Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

60's modified es 335?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by fernandomp, Nov 5, 2015.

1. fernandomp

fernandomp TDPRI Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Spain
    Hi,today i saw an advert of an very used (or abused) vintage guitar. Seller claims it's a gibson that can be a great project, but logo has been removed?, headstock shape modified?, tuners holes are enlarged and a gibson logo whas draw on it, and maybe the f holes had been enlarged. In the f hole, where it's suposed to be the gibson brand too, there is a thoroughbred music logo. As i saw, that was a music shop in the US, but i don't know too much about it... Could the shop put their own brand in step of the gibson one? This guitar could be a very good project at a good price if it's real, but by the moment i only had the advert photos and the seller's word. I ask him for more detailed photos, one of them from the bottom of the pickup. I'll post when he send them.
    Here are the photos. Any comments will be wellcome. Thank you in advance
    (Im from spain, so sorry for my english...)

Attached Files:

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    It looks like a real Thoroughbred Music label, except it's misspelled and says "Troroughbred".

The label is probably real though, I don't see why they would fake it. The question is now if there was a real Gibson run for them, or it's some kind of copy.

You could try writing Gibson, I'm not sure their records go so far. It could be anywhere from the 1960s-1980s.

Or maybe ask on a Gibson forum about the details (headstock, f-holes, neck..). You might want the back of the headstock too, did they always put serial numbers on there? I'm not a Gibson expert.

3. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2003
    Ohio
    It's not a Gibson. Run away from this one.

4. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Looks like it has a zero fret, and that isn't a Gibson style truss rod opening.
    Avoid, it looks nasty.

5. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    It's always a good idea when authenticating guitars to insist on high res photos showing the guitar face on instead of looking down or across. Even so, plenty of red flags with this guitar. The headstock isn't Gibson work: it's the wrong shape for any 60s instrument and it's rather crudely carved, I'd hazard a guess an amateur attempt at reshaping a non Gibson headstock. Hard to tell much about the body from the photo but the heel and F holes are way off the real thing. A head on photo of the top and back and a close up of the pickup cavity would probably shed light on what its origins might be but if you're looking for a real Gibson I wouldn't waste any more time on chasing this one.

6. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty sure that it says Thoroughbred, it's just a bit of damage to the label that makes the H look like an R.

But no, it's not a Gibson and they've decreased the value of whatever it originally was. For the right price though, it could be an interesting guitar, but only if very cheap.

7. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2012
    West Sussex Uk
    Awful, avoid...
    Theirs a fairly new one in our local shop that apart from the wrong truss rod cover and lack of binding on the neck, and rough fretwork, doesn't look to bad. The red label inside gave the game away, it says made in Kalamazoo!
    I showed them a picture of my friends genuine 1971 Kalamzoo, they seemed shocked..

8. fernandomp

fernandomp TDPRI Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Spain
    Thanks you so much to everyone, i recived more detailed photos and its definetively not a Gibson. The bridge an stop tail are the same that korean samicks and epiphones used in the late 80's so i think it's a korean copy, maybe a samick so i'll pasa on this. Thanks you so much.

Attached Files:

9. fernandomp

fernandomp TDPRI Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Spain
    Well, a strange thing if it was korean is that usa label insaid, maybe im wrong in the korea made, but it's clear that it's not a gibson

10. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Could simply have been imported by a music store - buy 100 pieces, get whatever you want on the headstock and have a nice mark up on them. The headstock has been reworked since new at the very least. It doesn't look like a Samick product but they were far from the only source of Korean instruments. The combination of fairly close body shape but funky looking bound F holes suggests 80s Far East to me.

335 clones rarely copy the actual construction of a 335 hense wanting to see the pickup cavity - the centre block should be a flat rectangle of Maple with Spruce making up the top part, the Spruce being easier to fit accurately to the top curve. Most copies are Maple through out and rarely seem to fit the top wonderfully well. Samick went with Mahogany for their early semis.

Is that a circuit board lurking in the treble side f hole? Interesting!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.