63 VVRI: Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Luthier Vandros, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    gridlock, theprofessor and grolan1 like this.
  2. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I don't hate PCBs. Can I still post? Glad the amp came together for you. My experience w/ relatively straightforward Fenders is that a good combination of excellent tubes can be a big payoff, and it sounds like your swaps worked well. I don't know what speaker is in that one, but at times that can be a problem, too. But the main reason I am posting is to finally say that your username is one of the greatest of all time. Cracks me up every time I read it.

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Love it! Wish I had one! Have you posted pics of it somewhere yet? If not, please do.

4. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Fender really needs to re-reissue this amp!

5. Luthier Vandros

Pics will come! Sound too if possible.

Jrblue ha! No one’s mentioned the handle before. It makes me laugh, too. It’s very subtle.

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

...ok, just noticed the " i "...just read it as the singer's name, minus one "s"...

congrats on the new amp, btw. sounds great!

7. Luthier Vandros

Thank you! Even came with the original manual and schematic. Very cool.

teletimetx likes this.
  8. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Sounds great, I’m sorry that I let my ‘63 Vibroverb RI go.

Congrats and we need photos.

663BB729-A133-4632-850B-F06CE630B211.jpeg

Fiesta Red and Luthier Vandros like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I'll take the 64 RI.

10. Luthier Vandros

My post disappeared lol. I’ll fix it: bought 63vrri from fellow tdpri dude. Amp rocks and inspires.

11. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Another convert! I love my 63 VVRI! There are those that say they don't sound like a "real" '63 Vibroverb, but with only 600 made, how many have heard the real thing. The VVRI makes the brownface sound available to the masses.

12. Luthier Vandros

Dude - even with the original “dark and murky” drivers and fender special design tubes, the amp has major mojo. Stock, it sounds great - and this is coming from a former Top Hat, Fargen, blahblahblah owner. Nothing muddy here on the original equipment. Very woody and touch sensitive, which is impressive for an amp with a SS rectifier.

I’m still tempted to haul out the chassis punch, octal socket, and filament transformer just out of curiosity. How much better could it sound? This question has less to the demise of many fine amps.

The upgraded NOS tubes and GA10-SC64 speakers do push it up a few notches, but that’s for you to decide on your own. Had I not read the negative anecdotes about how muddy and lifeless the amp would be without them, I wouldn’t have known. Then again the amp came with the original tubes and drivers, which have just a few hours on them, so there’s that.

It’s also eerily quiet in operation. No reverb buzzing; no hun: no random pops or hissing that I experienced with the boutiques I’ve owned. You can tell someone played the hell out of the amp. It’s seen a few trunks, but it hasn’t been neglected or abused. It’s been serving it’s purpose under a mature pair of original owners.

I’m looking forward to photo documenting this unusual beast this week!

Edit:

Forgot to mention that the amp sounds amazing with the strat. Just enough sparkle and the mids and bass are in perfect proportions. First time in life I LOVE a strat bridge tone. Love 10’s. Just love 10’s with guitar!

I put the reissue oxfords back in and still love the amp. Very smooth speaker that’s just a little less dimensional than the GA’s are. Plenty of treble response available at the treble pot to compensate. Got to play with the volume on 4 and the amp really starts to come alive. Very surprised at how good the tones are at 2 on the dial, where one can play in the latter hours.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Axis29 likes this.
  13. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Sounds a bit familiar. The Dr. Z Z-28 is based loosely on a brown Deluxe. It says so (or did at one time) on his website. I can't tell you how many internet posts about the Z28 I've seen where someone says "It sounds like a Brown Deluxe to me." All I know is that I've been playing for over 30 years. I've been in countless gig situations with other players, I've been to their houses, their gigs, and to a ton of music stores - and I've never even seen a Brown Deluxe. Amazing how many people have, though...:D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  14. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    I've thought of doing that myself but I might go the copper cap route. Supposed to sound like a rectifier tube and no filament transformer needed.

15. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

When I got mine I swapped the non-OE, mismatched speakers for a pair of Jensen P10R's from my CVR, which I them sold. For what I play, the P10R's sound good. Pushed just beyond breakup, it sounds wonderfully wooly, but a bit more refined than my old 5E3.

Sounds so good, I've had folks come closer to check out what I was playing through at gigs.

16. Luthier Vandros

Disassembly/cleanup. Nothing of interest to report, except a broken octal tube retainer and some atomized substance on the inside edges of the chassis (maybe some aerosol pot cleaner). Have a pair of proper Beltons on the way. Pretty stout construction, otherwise - easy to service. Not bad, Fender. Not bad. Pardon the jumbled pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

That looks fantastic. Even if they're not as good as the GA-10's, I'd like to hear the Oxford reissues myself. And I love the look of that big honkin' power transformer!

18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

In my not-so-humble opinion, One of the best amps of all time. I’ve played all kinds of Fenders and Marshalls and Supros and Gibsons and...

And the one constant that I’ve always come back to is the ‘63-reissue Vibroverb.

Equally great for harp or guitar.
    Takes pedals well but doesn’t have to have them.
    Louder than an in-law on a tear...but sounds good at lower volumes.
    Reasonable size and weight.
    And it looks great...

19. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have one. It's a little dark for my taste, even with upgraded speakers. But it sounds pretty good with the bass turned down to 2-3, and the treble on at least 7.
    That is a great looking amp you've got there.

20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

When I saw Richard Thompson in 2000 he was playing through one of those.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.