Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

6 metres of sumfink

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mat UK, Dec 18, 2016.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Always a time of anxiety. . . .point of no return. But it looks spot-on from the photos, you probably nailed it.

Mat UK likes this.

2. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    Don't nail it - glue it!!!! *sheesh*;)

Daniel94 and Mat UK like this.

3. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Here's hoping... (well actually it's out of the clamps now, so the time for hope and prayer is long gone!)

Ha, imagine!

4. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    As I said. The clamps were taken off this morning. On first inspection everything seems ok. A few spots to clean up where I couldn't access - but no problems

In my anticipation I didn't take any photos of the following process...

I trimmed the veneer as close to the sides as I was comfortable with a Stanley blade. Learning points: A blade is fine to use with the grain, across the grain encouraged chipping out - I had one spot on the tip that was relatively bad (bad in a minor correctable kind of way). I used a razor saw to trim the fingerboard/veneer join, which worked, I should have done this for trimming the veneer too... oh well

I then used a small sanding bock to bring the sides flush.

Like I said I used a razor saw to bring the veneer down to the fretboard, I then used the block to level it.

For the tuner holes, on the first one I used a 7mm drill bit thinking that would give me room to file it flush - this ended up tearing the veneer... that was annoying... but not horrendous

On the following five, I used a 3mm/1/4" bit to start a hole, then used a combination of a round needle file and round file to open the hole flush.

I then glued in thmy tip chip I made earlier (I managed to salvage the chip out)

Anyway, you probably just want to see the pics, not read my second by second account...

IMG_1933.JPG IMG_1934.JPG IMG_1935.JPG IMG_1936.JPG IMG_1938.JPG IMG_1940.JPG

Fine and finish sanding to come later - You can see it needs some riding up!

twr1, oldfish, TenaciousP and 13 others like this.

5. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That looks great!!

Mat UK likes this.

6. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Many thanks!

7. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Spectacular! I love that look!

A bit of black epoxy should fill any area that may have chipped out near the tip.

That is really cool!

Mat UK likes this.

8. Daniel94

Daniel94 Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Odessa, MO
    Beautiful!! I'm pretty impressed that you managed to bend ebony like that!

Mat UK likes this.

9. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks - I'm pleased. I've learned a thing or two for next time. Hopefully the final sand will clean up the ragged ends.

Ideally I would use mineral spirit over the fretboard and headstock, I'm liking the natural vibe - so I'm going to to correct any chip outs with bits of left over veneer or sawdust...

10. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks. I'm impressed with myself too, I didn't think I had it in me! With the solid guidance of TDPRI I got there in the the end though

Daniel94 likes this.

11. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Looking sweeet!!! And Bling Lump! Rick, now there is a good alt band name!

Mat UK likes this.

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Wow, Mat, that headstock worked a treat. You nailed gluing it! (this is to keep that bristling canine off me! :D)

Bring on the bling!

Mat UK and Bristlehound like this.

13. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    That looks very sharp. Great work!

Mat UK likes this.

14. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Very belated thanks chaps!

15. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    After a couple of weeks away holidaying in Skiathos, I'm finally back at it - and about time too.

I drilled and routed the truss rod slot for the jag this morn.

I started by drilling the truss rod access.

Using the work bench grid, combination square and a gator guide I set up the drilling guide.

IMG_2580.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

I slowly drilled approx 30mm deep

IMG_2585.JPG

Came out well.

Next up, route the channel. I used my sled for this (same technique as earlier in this thread) ... fast forward to this, it might need a tweak here and there with a chisel.

IMG_2593.JPG

The fretboard is arriving soonish - once that drops it'll go straight through to the glueup stage.

MM73 likes this.

16. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    I also got around to cobbling together a fret bender with various bolts, washers and bearings.

IMG_2590.JPG

It works... albeit a bit trial and error.

I bought pre cut frets (preradiused to 12inch - in hindsight I wish I bought long lengths), they go through the bender fine, I push them through with the end of a fat Allen key to save my finger tips ... it would be nice to have a handle. I adjust the height of the top guide using a wing nut to adjust and tighten... one day I might be in a position to buy a well machined tool!

IMG_2589.JPG

richa, guitarbuilder and Bristlehound like this.

17. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Drilled and thicknessed th headstock this morning - she's 15mm deep at the headstock.

Now... where's that poxy fingerboard!

IMG_2596.JPG

CraigB likes this.

18. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    That looks pretty good to me. You might find that one day never really needs to happen with that. It's not a real precision sort of need. I usually overbend a tad anyway.

Mat UK likes this.

19. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Cool, hopefully not then. I guess my first batch of fretwire will be the test

20. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Took delivery of various bits of rosewood and maple:

2 x rosewood fingerboards

2 x rippled maple fingerboards

2 x rippled sycamore binding

1 x length of 0.5mm thick rosewood veneer

1 x rosewood bookmatched acoustic back

One of the rosewood boards is for the jag neck - I may try some veneer on the headstock again... just cos I can

The bookmatched back is for a thinline top, it will be matched with a rosewood neck, ripple maple fretboard and sycamore binding... at least that's the plan! (I'll get through the tele and jag first though)

IMG_2649.JPG

John Nicholas and Barncaster like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.