Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

'64 RI Esquire

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FredDairy, Apr 16, 2018.

1. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    Not sure why I did this.

I have 3 '64 RIs. This is a 2012 I picked up recently and I swear those first ones feel different.
    This one had a really great bridge pickup sound and I had always wanted to try the Eldred Esquire wiring so I took the plunge this weekend and did it.

It's wild having the '64 RI pickup without the tone capacitor in position 1.

IMG_1221.JPG

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    The Fantastic Johnny C? Tyrone the Wonder Boy? And I used to have a 64 SR like that. Maybe we were separated at birth... :)

FredDairy likes this.

3. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    Wow no one ever called me out on the Fantastic Johnny C stuff!

4. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    I'm not sure of the exact year of Fiesta Red '64 RI, but it has a fantastic neck. I've never run across another 64 to compare it to. I also have a 2005 Custom Shop Esquire '59 toploader that is a great guitar, except that the neck isn't my favorite: apparently it was given out through the Artist Relations program and the artist asked to have the neck replaced with a different spec neck. I don't mind its larger frets, but he requested a 10-12" radius and a flatter back profile.

There are probably a lot of folks that would pay up for this thing with its combined specs, but overall the sound and the way it hangs (plus its not too heavy or too light) has me constantly considering swapping necks for a while. The only downside is that the CS has worn very nicely and the '64 is still like new (which isn't a big problem).

5. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    Very good decision Fred, I once had an esquire with the Eldred wiring and it was one of the nicest sounding guitars I have ever had.
    Yours is also a looker, enjoy!

6. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    That is a very cool looking guitar.

7. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very nice! For some reason I swap out the 3 ply 8 hole pickgaurds for 5 hole single ply versions.

8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    That's nice. I like that a lot .

Called to mind a certain artist who shared that taste. Used on the solo of Taxman I have read.

images.jpeg

brookdalebill likes this.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

10. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    Great get, I LOVE Esquires !

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    My first good band, 1967, nine piece soul top 40 cover band, played about 70 weekend gigs as a high school senior. Stax, Motown, you know the set list as well as I do, I'll bet. We thought the "British invasion " wouldn't last because they had no actual syncopation. :)

FredDairy likes this.

12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard of the Eldred but can't remember what it does.
    Regardless, that's pretty cool. I've always wanted an Esquire, white blonde with a slim soft V neck.

13. omni43

omni43 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Virginia
    Only 3, might be a good idea to pick up a couple more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.