63 VVRI: Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Luthier Vandros, Jun 4, 2019.

1. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    You mean like this?

dannyh and Luthier Vandros like this.
  2. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You just went from suck to blow :lol:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  3. Luthier Vandros

Ok recapped using the “correct” 16uf filters. What a nice difference in touch and tone. Made just as much of a difference as the new tube set did. I want expecting much, but gained some very noticeable touch sensitivity and life about the tone. No increase in the noise floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

This thread seems like good evidence that those junky PCB amps are impossible to work on ;)

dannyh and Luthier Vandros like this.
  5. Luthier Vandros

Ha. The cap job took all of 30 min including tear down and button up. Not bad! Now, what to do with those tone robbing spade connectors..??

Ignatius likes this.
  6. tweedman2001

Thanks for the great info. I have a blonde CVR that I am getting ready to do the Moyer Mods to get it to a VV. Nice to know that you're liking the “correct” 16uf filters. Any more thoughts about that 47uf/350 cap feeding v5?

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  7. Luthier Vandros

Hey, bub. It’s my pleasure. I have 16uf caps all the way across now. If there’s a plate’a gettin’ fed, it’s suckin’ on the ol’ 16uf teet. Sorry been a long day.

Quick anecdote about the CVR. A guy I used to live across had one. I never knew what they were and saw it so infrequently, I didn’t know it wasn’t a Vintage amp. In fact, it wasn’t until I saw a pic of his that I noticed the word “custom” on the faceplate.

Anyway, I loved and I mean LOVED the tones coming out of it. I don’t know if his was modded or not, but. I recall him saying it’s perfect for him bc it would break up right around 4 on the dial, which worked for the stages he played.

I can’t tell you with any certainty that I wouldn’t like the CVR more than the 63 VVRI. Lately my playing is limited to bedrooms. 15 years of stages and I’m now in a bedroom situation. It’s all about finding an amp that gives up the goods in the room you predominantly play in. I’m starting to wonder if I’m unwittingly modding the VVRI into a CVR ha! These are strange times.

Edit: I went back and forth between 6l6gcs and wgbs. Ended up with the wgbs. Bias needs to be adjusted a bit - I can tell bc the trem intensity isn’t as adjustable.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Axis29 likes this.
  8. tweedman2001

Yeah, I love my CVR but I would like to get rid of more of the hiss and increase the reverb as it's weak. Already have a negative feedback control pot in it now. I also put in NOS Tung Sol 5881s. So I guess if I do the Moyer mods the nfb pot will work in reverse to remove it not add. LOL. Also I've heard that my stock speakers are preferred over the Oxfords in yours or the Jensens in the later CVRs. But I have never been able to compare mine to others. I just know that the Eminence blue frame Alnicos sound great. They also were smoking in a 59 BassmanRI that I used to have.

Here's a couple of pix. When I used to play out I would occasionally put it on top of a VibroKing 2x12 loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s. Sounded awesome. And it was easier to move my stuff then my bud's 4X12. LOL

Anyway, thanks again and enjoy that puppy.

nbmz9tsv1svm157dmva00rzxhm.jpg 2013-12-09 14.44.11.jpg Eminence.jpg

Axis29, dannyh and Luthier Vandros like this.
  9. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Didnt Big Al Anderson of N.R.B.Q. play through one if these?

10. Luthier Vandros

Dude that little stack looks great! That’s a smokin’ little amp for blues and rock.

Yah, I yanked the oxfords. I began to hear what the other guys were complaining about.

I’m in a strange place. I’m still not sure this amp is right for my situation. I may end up with a dang Princeton sized amp in the end. The 63 VVRI sounds so good though and it’s got the most vast reverb I’ve heard on any amp I’ve played or heard; it’s just a lot of amp for a small room in the house. I may have to move it to the garage or continue downsizing. I’m going to finish biasing it today and will take it from there.

11. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There was a time when my VVRi was the only amp I owned. I wasn't gigging, and was playing in a tiny bedroom. I had sold my DRRi to purchase the VVRi and was super happy I'd done it. Low volume playing with the VVRi was ten times better sounding than the DRRi.

At one point, later in life, I owned The VVRi, a PRRi (with a V30 in it) and a '69 Vibrolux Reverb. The PRRi, tonally, sat exactly in between the VR and VVRi. Low volume playing was pretty good on the VVRi and PRRi, the VR was good sounding, but pretty punchy at low volumes... Too much for small bedroom playing. I ended up letting the PRRi go because the Vintage 30 made the amp just as heavy as the VR. So any grab and go functionality was kinda neutralized. I honestly think the Vintage 30 was the downfall of that amp in that particular situation. The V30 ws pretty efficient and made low volume playing not very realistic....

Of course, these days, my main practice amp is my high power tweed Twin (which I play at conversation levels all the time). So, who the heck am I to give any realistic advice? LOL

tweedman2001 and Luthier Vandros like this.
  12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Last time I saw him with NRBQ he was using an old brown Super-Amp.

13. Luthier Vandros

That’s some great context. The truth is this amp is stunning all across the volume pot! Low or high volume, it’s glorious.

I ended up adding an adjustable bias pot in the stock location, expanding the pre-existing hole by the PT. Really easy mod and useful.

Axis29 likes this.
  14. Luthier Vandros

I realize how long-in-the-tooth this thread is getting, but man, the honeymoon never ends with this thing. After a night away from the amp, I plugged in and was blown away by the clean tones. This has to be the finest and most iconic sounding amp I've ever owned. But! I've just run 3 different ODs through her and holy mack'ral! It's a whole new world.

I've seen warnings about running a mid-heavy OD like the TS through it, but the Route 88 sounds majestic at mid-drive levels. The more transparent Open Road sounds nicer, but a bit more scooped, which should make it a better pair, but it's also got an untweakably massive low end, which makes the amp a bit boomy. Finally, the WA Warhorn, which is like a more transparent or flatter TS circuit is massively glorious. Boosting the Route 808 with either is sweet!

I don't want to get lost in metaphors here, but the mids in this amp, even boosted are in all the right places. It's not a wall of mids with the pedals as I thought it would be. The strat sounds epicly stratty in all positions. Hottdam!

gridlock likes this.
  15. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Preach it brother!!!

Wanna have a lotta fun? Try a Keeley Fuzz Head or one of the Dunlop BOG Fuzzes! Love me some germanium grit on top of the creamy, warm, mids of the VVRi!

What's really entertaining, when I bought mine, what ten or twelve years ago, these still hadn't found a following. You couldn't really find much info about them either... other than the fact that the Oxfarts were muddy and flubbed out.

Like you, when I first plugged into it, I was gobsmacked! (what a great British phrase, huh?)

16. Luthier Vandros

How bout a hallelujah!

Haha I’m absolutely excited about this amp. I can’t wait to try some gnarly fuzz boxes! This thing also loves humbuckers!

The scary thing is I have no excuse not to focus on learning or practicing now. My tones are sorted out finally and I’m gonna need to find a distracting project or else I’ll have to practice again lol.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 9:30 PM
    Axis29 likes this.
  17. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

ugh..... this thread needs to die, the g.a.s. is real.

I really don't need to be pricing out VVRI's and VIBROKINGS.

Axis29 and Luthier Vandros like this.
  18. Luthier Vandros

Luke, come to the brown side

Axis29, tweedman2001 and Fiesta Red like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.