Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

66 Vibrolux for 79 DR Good or Bad trade?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Gus Bus, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Gus Bus

Gus Bus TDPRI Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Oakland, Ca
    First time poster, long time lurker. I've had my 66 VR for close to 5 years. This amp sounds great but I never get it up to the volume where it truly shines. I end up using pedals (rocket blue note) to give me the grit I need. Especially with a strat, the VR doesn't seem to break up at playing volume with a band. I recently found myself in Guitar Center playing through a 65' DR Reissue and I was floored by the tone. So I put a Craigslist ad up to trade my amp for a preferable PTP DR and I got a bite within a day for a '79 DR. My VR has replacement speakers and non-original cab (pretty beat), but the circuit is pristine. Personally I don't care about the originality of it all. The most important part (the amplifier) is fully functional and unmolested. I've had an offer for $1000 cash for it. What is my VR worth? Is the trade a good one? Thanks everyone.

wmsimpson likes this.
  2. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I'd say your amp being a blackface is worth about $5-600 more than a 79 deluxe reverb. I've got a deluxe reverb and a vibrolux (both are 1979's) and they both are about the same loudness/breakup when cranked (ie really loud) Just try it our in a band setting if possible to make sure it'll give you the breakup you crave.

uriah1 likes this.
  3. caspersvapors

caspersvapors TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2008
    CA
    My first instinct was DONT DO IT.

What kind of speakers are in your VR? I would try swapping/experimenting with those before I traded it. Speakers and Tubes first. Your VR is way more valuable

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2010
    SCS, MI
    Not sure about the efficiency of your speakers, but you may be able to achieve some reduction in volume with less effiecient speakers. I wouldn't be quick to dump the VR.

xafinity likes this.
  6. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    Have a single 12" baffle made for your Vibrolux. Order a 4 ohm 12" Weber Ceramic 1265.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  7. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Nov 8, 2009
    New York
    I wouldn't do it.

The Deluxe will also be too loud. Maybe a Princeton Reverb is more along the lines of what you need.

Not sure about the value of the Vibrolux. Non-original cab is a pretty significant hit on the price. Check ebay and Reverb to see if there have been any similar condition amps sold recently.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Howdy, and welcome!
    I'd keep the Vibrolux.
    It's way more versatile.

9. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I, too, would keep the Vibrolux. And I'm a huge Deluxe Reverb fan. I have a '76 Deluxe Reverb, but no way would I trade away a '66 Vibrolux Reverb to get a '79 Deluxe Reverb. I'd gander that your '66 Vibrolux is worth a good bit more than $1000 USD even in its current condition. @slider313 's idea is a really good one. Try to find other ways to get the Vibrolux to do what you want. A single 12-inch speaker is an excellent suggestion.

That said, I don't think a Vibrolux Reverb will ever be a Deluxe Reverb (and if you put two 10-inch speakers in a Deluxe, it won't become a Vibrolux Reverb). They each have their own thing going. If you just have to have a Deluxe Reverb in the end, I'd try to get one in perfect condition that is 1976 or earlier. Preferably much earlier.

10. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Holic

Feb 2, 2010
    Houston, TX
    DON'T DO IT.

+1 to what everybody else has said. The Deluxe Reverb will be roughly the same volume. Princeton Reverb would be a more realistic downsize.

...or you could use less efficient speakers, or a power soak, etc.

11. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I wouldn't trade , if you don't like the VR you can sell it and buy something you really want. A BF Vibrolux Reverb is a VERY desirable amp.

And if you do want a Deluxe Reverb all of them up to the last when Fender went back to the blackface around 1980 are good amps. (Not the DR RIs)

12. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

Another, DON'T DO IT!

13. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    Texas
    I wouldn't make that trade.

14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    ABSOLUTELY NOT.

A '66 Vibrolux Reverb in excellent condition has a current value of $2,500-3,300.

Even with a replaced cab and speakers it should be somewhere between $1200-1600 based on what I've seen sold in the last year or so.

I suggest you get a copy of the Vintage guitar price guide or find someone locally who has one if you have any other vintage gear.

If the VR has not been serviced recently I strongly suggest taking to to a competent tech.

15. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2009
    Cincinnati
    Dear Lord, do not make that trade. Get that VR humming with a good service and try some different speakers. You have a sweet platform to build on.

16. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    If the VR isn't pristine original and the DR is, I'd sell the VR and buy the DR or make sure there's cash coming your way. Easier to get breakup on the DR and it isn't as 'loud' with single twelve vs two tens. Plus 6V6 breakup /= 6L6. If you like the 6V6 then that's that.

They are another amp that changed fairly minorly in most respects going SF and a lot is reversible. Eventually like 70's and 80's Strats and Teles the DR will appreciate. Speaker change (keep the original plus any parts swapped out) and you should be able to get it to how you like. I love Princetons and a BF or SF in good nick would probably meet your needs.

17. Gus Bus

Gus Bus TDPRI Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Oakland, Ca
    Thanks for all the responses! A friend has a later ptp DR that he's gonna bring by and I'll a/b them in my space. The replacement speakers Im using are tone tubby san rafaels. I hear that power tubes have different rating and if I get some lower rated ones that might help to lower the head room. Yeah I think I'll keep this amp for a bit and look into the Princeton as well. Just curious... with all of you that own a VR or DR, how do you get the grit in a live situation where you don't want to ruin the stage mix by turning up to loud? Pedals just don't feel the same to me.

18. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Man , something's up with your Vibrolux - biased too cold or speakers too something etc...

By 4-5 on the volume it should bark & howl & it's not too loud. (switch back to low efficiency speakers..)

NONONO I would'ntdo that trade

19. Gus Bus

Gus Bus TDPRI Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Oakland, Ca
    Can you suggest a speaker you think would do the trick?

20. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    dannyh likes this.
  21. rockycreeker

rockycreeker Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2003
    Georgia
    To join the multitude of other folks - don't do it!!! That 66 VBR is a gem and it is the perfect blend of power and portability. Tonequest Report did an article quite a few years ago and it was titled "Under 40 Watts of Whoop Ass". That article named the VBR the absolute king of power vs. portability. Get it up to top shape and get a good OD pedal that will give you a good overdrive sound and play that Vibrolux. I have a 66 VBR that would be the last amp I'd part with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.