Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

6 metres of sumfink

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mat UK, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    It sure was... but actually, under the circumstances, it was wholly justified. This was the view from my office Monday morning :(

IMG_1474.JPG

The router approach is a good idea, and seems to be manageable - but in skilled hands; my attempts just feel straight up embarrassing. This is the only thing stopping me from rolling on with the build proper.

I'm pretty sure sulking will achieve the results I'm aiming for...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017

2. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Oh no! That's London Bridge, right? Its a shame that there can be so much violence in this world. I feel badly for the families and friends that have lost loved ones from these recent attacks. Every one of them taken too soon.

Mat UK likes this.

3. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Yeh that's right - and well said. An absolutely tragic loss... difficult to put into words really

4. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Pulled together some shims at work today. Just some printer transparencies chopped up - but I'm preparing myself for tomorrow's morning of super accurate routing. I won't be defeated... well, probably won't

IMG_1486.JPG

5. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Seems to me you're getting things dialed in by inches and I don't know another way. Everyone has to figure out a way of working that satisfies their sensibilities.

6. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Can you get you hands on a marble threshold 24 to 36 inches long? I slap 60 grit paper with (ugh) double sided tape on to one and finish my joints on that. It might be what gets you the seamless joint you want. I've had mild success using the router as a jointer. I found the set up to be as difficult a time as you are having and eventually gave up and got a bench jointer. I still use the marble threshold and sandpaper to make the joints clean.
    Glad to hear you are safe!

trouserpress likes this.

7. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Slowly slowly catchy monkey

Barncaster and richa like this.

8. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks Doc.

Good to know that it isn't just me that has struggled with it, youtube vids make it seems so simple! I'm going to have another crack tomorrow, getting close for all pieces - I've put a query in with a local kitchen supplier - so I'm going to follow your advice on the granite slabs and finish them off using your method. Cheers for the tips

DrASATele likes this.

9. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I tried the router and gave up. I have a piece of scrap quartz counter top and have used that too. It works but it takes some muscle and energy. I tried a square fence post and it works too and much lighter but with mixed results. I broke down and got a benchtop jointer this year and it's done in a minute or two and I end up invisible seams. I found I was filling in joints no matter how hard I tried to make them perfect by hand sanding.

10. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Sounds like this is turning into another case of 'right tool for the right job'!

magic smoke likes this.

11. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    IMG_1498.JPG Got these in the post today... now, if only I had something to clamp up

Greenmachine and MM73 like this.

12. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Marble, granite, steel ...perfectly flat.... any of them will do...I use double side to stick the marble to the bench and the sand paper to the marble... what I should have is a fence that's perfectly 90 degrees.
    If I didn't use my table saw so much I could probably just stuck the sand paper to that being a perfectly flat machined surface... so you may think you need something from the cabinet/kitchen makers or you might already have something (thinking outside the box)suitable...at least to get you started
    too bad those bar clamps were not just a touch wider, on the bar part, then you could fashion a fence and use one of them as a temp sanding station for jointing

13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Truth be told those countertop cutouts Reckless Rat spoke of would likely be flat enough. They're plastic on engineered sheet goods, with a reasonable tolerance.

However, I must cast my approval behind a router named MoFoo-1. Has an exotic, authoritative sound, with slight Asian bent. Perhaps if you tried one of those, Matt?

Whoever would have dreamed that an office view like that would be a scene of horror? there are some really Mo-Foo'd people in this world and no mistake.

14. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK

Hmmmmmm - I have a fence for the router, the main structure is large aluminium angle with a large hole for extraction/bit access etc - probably not good enough - I do have spare aluminium angle from my router sled project... that's an option. My heavy duty tool inventory doesn't actually include anything that heavy duty! Def nothing cast metal - so no luck there really... actually my bobbin sander does... but I'm not sure that would be big enough.

15. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Quite!

My triton is a Jo-Foo, the slightly less testosteroney version - if only life didn't come down to availability of cash or lack there of!

I do have a 30cm x 25cm plate glass for honing... maybe I could take advantage of that

16. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    This morning I tackled the fence approach again using my little 0.1mm shims.

It actually went ok, I have three of the pieces for the two bodies pretty straight. The tele body is almost there might need a stroke with some sandpaper.

The last piece started out well but I kept pushing my luck trying to get it as true as possibly - for some reason (and i suspect it's down to an MDF fence) the first part of the cut would snipe the length so you'll see in the pic one end of the seam opens a hair... but I'm tempted to glue it up anyway and hope I can place the template to miss it (although is know on my heart his is not acceptable!)

IMG_1507.JPG

Tomorrow I'm going to try using my spare aluminium angle. Held up against a straight edge it is pretty much spot on straight. So the plan is to drill some countersink holes and screw it to the wood with the aim of missing the guitar area - I guess I could always fill the holes anyway.

The saga continues

Attached Files:

richa and DrASATele like this.

17. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    HALLELUJAH!

I have finally got a good clean, tight joint! The aluminium angle screwed down as a bearing template worked a treat.

Thanks for all your suggestions/help - for such a simple outcome it sure took me a lot of stress and direction. A special mention should go to Marty - had I taken heed of his advice (his being the first reply when I first posted about about my troubles) in the first place it would have saved me the faff with fences and shims.

I used two screws per end, locating the pilot holes on the blank outside the guitar area. I left a 1-2mm area for routing, I took it in 3 passes, a light strarting cut, a second cut to the guide and a final cut to pick up anything missed.

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1512.JPG

and here's how the pieces line up

Jag body (ignore the Tele words)

IMG_1517.JPG

Tele body

IMG_1518.JPG

John Nicholas, richa and MM73 like this.

18. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    And here's the tele body glued up. Will I ever get to the point with glue ups where I don't panic frantically for the first few minutes!

IMG_1521.JPG IMG_1522.JPG

19. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    I found the adjustable side of the jaws on my new clamps skewed when the clamp was tightened - I knew all those dozens of random allen keys would come in handy one day

These are pre-glueup

IMG_1519.JPG

IMG_1520.JPG

R. Stratenstein likes this.

20. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    1. No. I've been a woodworker for close to 40 years, and especially with the struggle you've had to produce good glueing surfaces--or it could be a one-of-a-kind irreplaceable family heirloom, an inordinately expensive fine piece of wood, your last piece of matching wood--or for a million other reasons--glue up time is always good for elevated heartbeat, increased stomach acid, sweaty palms, etc. Nothing for it but one or more dry runs doing everything that will be done in the real event, so there are no bad surprises.

2. Brilliant application of the hex keys!

3. Blanks look very, very good. Well done, sir!

Mat UK likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.