Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

63 Vibroverb (RI) Volunteers

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Chris S., Oct 29, 2015.

1. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    Okay, I just got mine. Who else has theirs? (Or a Custom Vibrolux Reverb with Moyer Mods?) CS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

2. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2014
    North of There, NY
    I've got a '95 CVR that I put a NFB pot in years ago. Probably do the rest of the Moyer mods this winter as I decided I like the cleaner sound with more headroom. I don't use the extension cab much any more but it's a VibroKing cab with the grill cloth changed to match the CVR. Sounds awesome mixed with the open back Eminence alnico speakers. I always loved the brownface and white tolex with wheat cloth. :D

Attached Files:

3. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    You know I'm in!

I've had my '92 for a while now. I swapped out speakers and have done some tube rolling.... Oh, and played the heck out of it!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I've owned a modded CVR for about 5 years now, and love the tone. It has become "my sound". But I ran across a nice clean 1990 '63 VVRI on Craigslist (I've GOT to stay off CL!), and I decided I had to have the look to go with the sound. It came with non-OE mixed speakers so after some comparison, I swapped the P10R's from the CVR into it. Even though it's the same circuit and all, VVRI sounds slightly different than the CVR, even with the same speakers. Maybe it's just the type of tubes or bias, but it does sound sweeter.

vibroverb.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016

6. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    I have one. No mods.

7. Jazzer2020

Jazzer2020 TDPRI Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Canada
    I've got one.
    Just swapped the Oxfords for Celestion G10N-40's.
    I bought mine used about 10 years ago.

8. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    I recently replaced the stock "Oxfarts" with a pair of RI Jensen P10Rs. I know they get trashed a lot on the Interwebs, but these were used when I bought them, and well broken in. They sound great: tight round bass, strong mids, sparkly top end without any icepick. 100% improvement over the old speakers. :cool: CS

Attached Files:

9. Jazzer2020

Jazzer2020 TDPRI Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Canada

Interesting.
    I was considering the C10Rs but decided to go with the Celestions the last minute.
    So far I am liking them, definitely an improvement.

I made another mod on the amp last year, when I separated the combo into head and speaker cab.

10. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    Im curious to hear how it sounds. Did you give it a closed back cabinet, a la Tremolux?
    My CVR is redundant since I bought a VVRI, and I've contemplated making the CVR into a head to use with my Bandmaster 212 cabinet. It would be a backup/replacement for the Bandmaster VM.

11. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Atlanta/Rome, Georgia, US
    As you know, Chris, I have two '63 reissue Vibroverbs. I replaced the Oxfords in one of mine years back with Reverend All-Tone 1025s, and fairly recently with Warehouse American Vintage Veterans in the other one. JJ's tubes. Otherwise stock.

Have gigged the Vibros more than any other amps through the years, definitely a personal fave.

12. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

Nice looking LP, btw

13. Jazzer2020

Jazzer2020 TDPRI Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Canada

I just had a cabinet built for the head and used the combo's existing cab for the speaker. So the speaker cab is still open back.

I had built a solid wood filler for the top front, where the amp chassis used to sit, but modified it (cut out most of it) when I discovered I liked the sound even more with that open gap.

So it's open-back and open-front. :)

14. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I'd call that a "ported" cabinet:cool:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016

15. VAtele

VAtele NEW MEMBER!

Dec 3, 2015
    Fairfax, Virginia
    I recently acquired a 63 VVRI. Love it. I bought and sold 6 amps over the past few months in my search and landed on the VVRI. Came with Jensen C10Q's installed and the original Oxfords in a box. Just today I installed a Weber 10A125 & 10F150. Almost went with Eminence 1028's. Had a highly recommended amp tech (Burke Hunn of Hunn amps) install bias pot and replaced filter caps after inspection. new JJ glass throughout.. ecc803 in V4. beautiful sounding amp.. complex harmonics, great reverb and trem. Growls when pushed. and looks cool to boot. Just thought I'd share (my first post)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016

16. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    Since I bought the Vibroverb, the CVR has been kind of in the way in my home practice space (aka spare bedroom). So I took it to band practice rather than dragging the Bandmaster VM along.
    I've used it there in the past when it had the stock P10R's in it and although it sounded sweet, it just didn't seem aggressive enough. But now the CVR has a 70's Oxford and a C10N speaker (from the Vibroverb) in it. The speaker change seems to make the CVR sound more aggressive and gutsy. The other guitarist (Marshall guy) thought the CVR was "too small" when I used it before, but after last night's practice he said he likes the CVR better than the Bandmaster.
    I'm seriously thinking of selling the Bandmaster VM head and just using the CVR as is, or maybe as a head for the 212 cabinet....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016

17. PeterVV

PeterVV Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2011
    South Wales, UK
    I have a cvr that I've had the more mods. Now a lot quieter, and also less volume. Before the mods you could hear the guitar with the volume on 0!!!

18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I gigged one for years.
    I only sold it because my sound definitely comes from a 5E3 and I needed dough for a clone to have a back-up for my '56.
    The VVRI, though...I miss it!
    With bass, treble and volume on 10, it was one of the coolest sounds I ever heard.

19. jeff mercer

jeff mercer TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2011
    sydney australia
    Hey all.
    I've had my VVRI for coming on 10 years now..it's looking a little the worse for wear these days, but still a great-sounding & reliable amp.
    Question..
    Some of you guys here seem to know the year of manufacture of your VV's..how do you work that out ? Serial number of mine is AB01469..is there a code in there that tells you the year ? Not that it matters, I'd just be interested to know..given that these are still somewhat obscure, it gets a lot of attention from other players at gigs, and
    I'm often asked "how old is that amp ?".
    Thanks, guys.

20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I don't have a definitive date of mine--I contacted Fender with the serial number and they said their books are a little shaky from that period. I bought it new in late 1992, so I just proclaim it to be a 1992 (it obviously can't be any later than that)...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016

21. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Here's the pics of mine...I bought it new in 1992 from the sadly-defunct Jam Music and Sound in Arlington, Texas.

I replaced the original Oxford-style ten-inchers when they blew out after nine years of near-constant use (circa 2001).

I also added the sticker of my band's logo on the side, and branded her with an armadillo (my band is the Screamin' Armadillos) in case she wandered away from the herd. The ceramic cow skull over the indicator light was a gift from my wife before we started dating--it just looks cool with the red glowing eyes. :cool:

I've replaced the tubes once and replaced the preamp tube in the normal channel with a lower-gain 12AY7, in order to facilitate that channel for harmonica playing...harp mics don't like high-gain tubes (too much feedback!)

Here's the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

deNitro and Chris S. like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.