Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

66 Musicmaster with mustang pickguard?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by jc4yr, Sep 16, 2017.

1. jc4yr

jc4yr TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Providence, RI
    hello!

I just bought a 66 musicmaster. The MM is on the mustang side of things (pickguard and metal cover for knobs and input). The guitar, stock, is routed like a mustang and it's my understanding that the body's were the same (save for the bridges).

Does anyone know if I can drop a mustang pickguard on to add a second pickup?

uriah1 likes this.

2. YALCaster

YALCaster TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2017
    noitacoL
    Not a new mustang, but maybe an older MIJ? If anything the screws might not line up

3. jc4yr

jc4yr TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Providence, RI
    Bump.

Anyone know if I could get a mustang pickguard on a 1966
    Musicmaster?

Would it be much work to add a second pickup and mustang switches?

Attached Files:

BorderRadio likes this.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm interested in this question but little sideways: I need a tracing of a 60s mustang guard, anybody care to share one here? I'd be very grateful for this.

OP, if you posted up a tracing or scan of the guard with a ruler, that would be helpful for all. And a pic of the cavity below your MM. As for your intentions, I personally would not alter a vintage instrument. If you have the proper cavities underneath, then I'd consider.

5. jc4yr

jc4yr TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Providence, RI
    Like I said, It's all the same routing as a mustang. It won't let me upload the cavatiy images from my phone. I just need to know if a pickguard from a mustang would fit. The only modding would be done with solder. Thanks in advanced.

6. jc4yr

jc4yr TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Providence, RI
    Also it's a musicmaster ii if that helps!

7. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Jan 18, 2011
    Longmont, CO
    I had a 66 duosonic and I'm pretty sure the pickguards were the same.

jc4yr likes this.

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Doh missed that part about same cavities.

My frustration with Mustang guards is the fact that nothing is consistent, MIJ varies, Squier varies, the Classic series is probably different too. I suspect if MM and Mustang guards are interchangeable, then it's interchangeable most perfectly with a guard of similar vintage.

[edit: my wondering is answered already lol, I'm making too many rounds and slipping up today]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.