Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

63 Vibroverb (RI) Volunteers

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Chris S., Oct 29, 2015.

1. deNitro

deNitro TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Southern Karelia, Finland
    Here's mine. I bought it new in 1990.
    The old Oxfords were torn to pieces some years ago.New speakers are Jensen JCH 10/35.
    Serial number is AB 00570.
    A lovely amp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fiesta Red likes this.
  2. deNitro

deNitro TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Southern Karelia, Finland
    I hope this helps;

http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/amplifier-product-dating/

A = 1990
    B = February

And some data of the amp. It was made from 1990 to 1995.

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/

Cheers,

deNitro.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Holic

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mark Demo

Mark Demo TDPRI Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for those links, deNitro. I was just about to do a search for the date on mine, which still has the original Oxfords and spends most of its time in the original shipping carton.
    Not because it does not sound great, it does over 20 years later! The Quilter Micropro just takes up less room and I play acoustic guitar much more than my tele.
    Bought the VVRI brand new in the early 90's off a lawyer who had received a few new ones as payment for a job instead of cash.

Mark

6. Wilse

Wilse TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2017
    England
    Just got my first Vibroverb and absolutely love it. Has had the grill cloth changed but other than that seems to be all original. It has the original Oxford speakers which I am think of changing due to their age, so discussions around which speakers to replace them with are interesting. There is a problem with the reverb though; it hardly works when turned up and also adds a lot of hiss. Is this a common issue on these amps?

7. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    No, the reverb on this amp should be warm, and big, surfy sounding when up above 4.

I think the Alnico Golds and Eminence Blue Frames seem to be the most popular. I still have a mix of Jensen C10R/P10R in mine. I am actually surprisingly happy with this tone, considering all the bashing the Jensens get. Although, I have been tempted recently to go Eminence (I just can't justify the cost of the Golds right now).

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Holic

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I have some basic Eminence speakers loaded in mine, but I've heard some great things about Kendrick Black Frames.

9. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    Axis29 is dead on re: the reverb. As far as speakers, I replaced the Oxfords with a pair of Jensen P10Rs, which was a major improvement. Then I spotted a deal on a pair of Eminence 1028Ks, so I swapped those in, and I'm completely happy. You might also try asking your questions over in the Amp Central forum, as this is an owners club, and probably doesn't see as much traffic. CS

10. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    Mine! I bought it new in 1992. Great amp! Replaced all the tubes long ago.. Put 2 new 10 inch Emi 1028ks in it about 6 yrs ago.. Much better speakers. Vibroverb Reissue.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  11. Rod Parsons

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    Your serial number... AB01469 is not the date. The date on my amp is under the tube chart, inside the cabinet, on the inspection tag. That tag is on the back right side of the chassis on most amps,[I believe] Vibro tube chart.jpg , next to the extension speaker input.... On mine, CG is hand written on the tube chart itself. It stands for July 1992... A=1990, B='91, C=92... G is the 7th letter in alphabet and 7th month, = July.

12. Rod Parsons

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
  13. Wilse

Wilse TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2017
    England
    Thank you everyone for your kind replies - really helpful and interesting. Obviously I need to sort out the reverb issue - I had a look at the preamp valves and some of them look very old, the 12AT7 in particular. Is this the valve which drives the reverb system? If so, a simple swap out would be easy enough to see if this is the problem. I'm having a look at the speaker options online and using YouTube for reference videos. What is the correct ohm rating for the amp? And what ohm rating should I use for the extension speaker option, if I want to connect another cab to the amp whilst still running the internal speakers? Thanks again for making a newbie feel at home so quickly.

14. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    The amp is looking for a 4 ohm load. The two 8 ohm speakers are wired to make a 4 ohm load.

Yes, the 12at7 is probably the reverb driver.... Or the phase inverter (if it's next to the power tubes, it's the PI). Check here for a good tube layout diagram.

15. Rod Parsons

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    The output transformer ohm rating is 4 ohms. Two 8 ohm speakers wired in 'parallel' equals 4 ohms. I am not sure about what speakers to use for the 'speaker out' jack. I never thought about using it, myself. The amp is plenty loud as it is..... Oops! Axis beat me to it..

Axis29 likes this.
  16. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Timing is everything.... :)

Rod Parsons likes this.
  17. Wilse

Wilse TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2017
    England
    Thought I would post a recording of the reverb issue to check with experienced VV users that I am right in thinking something is wrong. Let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks.

18. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Yeah, your ten is my three....

I'll try to grab a recording of mine tonight or tomorrow morning, if nobody beats me to it.

19. Wilse

Wilse TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2017
    England
    That would be great Axis29 - many thanks. A comparison with another VV which is working properly would be helpful in knowing what mine should be like.

20. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2009
    donegal ireland
    5751 in v1, 12ax7 in v2, 12at7 in PI..

21. Rod Parsons

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    Tube #3 is the reverb driver and tube #4 is the reverb return and 2nd gain stage of channel two. Tube #4 should be a 12ax7, as indicated on the tube chart inside your amp. Both of those tubes must be working properly. If they aren't, then your reverb will be weak. Use channel #1's tube, [spare tube?], as a sub, to see if that works in slot #4, if you are sure that tube #3 is working well. If that doesn't work, maybe the pin holes for your tubes are dirty? Good luck..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.