Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

65 Fender Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mtown, May 19, 2017.

1. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2011
    Fenton, MO
    Just got this amp today and noticed the speaker board extends out about 1/4 in from the control panel. Is this normal for this amp. My DRRI is flush with the control panel. IMG_0008.JPG

2. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2006
    Arizona
    Yes that is normal

3. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2011
    Fenton, MO
    Ok thanks. Looked kind of odd to me.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MRey

MRey Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    IL
    Mine sits flush, it is a couple years old though, maybe they sit out farther now due to the reported baffle reinforcement?
    IMG_2186.JPG

6. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2011
    Fenton, MO
    Just got off the phone with a Fender customer rep. He said no that wasn't normal than it should be flush. Back it goes. So much for quality control.

MRey likes this.

7. King Fan

King Fan Tele-Afflicted

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    That looked weird. The likely issue is where the chassis is hung fore and aft. The baffle location should be pretty standard. At least I hope so!

8. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2011
    Fenton, MO
    Yes I agree. The chassis is too far back. Kind of stinks to wait a week for an amp and it has a issue right away. Poor QC.

9. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2011
    Fenton, MO
    I just checked my return label and its looks like Guitar Center sent me a b- stock when I paid for a new one. Geeez

10. MRey

MRey Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    IL
    That stinks, hope the replacement is good to go.

mtown likes this.

11. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    All you should have to do to adjust it is loosen the 4 screws on the chassis straps that hold the chassis tight to the cabinet, slide the chassis flush, and retighten the screws. Fixed.

moosie, Darkness and peteb like this.

12. peteb

peteb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2003
    Cascadia
    That's the deal

13. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Winner, winner chicken dinner!!!

14. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2011
    Fenton, MO
    Yes that would work as long as you left the screws loose. As soon as you tighten them the chassis will go back to same place because the holes were drilled wrong in the cabinet. Thanks anyway

15. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    An easy adjustment with the four screws on top chassis straps. Just slightly loosen and move the chassis forward until flush and retighten. Careful not to bend the bottom of the faceplate.

Just Inexcusable quality control.

16. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2011
    Fenton, MO
    Tried that and it moves right back to its original position as soon as you tighten the screws.

17. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Apr 24, 2003
    WNY, USA
    Even if it was able to be adjusted I would still be upset about getting a B-stock.
    Unfortunately, Guitar Center is not the only place that does things like that.

mtown likes this.

18. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I'd return the amp and get a new one. Tell them you'll keep this one until the new amp arrives.

I bought a 4K handwired Marshall from GC and it took 3 tries to get a decent amp.

Pretty sad, but did I save some money, because on the last attempt, there was a Black Friday sale that saved me almost $600.

I really think that this is because of their 30 day return policy.

Last edited: May 20, 2017

19. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2011
    Fenton, MO
    I returned the amp and got my money back. I would have ordered another Princeton but I'm honestly not too confident with Fender's quality lately. I think I'm going to sit on the money and wait till until I find something that really inspires me. It's a shame though. I've bought Fender amps since the late 60's and never had the kind of issues I've seen lately with crappy parts and poor workmanship.

20. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2006
    Arizona
    Interesting. I've got two that look like yours.

21. gtr_mann

gtr_mann TDPRI Member

Dec 29, 2012
    It probably shifted in shipping.. loosening the screws and moving the chassis forward would fix it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.