Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

'62 RI or Hayrides?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by labjr, Mar 20, 2017.

1. labjr

labjr TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Boston
    I want to build a parts caster with old country twang. I like the idea of Don Mare Hayride set. I did notice there's a popular Fender '62 RI. That bridge P/U that comes with a bridge, Is that popular because it only costs like $55? or is it really good? I mean, will the Hayrides smoke it?

2. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Never tried Hayride pickups but the stock 62 RI pickups sound fine to me.

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Both good selections. What's your budget.

A lot of options out there these days on "twangy" Tele pickups.

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    No, the 62 are NOT to be evaluated by the price. Just buy one and thanks fender for selling them cheaper than they should ! My fav tele bridge pickup. I think the reason they may be cheap, tho just a guess, is that they may have had a tone of them leftover from when they were making the AVRI 62 custom tele and have been blowing them out cheap since. Been a while since it was discontinued tho so i may be wrong. But in any case, don;t look a git horse in the mouth, go for it.

Slammintone likes this.

5. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    '62 one of my faves. A great all rounder at a great price. get 'em while you can.

6. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    That price for the '62 plus bridge can't be beat. They are wonderful pickups, I bought two with the Pat Pend bridge for the same price from Ebay. I may buy a few more as I continue building teles. They won't be around forever.... Many have stated, [here on TDPRI], that they are their favorite pickup of all. The bridge alone, costs $40.00. Where else can one get a CS Fender pickup, that sounds so good for $15.00. And the Pat Pend bridge is my favorite bridge of all..

7. labjr

labjr TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Boston
    Thanks for all your replies. I may get a couple then. Any favorite neck pickups that go well with it?

8. labjr

labjr TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Boston
    I don't have a budget. However, I don't want to go crazy buying selling and swapping put parts constantly. I'd rather avoid some of the common mistakes that first time builders make.

I like the Bakersfield sound. So I'm shooting for something along that line. Any other suggestions for a first time buyer of other parts would be appreciated.

9. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Yes. Most do. I think. My own favourite is the '64. Others are... the'62, of course, and it works well with the MIM Classic 60s neck (really pretty nice IMO) and the Twisted Tele.

Iago likes this.

10. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I have a Cavalier Bakersfield Lion that gets pretty twangy. Pair that with the Lion King neck pickup, that makes a nice set.

My PV58's have plenty of twang.

There's always the DiMarzio "Twang Kings". I don't personally have those, but receive good reviews.

What you've already mentioned are good choices too. This would all be so easy if there weren't so many options out there, wouldn't it?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

11. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    I've heard the regular Fender 62 Custom Tele neck goes well with it, and so does my modded Classic 60's neck pickup (that's another story...). Anyway, I like bright tones, do you? So, I'd think about Dimarzio Twangking neck, Fender Twisted Tele, GFS 52 professional...

12. labjr

labjr TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Boston
    Yes, I love bright loud clear twang. That's how I'm hoping the '62 bridge pickup is. I've noticed that a lot of people I know take Strats and Teles and try to turn them into Gibsons with humbuckers etc. Not me!

Iago likes this.

13. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I like the 62 pickups and have not tried the Hayrides. However, if given the option between the 62's and any set of Don's pickups, I'll take the Mare's thank you very much!

WaylonFan76 likes this.

14. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    Watched a quick video Owen posted of his Buckaroos and ill be fanned if it didn't sound just like Roy Nichols.

15. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I presume you mean Owen Duffy from O.C. Duff Pickups...

I've owned his Plankster/Big Boy set and his Guardsman set and been very pleased with both. His Buckaroos are designed expressly to get that 60's Bakersfield tele sound.

16. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Does anyone know what the real specs are on the 62 pickups? I've seen 6.89k A3 for the bridge. Another site said A2, but I don't believe that. Don's Hayrides are A5 wound to 6.4k, and his pickups are unpotted which you may or may not like. The latter is what scared me away from buying his 0038 bridge for my Esquire. I had even talked to him on the phone. I ended up buying a Mojotone Broadcaster clone and I haven't regretted it. You may want to consider their 'Classic' set which is A5 wound to 6.5/6.8k, but the bridge has flat poles, not staggered. I think $160 for a quality hand wound set is pretty reasonable.

Edit: Actually, it's $150 with a chrome or nickel cover.

17. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Forgot about Owen Duffy.....great guy and talented winder.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Mare Bakersfield A3 set comes to mind... I haven't played them, but they're on my short list.

I love the sets I currently have: Stuart Blackguards (A3, clarity, 3D sounding); Fender AV58 (that Bakersfield sound, in an A5); Fender AV64 (also A5, jeeez it's a good pickup...)

19. labjr

labjr TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Boston
    I'm curious about those too. I haven't been able to find a video review or comparison. I spoke to Don the other day and he suggested the Hayrides first, But I like authentic vintage sound.

20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I think Don sells the Bakersfields in either A3 w/brass cover or A5 w/nickel silver cover.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.