straight in, gtr vol down for cleans), T=8, B=2. With a strat or tele, sounded darn good, not too bassy. With my "hot" tele with a SD Jazz neck, it was with chords. I'm mostly a single coil guy so not an issue. I agree, not the best 335 amp. I planned on keeping it and replacing the Celestion with a Ragin Cajun but came across an offer I couldn't refuse.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.