Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

'65 Deluxe Reverb RI with EJ1250 and tube change

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by htloren, Aug 5, 2017.

1. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2013
    Manila
    Hi all!

Just wanted to share. I got me a '65 Deluxe Reverb last week and put in an Eminence EJ1250, 50w alnico speaker. Tungsol 12ax7's and EHX 12at7's. Stock power tubes and rectifier.

Perfect! Surprised to find out the stock speaker was actually really good (for channel 1) but had the EJ all planned out for this amp for quite some time. Had the speaker long before the amp. It's finally home.

An added bonus to the change of speaker and tubes, it made the Vibrato channel useable. Still different from the normal channel, but now it is now more a different flavor or option for different venues. The high's on this channel no longer sound detached and the fizz with drive pedals is gone.

May have something to do with the specific speaker / tube combination with the amp than just any speaker change.

So now, I have a Bassman for basket ball size gigs, Deluxe Reverb for smaller club venues and my next goal.... a Champ for small room jams with friends

robrob likes this.

2. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2013
    Manila
    Here it is :)

Attached Files:

3. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2016
    Champaign illinois
    I recently got the wine red ltd with the alnico. I wanted it as a amp for the second guitar player and wanting clean headroom, also thought a stock ceramic would have sounded better for this purpose. However the vibrato channel loves the alnico. I went with JJ tubes. Wouldnt you know it the second player hasent shown up a few times since I got it- so I run it in stereo with my budda twinmaster. I set the deluxe at 7 oe 8 and the budda halfway up and control vol and distortion with guitar volume. Its likely one of the best rigs I have. That being said the deluxe alone is mighty mighty! Congrats and hope you like yours as much as I do mine!

4. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2013
    Manila
    Thanks! Very cool on your DRRI! I got to try a wine red tolex DRRI with an Jensen Alnico speaker. It had a smokey mids and was fantastic! I have been meaning to try playing my Bassman and DRRI together and see what it sounds like. I think they will complement each other.

I have read online that the Groove Tubes 6v6s that the amp came with are really JJ 6v6s's. Any experience on this? Groove Tubes aren't available here but JJ's are. I can import the GT's but if the JJ's sound the same, then problem solved.

I like the GT power tubes and rectifier but when I changed the speaker, it needed a change of preamp tubes. Tung Sols 12ax7 and EHX 12at7 works. The old GT preamps sounded great with the old speakers.

5. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2016
    Champaign illinois
    As I understand- GT tubes can be from a number of brands. Being tested, they should be good tubes- and likely they could be JJs-but I like to know for sure what I have, so I dont tend to use GTs. JJs are a known quality, and if you order from a reputable tester like eurotubes you will likely be pleased.

6. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2013
    Manila
    Hi,

I agree! The nice thing is that all these new modern tubes all sound pretty different from each other. So it really is about experimenting with different tubes to match an amp. I was just lucky that my back up tubes that I had at the time, Tungsol 12ax7 and EHX 12at7, matched my DRRI, EJ1250 match up.

The stock GT tubes sounded great as they matched the stock speaker. Yuck with my EJ1250. I would, if I had a ton of money buy a 2nd DRRI and keep it stock. Fender got it right. But I am an alnico freak :) That is why I didn't change the speakers in my Bassman. Already alnico.

I am also lucky that pretty much the same preamp tubes in my DRRI are also the same that I use in my Bassman. Only exceptions are that I am using an EHX 12at7, in place of the original 12ax7 in the PI and changed the Bassman's power tubes to TAD 6L6 WGC STR.

Keeping the power tubes in my DRRI stock GT (read they are actually JJ's?) Both rectifiers are stock GT.

Have a ton of 12ax7, 12at7, 5751, 5ar4, 6L6 NOS but am really loving these Tungsols 12ax7 and EHX 12at7 and TAD 6L6 WGC. Must be a match with Fender amps.

I used to have a Fender Blues Deluxe. The first version. Those used JJ and NOS GE for power tubes. JJ was bass heavy and powerful. Nice fir rock. GE were softer feel, more mids and had an "air". Sweet for blues ☺️

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.