Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

'64 Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DrBanana, Feb 28, 2013.

1. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

I don't have a vintage tele but I have a '64 Jazzmaster -does that count?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013
  2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

Since it's Vintage Tele Discussion, I guess not.

3. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Admin Post
    No, it doesn't count. As Telex76 pointed out, the forum is called "Vintage Tele Discussion". So, I've moved your thread to the "Other Guitars" forum.

Thanks for your cooperation.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

I was just making a lame joke about being 4th to post, seeing as its been edited it doesn't work now.

Thought we weren't allowed to do that :(

6. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

7. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

Ok, here's a few photos taken by the luthier Graham Parker who I took her to a few years ago. There were a few buzzing problems he sorted out by setting it up properly.

Here's the blog I took the photos from http://grahamparkerluthier.com/2011/03/20/fender-guitar-repairsjazzmaster-1964/

image-2640816457.jpg

image-470906155.jpg

image-319718093.jpg

It's a great guitar, I got her about 13 years ago now, obviously had a re-finish at some time. I can't work out what the original colour was. Everything else is original except the pups which I changed to a pair of Novaks (the originals were too weedy, I still have them.) and I changed the volume pot cos that died.
    Tuning is rock-solid, the trem works beautifully, really smooth and returns to pitch perfectly. Really nice to play too, the neck is pencil-thin.

Here's something - I always thought this was an A neck as I've never played a guitar with such a narrow nut. This picture from Graham's blog is clearly marked as B - is this an error or did they actually make necks even narrower??

image-2186320354.jpg

8. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

9. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

That's sweet. Offsets have become my favorite!

10. Jipes

Jipes Tele-Meister

Beautiful instrument, the color is just gorgeous I love those Jazzmaster, a little question do you have any issue with the tremolo bridge accuracy ? I heard that many players are exchanging this part for a fixed bridge but cannot remember if it's on Jazzmaster or Jaguar.

I might try one which is for sell but would love to hear your experience !

11. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Agreed, a beautiful example of the Jazzmaster! Thanks for posting the photos!

The bridges on Jazzmasters and Jaguars are fine for accuracy.

The reason that some people change them to Mustang or Mastery bridges is because if you use light gauge modern string set and play with a heavy hand or do big bends, the stings tend to pop! out of the thread they're in.

The combination of a very shallow break angle of the strings going over the threaded saddles and much lighter modern string gauges and heavy-handed playing works against the threaded saddle design.

I shimmed the neck on my Jazzmaster to create a steeper break angle over the saddles and went to a heavier string gauge, that helped a lot.

12. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Sweet looking ax,these are on my wish list too.Nice color on yours.

13. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

The tuning on this is bang on, I can drop the pitch by almost a whole tone (remember these terms are only really built for wobble) and it comes back up perfect. Not nearly, but perfect. I guess it's well worked in by now.

I now use 10's but I used to use 9's and have no problem at all and this is the original bridge. There was a problem with buzzing but I glued up the offending Allen screws and there's no problem now.

Guess its a bit lucky - I have a JM trem on my Teleguar (in my profile pic) and that needs care and attention al the time.

Thanks for the comments, it's a special guitar I'm really lucky to have it, got it cheap(ish) before prices rocketed.

14. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

I know it's slightly heretic amongst the offset community but I installed the buzz-stop to stop the jumping string problem. Slightly ugly but works a treat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.