Spent some of the Thanksgiving holiday tearing down a 5F11 kit that I built almost 2 years ago. It had some nagging problems that made me want to take another run at this thing now that I'm slightly smarter than I was back then. I've been collecting parts for it while I was buying for a scratch build Champ. I was able to do most all the desoldering in one sitting. While doing it I found all kinds of goobered solder joints and other problems, including a ground wire that was mechanically secured to the ground but not soldered (hmm, I'll bet that was where my intermittent 120hz was coming from). But I also found this: It looks like at one time there was an "event" at V2 somewhere between the 5th and 8th pins. Anyone recognize what's going on here? That's a good pic of it. The substance was brown, and it behaved like welding slag for those who have ever stick welded. It was stuck on, but scraped off with some pressure. Also, for the benefit of others who don't know what they are doing either, I McGuyver'd a really convenient way to desolder the sockets. There was globs of solder on the 12ax7 sockets and I was worried about those globs liquefying and rolling down into the pin sockets. So I just desoldered them upside down. Anyway, it worked for me. Maybe a half turn of the wood screw gave it enough bite to secure it so I could put a soldering iron against the pins. Anyway, I'll be posting periodically here as I make progress. Wish me luck.