'68 Deluxe Reverb "King Biscuit"

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by fglenn, Mar 13, 2019.

1. fglenn

fglenn TDPRI Member

A few years back I had the opportunity to purchase a 1968 Deluxe Reverb amplifier in what would be considered rough shape...hole in the grill, replacement speaker and not working. The amp was unique to me in that while it was a silver face amp it had the original "black face" circuit. I have finally decided to restore it and have finished the power supply reconstruct....and this is the point that I need to reach out to the forum members.....the amp has etched in the back of the chassis "King Biscuit". When I say etched it appears that the letters were applied with a small artist type pain brush common to hobby shops and the substance used was some type of acid. I purchased the amplifier in Orlando. My interest is whether anyone if the forum might have some knowledge about the King Biscuit Flour Hour studio and whether they maintain amplifiers in their studio, possibly this one? I am torn between restoring the amplifier with completely new high end components or whether it should be just brought back to life with a minimal number of replacement parts. Any information that could shed light on this amplifier and its possible past would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.​

2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

Hi there - what components are you thinking of replacing with "completely new high end components"? I don't know the condition of your amp in particular, but my opinion would be to replace the bare minimum of parts - the filter caps, the electrolytics on the board, the bias cap, and the two prong cord. Check the tubes and other components, but if they're fine, leave them be.

schmee likes this.
  3. Zman28

Zman28 TDPRI Member

Funny I knew Ritchy Newel aka King Biscuit Boy. He was a local kid in Hamilton Ontario who became a Blues singer Harpist. Maybe it was from his band.
    He travelled extensively in the Southern US.

4. fglenn

fglenn TDPRI Member

I read a little about King Biscuit Boy and you are right it might have been his way of marking his amp. As far as the high end rebuild I had quite a bit of success using the Jupiter Beeswax high temp foil in oil caps when I rebuilt a friends '79 Ultra-linear Twin Reverb....in my opinion they are outstanding capacitors and he is convinced that he may have the best sounding UL out there....and this rebuild was several years ago before Jupiter introduced the copper foil in oil caps. The '68 is in really poor shape missing tubes and really ugly replacement speaker. It has been really used in its lifetime so obviously I will be replacing coupling capacitors, bias supply and plate resistors and probably at that point bring it up with new tubes and see where I am at. It does not have the edging around the speaker grill as the early silver faced amps do but like I said the circuit was the original black face.

5. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

Well if you're pulling blue ajax caps, send them to me! I'll pay shipping!

6. fglenn

fglenn TDPRI Member

Sorry but this amp doesn't have the blue ajax caps....it has the baby poop brown caps which was a disappointment.

7. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

No! Send them to me!

8. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

I would even consider paying shipping for those... I recently picked up a '69 DR which had those removed in place of Orange Drops.

9. fglenn

fglenn TDPRI Member

I will definitely keep you in mind when I start the rebuild.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.