Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

5F6a bassman build Help! (first build)

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by floorboards, Jan 4, 2014.

1. floorboards

floorboards TDPRI Member

Hi guys

Decided to build myself an amp. The 5F6a bassman. Have looked at a few layouts on the web and just have a few questions if anyone will be nice enough to help me out. Im a carpenter by trade and will be building a super nice cab when its done so will post pics along the way! Ive posted the layout pic im using below.

questions:
    Are the diodes and cap needed on the rectifier tube? if so what sort of diodes are they?

The 25k bias pot with 22k resistor in series is shown here. Can i directly replace those with a 50k bias pot ans 15k resistor??

The filter caps show 2x22uf and 2x20uf, some layouts show 4x20uf...will there be any difference??

Attached Files:

2. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Thanks for reposting here, it will get more attention.

3. Killin5

Killin5 Tele-Meister

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. EETStudent

EETStudent Tele-Meister

I cannot comment on the diode/cap combination. I have never seen that, but I assume it is a safety measure in case the rectifier tube were to fail. Either bias resistor/pot combination would be fine just as long as you can dial in the proper bias setting. As for the filter caps, this is a good place to assess your goals. There will be no difference between the two options you mentioned. A set of low value filter caps largely contributes to that vintage, slightly mushy character when pushed. Those smaller caps also cannot support quite as much low end, if that is important to you. In my Bassman build, I used 47uF filter caps across the board. Others have reported to using as high as 220uF for the first cap. With higher caps, you will get a little more clarity at higher volumes, tighter bass, and a little more headroom from the power supply

6. floorboards

floorboards TDPRI Member

Thanks for your replies! great info about increasing the filter cap value to get a better low end. That's definitely something i will be doing. Along with some very high powered high efficient 10 inch speakers It should have clean volume for days

7. charisjapan

charisjapan Tele-Afflicted

Hey Floorboards,

The diodes are a fail-safe in case the rectifier tube goes south. As has been said, 1N4007. A fellow at Ampage says abou the caps ...

The bias pot + resistor combinations are abundant, those two seem pretty popular. I would guess that you want your bias pot somewhere 'round the middle, with leeway both directions.

Filter caps can be all kinds of combinations ... certainly can't see much reason to have 2 X 20uF + 2 X 22uf ... all 20uF or all 22uF won't be much different :?: With the GZ34, you can go as high as 60uF and be in spec. You can go higher with solid-state rectification, but don't see the need unless you're a little shy on P.T. voltage. As has been said, more filtering = cleaner and tighter at the top.

Have fun!

8. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.