Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5y3 wires

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by duffer426, Dec 30, 2017.

1. duffer426

duffer426 TDPRI Member

Jun 3, 2016
    In.
    Is it standard practice to cut the red and yellow rectifier tube wires for an easy fit,or should the be routed aroun pt to 5y3 terminals.

2. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    New Jersey
    I twist the wires and cut them down to a length where they make a direct run to the pins, with some extra slack in case they have to be trimmed during future maintenance.

SacDAve likes this.

3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.

4. Stratandtele

Mar 31, 2016
    New Jersey
    ^^^^^Like the above picture...

5. duffer426

duffer426 TDPRI Member

Jun 3, 2016
    In.
    Thanks for the replies. It`s awfuly tight in a 5f1 chassie

jsnwhite619 likes this.

6. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Yep. 5f2a Princeton is a much easier first build for that one simple reason. You need tweezers to work in a 5f1.

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    5F1 is tight but if you think through the order of your build it makes the job a little easier.

I did the power section first and got it up and running. Did my grounds where I could. Wired up the inputs outside the amp (mounted upside down to the outside of the chassis). Did as much work to the board as I could outside the chassis and made absolutely sure that was correct and the solders were good.

I've seen some nice cardboard templates people have made to allow them to wire it up outside the chassis. But if you prefer your tube sockets mounted to the outside of the chassis, that' isn't possible. Tube sockets were the trickiest to solder up just because of space issues. A hot soldering iron burns through wire insulation very quickly.

The lamp and the sockets can be removed and pushed out of the way while you solder other things. You can also cut your ground leads to length and then remove ground lugs and solder them outside the chassis (sorta flying them temporarily). Same for the volume pot and final input jack wiring. I always looked for opportunities to work this way because I can make way better solder connections when I can actually see what I'm working on.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

8. Stratandtele

Mar 31, 2016
    New Jersey
    @JuneauMike is spot on with his advice. I prefer to work left to right, holding the iron in my right hand, feeding the solder in with left hand. I'm also a believer in flying style filament wires, and they are the LAST thing I do. Many others like to wire the filaments first, but then they are in the way. There's may ways to skin a cat, so as long as you get everything neat and correctly hooked up, there is no wrong method.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.