Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

6 metres of sumfink

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mat UK, Dec 18, 2016.

1. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

C’mon Matty, let’s hear it!

3. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    +1 :D

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Tap, tap, tap, tappity-tapp-tap. hmm-hmm-hmm. . . . .

5. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Well I gotta say the way used the floorboards to accentuate the guitar in the photos showed some real visual sophistication. Oh...the guitar is stunning as well. :)

6. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I think Mat is a graphic designer. But yeah, you got to have good material to work with.

Mat UK and richa like this.
  7. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Friends. After 9 build absent months I’m finally back working towards finishing the Jaguar.

I spent a bit of time last week carving the tummy and arm cuts. I’ve gone shallow and subtle - I didn’t want to overdo it. I’ve also repaired the horn tear out I inflicted.

It’s now sanded up to 80grit. My next step is to fill some knots and dings with CA.

I’ve also got some shallow tear out from when I thicknessed the body on the sled - I should have sanded it out at the time with the random orbit... but alas I didn’t. I’ve had a good go at paddle sanding it out which has removed the majority - but deeper tear out remains so I will drop fill this too with CA.

Once the general sanding is done I’m going to move onto epoxy filling the grain. This will be my first go so wish me luck!

One question: Is epoxy over CA compatible? Or am I safer drop filling the knots etc with epoxy too?

Thanks. It’s good to be back!

371BDE04-8331-4AC0-B3F9-A7E2C4BE2B63.jpeg

guitarbuilder and nickhofen like this.
  8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
  9. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Let the good times roll!

Good to see you back at it!
    Whatever it was.

I think you were building a guitar or something.

Mat UK likes this.
  10. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Lookin good, Mat. I think you’re OK with epoxy over CA, but not sure. Kind of makes me want to finish all my home projects, and do some building.

Mat UK likes this.
  11. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Rick! We've missed you as well!

Mat UK likes this.
  12. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Wait... I thought I was building a chopping board?

You want to finish all your home projects in epoxy? I don’t think Mrs Stratenstein will appreciate you epoxying her prized Persian rug or newly hung floor to ceiling curtains...

I was scanning the forum for other builds the other day for inspiration and discovered this thread from 2012... I think it’s about time you build that jag, it’s been 6 years in the making... and start a thread while you’re at it.

Here, here! It’s got rather quiet around here - Innuendo and monkey references have all but disappeared!

13. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Neck and body fine sanded and ready for finish. Little mock-up time.

7C799DE7-9B13-4D20-9271-1849D79E785F.jpeg

Could someone help me with a sense check please? What depth should the pickup cavities be routed to? I’m not going to state what I have already done it to... just so I don’t bias things!

Thanks!

14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'd say control cavity 1.50 inches deep on a 1.75" body. Assuming you have pickguard mounted pickups, the others deep enough to accommodate whatever you are sticking in there with some clearance for wire. If they are body mounted, then I'd consider what you are using to act as a spring, or foam too. You probably don't need the pickups to go below the pickguard when in use.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Mat UK likes this.
  15. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    That’s the concern - I don’t have the cash at the moment for pickups, so I’m just trying to double check I’ve got the clearance further down the line... maybe I should contact the pickup makers and see what they’d recommend. Cheers

16. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

Aug 15, 2010
    London
    Mat UK likes this.
  17. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Excellent, thanks Trance - that is an incredibly useful link

18. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Actually, that’s not a bad idea. Everything encased in epoxy would make cleaning a breeze, throw away the broom, the mop, the Hoover, and just roll out the pressure washer. Bed might be a bit crackly, but certainly we’d get used to it.

It has been gestating for a while, perhaps when I finish the porch enclosure job, assuming I have fingers left, I’ll cart out the Jag project for a go. Rob and Jupe are in charge of the primate exhibit, I only visit from time to time.

19. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    I finally have some progress to show.

I’ve been spending the last couple of weeks finishing off the plates and pickguard (well almost).

Here’s where I’m at:

- copper plates have been cut, shaped and bevelled. (more than once on certain plates!)

- templates made for pickguard.

- pickguard routed.

- pickguard bevelled... badly, so abandoned.

Some pics:

B121C748-4B55-44B9-BA4F-3F1065CBC2EF.jpeg

9E5F8E18-8087-4207-A39F-90F0BCD4F270.jpeg

2907358F-2DF1-45F5-BF49-CDD161D9CE2E.jpeg

With the pickguard everything was going swimmingly, until I bevelled it. In a nut shell my router table isn’t setup particularly well - the plate isn’t perfectly level with the table - so it meant some horrible transitions where the template sat differently depending how it was resting...

What does this mean? Apart from the obvious - redoing the pickguard - I’m also going to have to make a new copy of the template. Blah, not the end of the world, but irritating.

95BD7188-2B64-404F-9B00-51B774D2B278.jpeg

It has done me one favour though - I don’t think I’m a fan of the three ply look. I’m going for a continuous bevel around the plates and pickguard - to my eye, the three ply makes it look like the bevel transition from plate to pickguard aren’t smooth (they aren’t perfectly anyway). So I’m going to try a solid white PG instead - see how that looks.

Being honest - making my own hardware is a headache and time consuming, I don’t know if it’s worth it!... and dare I say it... I’m not even sure if I even like the look of it.

Next steps:

- sand/polish the plates

- remake pickguard

Thanks for reading!

John Nicholas and guitarbuilder like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.