Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

6 metres of sumfink

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mat UK, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks Rick. The blanks came out well in the end with a really tight glue joint. The second blank was glued up in a much more orderly and calmer (stress on 'er' - def not calm) fashion. I'm very happy

2. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Had a couple of days of cuttin' and sleddin'

Neck blanks were rough cut and thicknessed

IMG_1532.JPG

And both body blanks thicknessed:

Jag style:39.5ish mm (was aiming for 40mm)

Tele style - 34.5mm (was aiming for 35mm and yes its thin, that's the plan)

IMG_1533.JPG

And jag style jigsawed out

IMG_1534.JPG

Show of hands who wishes they had a decent bandsaw...

*Mat's hand shoots up*

Jigsaws aren't much fun a especially with trying to avoid undercutting on turns - I think I avoided it

Next up sanding to the line all round

Unlike the jag, I'm doing the neck/pickup cavities before I cut it out... just to see how it goes

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Heed the advice of the site elders buy your last one first. Don't buy small and then upgrade every few years. Save for it. It ain't easy waiting 14-5 months but from experience I can tell you it's well worth it, especially the band saw!
    But hey, you got damn good results with that jig saw and I honestly always sand to the line so, you're good.

Looks awesome!

Mat UK likes this.

4. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    The glue ups look great! I have not tried glue ups yet...been buying premade blanks. Seems to be pretty simple solution...4 screws and angled aluminum.

Mat UK likes this.

5. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    I've batted off the temptation to go down the cheap and cheerful route with the bandsaw but having limited space, budget and justification I'm looking at a 10" bandsaw, I would be in a lot of trouble with my bank and more importantly girlfriend if I spent a £500+ on a tool!

The jigsaw is a decent tool for thinner man-made stock but it was a wrestling match with the thick poplar and worse trying to get it through the maple... i got there but it just means more sanding then I would have liked!

Glue ups in principal are so simple; two straight and square edges mushed together with a bit of glue... in reality it's given me a headache. After trying to be precise with my crappy shims and £30 straight edge, a £4 bit of functionless aluminium angle became the most useful thing in my toolbox... well for that one task anyway

6. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Nice work, Mat! The effort that went into the router sled looks to have paid off in a really nice finish.

A great job on the jointing, too. Now, for your next trick - let's see one done with hand planes :D

MoF0-01 has been having quite a workout tonight, and has eaten much wood in appreciation of your appreciation.

Keep a sharp eye on Gumtree & Ebay for a pre-loved one. There's a few of them crop up in London, the only issue will be transport. I had a 9" bandsaw originally, but got a pre-loved 14" one, and the difference is night and day in terms of ability. And I actually paid less for the 14" one than I did for the 9" one new!

Mat UK likes this.

7. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    No chance. I'm a millienial; unless it can be understood in 30 seconds or within 50 characters, It'll be impossible for me to apply myself to learning a practical skill like that!

I'm on constant lookout, but being in London there is so much competition for quality used tools...

I've had my eye on a Record Power BS250 for a while, that is the top of my budget; there is also this Lumberjack BS254

built in the same factory but with a couple of extras and comes in Candy Apple Red... well, ok then, just red.

Anyway I get it, buy your last tool first, or whatever it is... but I just can't! It's like telling a spotty 17 year old newly qualified driver "don't buy that cheap clapped out old Ford Fiesta, what you need is a Volvo V90 Estate, you'll get all the kids and grandchildren in that and it also has a towbar for your retirement caravan"

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    richa likes this.

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Brainy had purchased a new bandsaw not long before he died, and it looked to be a nice one; I recall it being reasonably priced. He was cutting some nice veneers and body shapes on it. As best I recall he was quite satisfied with it, so if you could swing £329, might be worth looking into. Says it includes VAT and free delivery in mainland U.K.

http://www.charnwood.net/component/hikashop/product/p10-premium-woodworking-bandsaw-b250

Take your GF out to dinner, then make her a nice bandsaw box with it as the first project. It's not like new shoes, but girls like you to do things for them and make them stuff.
    You could even buy her a new vacuum cleaner to express your undying affection--:eek::eek:-No, that was a Joke. Take from one of the eternally damned whose unredeemable soul will be stuffed in a rancid Hoover bag and expressed to the lowest reaches of hell--I implore you, do NOT buy women-folk vacuum cleaners. Unless, of course, you'd like to sleep alone. Outside. On a bed of nails and broken glass. In the rain--no, make that a howling blizzard. With rats eating your eyes out, and, well, you get the picture.

MM73, richa, Barncaster and 2 others like this.

9. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Can you believe that Rick is still able to communicate?

upload_2017-6-14_19-17-21.png

R. Stratenstein and Mat UK like this.

10. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Brilliant! :lol::lol::lol:

11. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Actually, I would offer the opposite advise...

If I had always bought my last one first, I would have spent a fortune on tools that it turned out I didn't really need. Or the wrong tools, since I wouldn't have any experience to tell me what features I would eventually find useful. And it would have taken years before I could build much of anything.

I'm using a nearly-bottom of the line 10" bandsaw, a Ryobi BS1001 (I think). I got it used on Craigslist for $80.
    It's a pretty crappy saw, but I've used it for 3 years, and it's my favorite of all tools.

That said, I'm REALLY looking forward to when I can upgrade.

12. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Great idea Rick. She's finishing a postgrad course soon, she was talking about going out for a nice posh dinner to celebrate - maybe she won't appreciate that. Instead a nice vacuum would be perfect - a shop vac has all the power she'll ever need for household chores and if she fancys running it outside to pick up all those loose nails and broken glass, all the better for me...

That's great, if it has Brainy's seal of approval then that's more than good enough for me - the Charnwoo's actually the same model as the Lumberjack bandsaw I linked to above but with a different livery. I'll compare the two and see what's domes out tops. Thanks for pointing that out!

13. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Brilliant

14. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Glad to hear that perspective, thanks. That is one of my concerns, the resale value for tools is pretty good in the UK so if it turns out that it isn't up to the job I'll invest in something bigger... but I doubt that will happen unless I start making money out this lark - which is unlikely!

Is there anything you can't do with the 10" that you wish you could do?

15. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Today's task: sanding to the line

IMG_1537.JPG

Two necks and jag body done

guitarbuilder likes this.

16. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The problem with a crappy bandsaw is that you really can't do anything useful in the guitar world with it that you can't do with a jigsaw, so it isn't really any upgrade, unless you are making jigsaw puzzles or marquetry. You need some HP to go through thicker and denser wood, the throat depth to cut a body out with ease, the height to resaw, etc. I know 3 wheel bandsaws are limited by blade thickness if that option came up. I'm not sure how those homemade bandsaws work, but I'd almost investigate building one before buying something that you are going to be really disappointed with.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Mat UK likes this.

17. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    I hear ya. I'll investigate homemade bandsaws, although I'm not sure I can fathom taking on such a project right now. What size hp motor are we talking about here in terms of being powerful enough for cutting bodies?

18. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    My main use right now for a bandsaw is cutting out bodies and resawing fretboards - I don't think resawing tops is on my list at the moment...

19. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I think 1/2-3/4 is the smallest you'll find on a cheap 14" saw. HP ratings are kind of nebulous these days too. FWIW, I watched a few youtube videos and it looks like some of the 9" saws can go through oak. They are sloooowww though.

Mat UK likes this.

20. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Ha. Talking of slow you should have seen my jigsaw cutting through the maple - even with a hardwood blade it produced enough heat to start a small fire - that was very slow, slightly smokey and very loud. Any improvement on that will be a plus!

Daniel94 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.