Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

6 metres of sumfink

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mat UK, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Built it up today - had a quick test, very pleased with the results, not that I have anything to compare it to!

F404424C-6009-413E-A7BD-B7087664252A.jpeg

Then tucked it in to sleep for the night

206F5268-D746-4FC2-B905-8F2F93A8140C.jpeg

Barncaster likes this.
  2. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

Cheers Mat. No matter what you do you need to get the spindle farther away from the base pillar mount. If you can be arsed pull the post from the reest of the assembly , lets see what you got. It's 50 dia ( from the spec ) is it hollow ? Prob will be as its a cheapie.
    If the ends that go into the mountings are clean and square then you can use them for the welds ( flip em over from the cut ) so its really easy. I reckon you can get this fixed for 20 sovs. I've worked with bigger pillar drills in record player manufacturing and you can never have enough ' throat '. That stinking pillar always gets in the way.

Tip for using a drill press , keep your speed lower than you would think and use ' peck' drilling ( look it up ) In wood brad point drills are gooder for a clean entry.
    Especially for deep entry like string through 'peck' drilling is the only way to go.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Mat UK likes this.
  3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Nice looking drill, Mat. Came with some cool covers, too!;)

Macs idea about modding a small one to get more “reach” would certainly add versatility, but maintaining plumb after cutting and re-welding the pillar, moving the chuck center almost off the end of the drill’s table, and perhaps other unforeseen challenges of a project of this scale, give me pause. I have the tools to do a job like this, but question my ability to not screw it up. :oops::eek:

Drill presses are quite common, and good used ones of all sizes regularly appear in the used goods websites—if you’re seriously interested in finding one, in a huge city like London, I have no doubt you’ll come across some likely suspect in short order, that will be large enough to do everything you need, with no modifications. And you will still find many uses for the smaller one, also.

Mat UK likes this.
  4. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Stop dissing my drill presses lack of capacity. We’ll be very happy together - with or without your approval. Heaven forbid I come home with a 10” bandsaw or an 8” planer/thicknesser... :eek: ;) :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Barncaster and I_build_my_own like this.
  5. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia

Didn't you mean a 14" bandsaw Mat????

DC

Barncaster, I_build_my_own and Mat UK like this.
  6. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Actually I meant a 3 inch bandsaw with a 6 foot riser block

7. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    So I’m actually done with this thing now - thought I’d share a few more pics...

A5442503-14F5-4197-8277-8249D4BFFFEA.jpeg CB2FEDD7-779D-439A-B0F8-C5C72B3D8B76.jpeg EA2F24BF-4BA8-4EBD-9D5C-8E6FB3D77127.jpeg 8810739D-9130-440C-A37B-9E8CC2441188.jpeg 6323400D-6235-4621-A906-D5699C23EDB8.jpeg F7371AF5-9196-410E-AB88-065734F07487.jpeg
    5F600375-59DD-4683-8471-4651B521A601.jpeg

Body material: Poplar

Body Finish: Ebony spirit dye, Indian Ink, Tru Oil, Satin

Neck Material: Maple neck, Ebony headstock veneer

Neck Finish: Tru Oil, Satin

Neck Shape: 60s "C”

Scale Length: 25.5"

Fingerboard Material: Ebony

Radius: 9.5"

Number of Frets: 21

Fret Size: Jumbo

Nut Material: Corian

Nut Width: 42 mm

Truss Rod: Two way, Heel adjust

Truss Rod Nut: Spoke

Bridge pickup: Irongear Steam Hammer, Ceramic Humbucker

Bridge: 6-Saddle modern hardtail string through

Hardware Finish: Chrome, Stainless steel

Tuning Machines: Wilkinson EZ lock

Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top

Controls: 1 tone, 1 volume, Push push pots

There are things I could improve on - the polishing of the back plates is inconsistent and I fudged the etched logo too through over polishing - but I think I’d like to draw a line under this and move onward.

But I’m pleased and feel I have grown since my first build... so that’s ok then!

brogh, Felino, richa and 12 others like this.
  8. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Looking Good :D

Mat UK likes this.
  9. tewiq

tewiq Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Granby Qc. Canada
    That is one beautiful guitar , all we need now is ( a sound clip)....... Please :D

Barncaster and Mat UK like this.
  10. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Wow, that looks fantastic!!

Mat UK likes this.
  11. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Really good lookin’. If I may say so without incurring innuendo, I really like the nutless look. Truly.

Mat UK likes this.
  12. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

Aug 15, 2010
    London
    Looks very similar to the Machine Mart Clarke pillar drill which I bought for £69 when they had the sale c/w half rate VAT in January. Only problem with mine is that it needs to have wider reach to get to the body centre as I have already discovered with my 15" width Ricky body as also earlier discussed in this thread.

There was a pillar drill reach extended on some guitar builders forum a while back but I can't find it. It was very similar to macaronnie's idea a few posts back.

Congrats on your great Tele build, I'm far behind with my Ricky but making slow but steady progress....!

Mat UK likes this.
  13. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Just think how much faster it would have gone Matt without all the constant innuendo:rolleyes:

Mat UK and R. Stratenstein like this.
  14. brownale99

brownale99 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Newcastle, UK
    That looks awesome bud, that headstock veneer with the black nut is stunning. Top drawer

Mat UK likes this.
  15. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Yes, but it wouldn’t have been as much fun, would it?

Barncaster, Mat UK and LeftFinger like this.
  16. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks!

Cheers. Yeh... i do... it’s one thing to be judged for guitar building (welcomed) its another to be critiqued on your guitar playing!

Thanks also

Ha, cheers Rick, yeh I agree it’s stealthy, although with the amount of effort I put into that god damn nut It deserved more prominence - maybe a fluro yellow nut is in order for next time

17. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Ha, thanks for suggestion - that ship has sailed now though!

18. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks Mr Ale. The veneer was a bit of a pain with it splintering along the edges, but ultimately worth it in the end

brownale99 likes this.
  19. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    B bloody Eutiful Matt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.