Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

6 badass blues tracks your Dad should've mentioned...got any more?!?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by holdonphoton, Dec 11, 2013.

1. holdonphoton

holdonphoton Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2013
    ALABAMA
    I got an offer to write a guest article for a pretty popular music blog. Super excited, I immediately got started on the topic I'm most enthusiastic about...the blues. Well, my article was rejected! I guess the blues is too much of a niche nowadays eh?!? Anyway, I know you guys will appreciate this and probably add to it with stuff I've never heard so here ya'll go. I put a link to the minilog (video playlist) at the bottom (edited for length) :D:

Here's six badass blues tracks your Dad should've told you about.

6. I'm Goin Upside Your Head - Jimmy Reed

Blatantly sexist lyrics from a rampant alcoholic? Violent undertones over a bouncy shuffle? Yep. This is what's missing from today's music.

5. Diddy Wah Diddy - Captain Beefheart

This is the swamptastic blues rock cover version of a classic Bo Diddley song penned by one of the best blues songwriters ever. Willie Dixon wrote most of Howlin' Wolf's hits and was the most important link between blues and rock and roll. Captain Beefheart was a borderline lunatic who influenced a whole bunch of other influential people like Frank Zappa and Tom Waits. Let this one soak in. It's good for you.

4. Delaware Slide - George Thorogood and the Destroyers

Yeah, you may remember your old man gettin down to "Bad to the Bone" when the classic rock stations still existed. You may have even heard "I Drink Alone" or George's fantastic cover of Hank Williams' "Move it on Over" but this debut album gem shows just how badass George and the Destroyers were in their prime. Driving songs don't get much better.

3. Shake it Baby - John Lee Hooker

While the Beatles were singing "Love Me Do" and other stupid ****, John Lee Hooker was stomping his foot and laying it out like the boogie king four white guys could never be. You could light your damn beard on fire and still feel this beat. Do it.

2. All your Love - Magic Sam

Heard this one yet you goofy sumbitch? If so, why the hell haven't you been tellin everybody about it? That jump. That groove. It's like....magic! Magic Sam was one of the most powerful and influential blues guitar players there ever was. Listen.

1. Jumper on the Line - RL Burnside

Wouldn't be no damn Black Keys if not for RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough.
    All you gotta do is write a few tunes almost as good as this and you could win "best rock album". Johnny Depp might even show up. If you can't tap your foot to this one, you should punch yourself in the genitals until you black out.

http://minilogs.com/lrdik8w

NOW GIVE ME YOUR FAVORITES YOU TWANGERS!!! :lol::lol::lol:

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Famous for being a great guitarist, name-checked by RJ, played with his buddy Son House but - I think his vocal here is trememndous :

Dude grew up watching Charley Patton on the plantation :

Duane ? Duane ? Are you serious ? :

3. holdonphoton

holdonphoton Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2013
    ALABAMA
    That's what I'm talking about guys! Let's keep this goin...could be an EPIC thread brewin'.

4. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I was gonna mention Burnside or Kimbraugh but you beat me to it!

Lately, I've been really loving the EP Black Keys did of Kimbraugh's songs. A bit mellower than their normal sound.

5. holdonphoton

holdonphoton Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2013
    ALABAMA
    I agree. That "Meet me in the City" cover is amazing! Probably my favorite Black Keys tune.

6. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Nov 7, 2010
    Maryland

Oh no! Lightnin' goan do some SHOOTIN again!

7. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Nov 7, 2010
    Maryland

Jack DANIEL time!

R.I.P. T!

8. holdonphoton

holdonphoton Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2013
    ALABAMA
    Oh no! Lightnin' goan do some SHOOTIN again![/QUOTE]

That is a dangerous stompin' rhythm right there...

9. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2008
    DC

Actually, my kid told ME about this one!

And here's a smooth groove cut I like listen to every couple months to get my head straight:

10. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    What, no Bo Carter the undisputed King of the Single Entendre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfLphccMHOM

Hound Dog Taylor singing about taking back the $9.99 wig he bought for his woman. What's more hardcore Bluesville than that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt6V20j2BjQ

And Earl Hooker's fantabulous 'Is You Ever Seen A One-Eyed Woman Cry'. A sweet homage to the disabled, enjoining them to stop shopping at the supermarket or you'll beat them in the morning instead of the afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=169ha54_-OM

And don't forget ladies, treat your men right or else....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XagQ3owbBEM

11. KeepInTune

KeepInTune TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Kansas City
    "Ball and a Biscuit" -The White Stripes (Jack White)

12. holdonphoton

holdonphoton Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2013
    ALABAMA
    Maricopa! Thanks man..I got a lot of Bo Carter to catch up on and I had forgotten about that crazy ass little Walter. This is a great day.

Ellroyjames, love how that track hits you right in the face when it starts.

13. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    Great stuff in this thread!

14. holdonphoton

holdonphoton Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2013
    ALABAMA
    I agree! Let's keep this goin! Here's another fave:

15. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2013
    Charlottesville, VA

16. holdonphoton

holdonphoton Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2013
    ALABAMA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.