Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

6 Sound Tele - Peavey Omniac Wiring + Series Switching - Help Required

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by barefoottele, Jan 6, 2016.

1. barefoottele

barefoottele NEW MEMBER!

Jan 6, 2016
    India
    Hi,

First time poster. I have been lurking without creating an account for years now.

I have a Raven West Neck Thru Tele and I am swapping out all the electronics now.

New Pickups: GFS Alnico Fatbody
    Wiring Schematic: Peavey Omniac 5 Way Wiring + Series Option via a Push Pull Pot.

Here is the current schematic:
    [​IMG]

Sounds with Push Pull pot down are:
    1. Neck
    2. Neck with cap to sound like a Jazzbox
    3. Neck + Bridge in Parallel
    4. Neck + Bridge half out of phase (strat in between type sound)
    5. Bridge

When I pull the push pull switch up, the only change I want is position 5 to be Neck + Bridge in Series like a humbucker, that is:

Sounds with Push Pull pot up are:
    1. Neck
    2. Neck with cap to sound like a Jazzbox
    3. Neck + Bridge in Parallel
    4. Neck + Bridge half out of phase (strat in between type sound)
    5. Bridge + Neck in Series like a Humbucker.

I would be extremely grateful if you could help me out with the wiring of the push pull DPDT pot in the attached schematic of the Peavey Omniac.

If the above switching system isn't possible by wiring then please suggest alternative ways to achieve series wiring.

Thanks in advance.
    Vatsan Sarathy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Welcome to the forum!

This is the closest I could get. As far as I can tell, to do any better requires either a 3 pole switch, or eliminating the caps to ground (because that would free up one bank on the 5-way).

Note: the original diagram is inconsistent with the legend. The 3.3nf and 2.2nf caps are switched. I chose to go with the legend, and drew it accordingly. Swap the values if you wish, no problem.

Also, the DPDT switch I drew can be a push-pull or a mini-toggle. I drew it standalone because the wiring is visually less crowded. If it's a push-pull, it's oriented correctly. The bottom terminals on the p-p (nearest the pot shell) are the UP position.

The only differences between the original and this one are the blue wires leading to the switch, the N+ and B+, which connect to the switch now, and moving the .01uf cap to the lower right 5-way bank, and replacing it with a plain wire.
    [​IMG]

3. barefoottele

barefoottele NEW MEMBER!

Jan 6, 2016
    India
    Thank you!

Thank you so very much for choosing to lend your expertise. This is incredible! :D

Looking forward to spending the weekend wiring this up. I also have to fashion a rear cavity cover to accomodate the 5 way super switch.

Vatsan

4. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    You're welcome. Good luck with it!

I forgot to mention: I didn't bother to draw in the treble bleed network (cap and resistor on the volume pot terminals). It has no effect on adding your series switch, so you should still do that, if you want a treble bleed. (If you don't want your tone to darken when rolling back the volume).

5. mwmoriarty

mwmoriarty TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarnia, ON Canada
    Do you know what the purpose is for the 6.2k resisitors?

6. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I can't remember. I got the general idea for the half out of phase circuit wiith cap and resistors, from a site that is no longer active.

7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

HoOP Resistor.

Something I have read and saved on it:

"The 6.2K resistors are mixing resistors - an attempt to prevent loading of one pickup by the other."

"Isolation resistors, sometimes called mixer resistors, is a passive means of providing some degree of isolation between input sources - to limit the extent of their interaction with each other."

per fumbler:

2. The resistor cuts off a bit of the total output. (It's wired in series just like a volume pot.). The higher value you use, the less of that pickup would be blended with the other pickup. Compare the recommended couple of k Ohms resistor with a typical 250k volume pot. It's only taking off a bit of volume. Like a volume pot rolled down to 9.5.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 7:34 AM
    moosie likes this.
  8. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    For the record, I don't "proudly host" anything on photobucket. Not anymore.

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 12.59.23 PM.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.