Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

6 metres of sumfink

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mat UK, Dec 18, 2016.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Offer stands if you change your mind--at least until it gets tucked away into the yet-unborn Jag., then it might be a bit of trouble. But I applaud your intention to design and fab the part to meet your needs.

Mat UK likes this.

2. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Will do - cheers again!

After the Sir Andrew you must have some spare time on your hand, time to start pushing that jag out!

I've just found my bracket - although it's 2 metres long at the moment!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/alfer-ano...mm/5634p#product_additional_details_container

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

I may just do that. Got a couple of non-guitar things going, but right after that. It's only been on the back burner 2 years or so now. Hmm, a 2-meter potentiometer bracket. You could put quite a few controls on that, regulate everything! (LOL, my American web browser spell -checker is showing that you misspelled metres.)

4. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    So, if I keep adding drawings of guitars i'm "planning" on building, will that convince you all I build guitars and know what I'm talking about... good... here's some more...

1. Jaguar-style (you've seen this,sorry)

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 22.55.06.png
    Body
    Solid, Tulipwood (Poplar)
    Neck Maple, Rosewood fingerboard
    Finish White gloss (maybe satin)
    Pickups 2 x single coil (maybe noise cancelling)
    Hardware Jazz tremolo, Tune-o-matic roller bridge, tuners tbc
    Electronics Standard Jaguar layout
    Pickguards and plates 3ply White/Black/White pickguard, Rosewood control plates
    Other 12mm round-over, belly +arm contour

2. ES-335 style

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 22.54.15.png

Body
    Semi-acoustic, Maple and Sapele laminations (non-bent sides), flamed/figured top/back (undecided), flamed maple binding
    Neck Sapele, ebony fretboard (undecided), binding (is maple binding over the top?)
    Headstock Flamed veneer (will match top)
    Finish Semi opaque dark dark blue
    Pickups 2 x filtertrons
    Hardware Tune-o-matic roller bridge + tailpiece, pickup rings tbc
    Electronics Standard wiring..?
    Pickguards and plates Flamed maple pickguard

3. Telecaster-style "Mono Silhouette"

This is a bit different, very excited to start this one. In a nut shell my brief was to recreate the standard tele style guitar, stripped back to it's silhouette (hence the name) this will also take a single pickup (hence mono); I am concealing the jack using an end-pin jack; It will have a single volume and tone pot partially recessed into the top left side; Electronic cavity access will on the backside.
    Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 22.56.02.png
    Body Soild, Poplar
    Neck Maple, Ebony/Richlite
    Headstock Ebony/Black Satin
    Finish Black Satin
    Pickups 1 humbucker
    Hardware All black hardware, Hardtail bridge, Humbucker ring, tuners tbc, dome knurled knobs
    Electronics Simples
    Pickguards and plates Aluminium jack plate, black electronics plate (both on back)
    Other 5mm roundover

And there you have it, details that are missing are undecided

. I'll start, soon... very, very not soon.

Gibson, Elkhorn, MM73 and 1 other person like this.

5. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    You might want to consider a Staytrem bridge for the Jaguar. I have one on my Jazzmaster and it's excellent. Plus you wouldn't have to pay international shipping.

Mat UK likes this.

6. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    That's great, thanks - I've been debating which bridge to go with, didn't want to put something on that I would regret - £60 is quite steep for me, but nearer completion I will decide whether I can justify the cost or not.

Which leads me onto this - If anyone has a good source for a quality jag trem in the U.K. that would be much appreciated!

7. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    It's funny because I basically talked myself into the Staytrem because it was less $ than a Mastery bridge (and because it'd drop right into my guitar). You've got to install posts/thimbles for whatever you pick, so the roller-style tune-o-matic may be a better call.

I don't have any useful advice for a Jag/JM tailpiece, mine is still stock. Interested to see how yours goes!

8. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Ha, I can see why £60 seems reasonable when considering the Mastery stuff - $170 for a bridge is a big commitment!

Bill Hubbard likes this.

9. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Just discovered that two neck templates I cut and shaped on the weekend are 15mm too short in length - GOD DAMN WORK PRINTER

... And breath

Barncaster and guitarbuilder like this.

10. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Well, at least you found the error before you cut wood! At most, you discovered a new scale length, and can name it after yourself.

I know a guy that was 90% of the way thru a neck before realizing it was supposed to be left handed.

Mat UK likes this.

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    at least it's a template and you checked!

I'm digging the plans for each, hang in there you'll get to the fun soon enough.

Mat UK likes this.

12. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

Poplar is a real nice wood to work with and relatively inexpensive. We never saw much of it around here (in the form of S4S or trim) until the price of clear pine went through the roof. The "green" colored wood is the heart wood. The light colored sapwood takes stain really well, and I'll bet it would look great colored up with some of the vibrant wood dyes. I've been using it for combo and speaker cabinets for quite awhile. I've come across some pieces with a loose birds-eye pattern (pretty rare) and some with a subtle flaming. It wouldn't be hard to find a blank for a 3-1/2 pound body either.

13. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    That's an interesting thought I wonder what scale length it ended up at - either way I won't find out, I ripped the paper template off in fury.

Thanks chaps, it's a good stern reminder to measure up at every stage - you're both right, at least it wasn't further down the line

So it turns out it wasn't the printers fault it was, well... mine (no surprises there). I guess in my haste (trying to get a couple dozen print offs without being noticed at work) I didn't pay enough attention to the print setup. I had a couple of other print offs from the same printer from another occasion that measured up fine - I've spent the evening with my calipers out... and they will remain out until I'm satisfied I've got some good strong templates to work with

Onwards and onwards

14. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    That's good to know - thanks Wrench. This is my first foray into working with Poplar so hopefully it will be a good one. I'm achingly close to making my first cuts

15. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    I really like that Jaguar style you have there. I'm really digging most any kind of offset style lately.

16. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks (although it's more a compliment to fender than myself! But i'l take it), I know the feeling - telecasters are great, but it's nice to branch out. I'm digging the work over at Kauer (and titan for that matter) and Bilt , they're really nailing the offset look

17. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

Mat,
    I think you'll enjoy working with the Pop. It's real easy on the tools and there are generally no surprises when machining it. It machines cleanly without tear-out and other nasty sort of events. That's one of the reasons it's machined into every trim profile imaginable. Good Luck with your projects!

Best Regards,
    Geo.

Mat UK likes this.

18. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks Geo. Let's hope the Pop will be as kind to me as it has to you

19. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Templates, done. (minus the ES-335 style, i'll save that for another time)

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

DrASATele and MM73 like this.

20. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    The templates are made from 18mm MDF.

Working the outside perimeter is nice and straight forward - I used a combination of my disc/belt sander and my brand spanking new spindle sander (well... actually a year old, but unused in that time).

The inside routes were a bit tougher to work, I could use the spindle sander in certain spots but for the straight edges I had to use my palm router.

I had some handy free worktop samples, 6mm thick and about 10mm square which worked a treat as router guides; using some delicate painters tape on the MDF (so as not to pull the working paper templates off the MDF) I stuck the samples to the template using a dot of superglue.

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1428.JPG

This worked a treat, and on most occasions the samples pulled off the template without damaging the template paper.

For the smaller radius corners - on the neck pocket specifically - I used a couple of files to shape to the line making sure to angle the file such that it doesn't undercut the template on the underside. once the top edge was filed to the line I used the router and template bit to trim the rest of the pocket square... if that makes sense...

Templates were finished off with a round of superglue on the edge a la Ron Kirn (and others).

Fin

MM73 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.