Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

60s reissue pickups polarity

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ZuluNov, Sep 19, 2017.

1. ZuluNov

ZuluNov NEW MEMBER!

Jul 17, 2017
    Jacksonville FL
    i just had the Emerson custom 4-way prewired kit installed. The tech guy called and told me that both my pickups (neck,bridge) are north polarity so there an abnormal amount of hum in the 2 and 4 positions. He said usually one of the pickups are a south polarity but not on my guitar. Does anyone know if this is a mess up or is it suppose to be like that? Just curious.

2. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    It's normal. Not many stock tele pickup sets have the reverse wound, reverse polarity setup that gives the humcanceling. You usually have to specify to the pickup manufacture, or plan ahead and get pickups that you can wire to hum cancel when used together. It's definitely preferable when using the 'series' position especially.

For whatever reason RWRP middle pickup became a standard thing on strats, but it's fairly rare on teles from the factory, to get pickups that give hum canceling when both are utilized.

asnarski likes this.

3. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    My fender OV pups are setup with a 4 way and they definitely are not RWRP and do not provide hum cancelling. Neither do my Quarter Pound set from what I have read (not installed yet). However, the Nashville Deluxe does, but that is because the Strat Tex-Mex in the middle is RWRP.

I feel like there is a bit of high end loss on Nashville when it is hum-cancelling (may change when I do the Fezz Parka mod). The series setting on the Fender OVs is AWESOME. It's noisier I guess, but not enough to bother me.

4. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Meister

If the pick-ups are a true 60's vintage there won't be RWRP pick-up.

5. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    My 65 AVRI Strat isn't RWRP, and many people feel that the Strat quack is lessened with it.

6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

For only a few dollars and a minimal amount of time. You can easily change the polarity of a single coil pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.