60s Fender Road Worn Strat - thoughts....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by grolan1, Jun 18, 2019.

1. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    On the fence to pick one of these up, I've had a soft spot for them for some reason. The older one with a rosewood fret board.

Any thoughts?

And why are the resell values so high compared to other Fenders?

2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I had one..

My favorite strat.. I sold it to my cousin before leaving my home country and work here in Oz.. He still has it, and I told him that I will buy it back.. Its the only strat I ever bonded and regret letting go..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wouldnt hesitate buying one again if my cousin doesnt want to sell it back to me.. Its just I have a family to feed first. LOL

grolan1 likes this.
  3. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

The road worn series, along with the Classic player series is, in my experience, the highest tier of craftsmanship coming out of the Ensenada plant. They pretty much hold their value reasonably well versus other MIM stuff.

While I do not own any MIM road worn series, I've had the chance to work on and play those instruments; they are well built, have great components, and are truly ready to gig out of the box. The fact that the RW series use nitrocellulose top coat could be of interest to a lot of players. For me, it's just a gimmick: the base coats are poly.

My only gripe is that the worn out areas are a little too weird-looking for me. I much prefer small dings and maybe some buckle rash versus whole areas that have been worn through.

Lastly, the neck feel on these guitars are nice. Not skinny, but a medium C.

awasson likes this.
  4. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I have one. It’s an awesome feeling and playing guitar. I’m gonna have to thin a few out, and I keep hesitating on the Road Worn. They just feel so good!

5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

The resale is high because they're really nice guitars.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Olympic white 60s strat for 9 years. Bought it new in 2010, just sold it a couple weeks ago. It was my favorite strat. Great quality. Looked awesome with more yellowing etc as it aged. Nice rosewood board with silky worn in feel from factory. The hardware aging was done really well on the early ones. Custom shop looks. They coped a lot of internet hate when they released. Mostly by people who had never played one.

20190518_212225.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

The resale value is high because if you want a worn look your choice is a Roadworn or a Custom Shop, if you want a new look there are dozens of choices.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.