Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

65 Fender Reverb Unit 6G15 blowing fuses

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by grolan1, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Just picked this baby up.... my first guess is 50+ year old caps... ouch!

20180306_142647.jpg 20180306_142641.jpg

tce63 and D'tar like this.

2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Those caps certainly hav to go. They’ve all bubbled/breached. Tubes could also be the cause, so after replacing caps, test without tubes installed. Then add them back one at a time, and see how that goes. Maybe gig also be rectifier - diodes are cheap - you could replace them too.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    PLEASE - do not turn that unit on until it is properly serviced.

Just as with vintage amps I advise all buyers of vintage Fender tube reverb units to budget an additional $150 for service unless proof of recent service is supplied.

If the fuse had held on a bit longer you could have cooked your power transformer. Then you'd be paying the normal service cost (generally up to $150 for new filter caps and possible tubes) PLUS replacement of the PT, PLUS the reduction in vintage value.

IMO all vintage tube gear needs to be inspected by a qualified tech prior to use even if some kind of proof of service is provided. I see a huge amount of lousy work - but mostly I see vintage gear that's all original. Most owners do not understand that filter capacitors have a service life of just about 15 years - less if used a bit and then stored for long periods.

Please don't take any more =chances with that one - get it in to a good tech right away!

corliss1 likes this.

4. All fixed and working as designed. Never tried personally to turn it on.. went straight to the tech for standard/needed service!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.