5e7 bandmaster clones - Victoria or Marsh??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by breadofthedead, May 10, 2019.

1. breadofthedead

breadofthedead NEW MEMBER!

Hello!
    First time post here.
    Recently had the opportunity to play a Victoria 35310 tweed bandmaster clone- fantastic amp.
    I think 3 10's are kinda magic...

While researching I came across the Marsh 5E7 (he offers it complete or as a build kit)
    And one very cool customization is adding reverb which I thought I may miss. cool to see on a tweed style amp...

I know there are several other builders who make this amp (fender re-issue, Clark, etc.) but I've narrowed it down to these two.

Wondering ya'lls opinions on the Victoria 35310 bandmaster vs Marsh 5E7 clone?
    Anyone with experience playing both?

The Marsh is about half the price new, has reverb, but is still all hand-wired and seems very solid.
    Wondering if I'll be missing something from the Victoria if I go this route. I could probably find a used vic for a similar price.
    Thanks!!!

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Never played a Marsh, but contrary to some common opinions I've found that the same basic circuit can sound better and less great depending on the builder.

I've played a number of Victoria amps and they are stupendously good IMO.
    Been more than a decade though and I suppose the quality may have changed.

But I'd say assuming a half price build of a same circuit as the Victoria you tried will sound the same is a mistake.

jimash likes this.
  3. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Re-sale will be higher on the Vic, if that matters to you. Not dissing the Marsh, but it will probably be basically an assembled Mojo kit, tho those are quality kits. I built a Mojo 5e3 several years ago and it's been a great amp.

4. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

1. You can build a Marsh kit to sound as good as, and be as reliable as a Victoria. You can then spend the money saved on good tubes. On the other hand, your amp may not be as good or reliable as a Victoria. Depends on the builder's skills and patience.

2. If you build a kit, it's pretty much yours. You will never recoup your costs. On the other hand, building an amp and taking the time to learn how an amp works, how to troubleshoot and repair an amp is invaluable.

3. You don't need reverb on a Tweed amp. The tone is so rich, full and complex, reverb just takes away. I pretty much moved to Marshall and Tweed type amps about 8 years ago and haven't used (or missed) reverb yet.

Yes I build them, 5 so far, some from kits, some self-sourced. All sound splendid and I've only had one (self-caused) issue with any of them. Easily found and fixed, because I knew right away where the problem was, because I understand, because I learned.

SnidelyWhiplash and rangercaster like this.
  5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I built a 5e7 a few years ago. It started out with parts from the junk drawer on a chassis I bent in an unheated garage during a Minnesota winter. Then Muchxs sent me a proper chassis for Christmas, I can't say enough good things about him!
    Then it snowballed. Ordered up a set of Classic Tone transformers for the new chassis, built my first finger jointed pine cab, covered it in tweed, the whole works. Some day I'll pull the guts and rebuild it with a proper eyelet board instead of the one I made out of salvaged organ parts. But for now it works and sounds great.
    If it hadn't been for Muchxs sending me that chassis I never would've built that first cab and learned how to put tweed on.

Anyway the 5e7 is a fantastic amp, if you can turn it up a ways. They get sorta loud if you want to sound like Pete Townsend. Nowhere near as loud as Pete on a Hiwatt though. :)

telemnemonics and Ricky D. like this.
  6. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

If you can...Vicky.

7. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Victoria all the way.

8. breadofthedead

breadofthedead NEW MEMBER!

thanks everyone!
    Anyone out there actually try a Marsh?- I hear they are actually quite nice, but yeah pretty much a well built mojo kit. Which I guess what I’m wondering then, is the mojo kit not as good as Vic? Same parts?/ circuit no?

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

To answer you questions somebody would have to go through the Victoria you're looking at, and the Marsh your considering and compare part for part.

I have numerous vintage original, hobby built and small builder hand wired amps.

What I don't have and wish I'd bought is a Victoria that seemed to be a HPTT but in a 4x10 cab, and also a Harry Joyce Hiwatt head. Both were $2k, or $1.5k above my budget. If I'd had the money then I'd be happy now, where the extra cash I saved buying cheaper amps is not giving me any pleasure today!

I've played lots of classic amps and clones that sound great, but found that certain individual amps just knocked me out. None were budget builds....

Even within a same circuit there may be 20% spec caps and resistors in one and 5% spec in another, then a third had the builder measure component values in sound critical points and choose dead on spec parts.
    Caps in some parts of the circuit alter the sound withing the same spec, and "better sounding" caps tend to cost more.
    Lead dress will vary as well, but that is related more to noise than tone or sound quality, unless you consider a less noisy amp to sound better.

Cheaper tubes and speakers?
    Big difference there, though there are fine sounding cheaper parts if chosen well.
    Maybe a cheaper chassis?

On the internet you'll find individuals who claim the earth is flat, and I'd guess those who claim a mojo kit build is as good as a Victoria will be few and far between.
    Plus they are probably really good hobby builders or amp techs who did essentially what Victoria does. That takes extra hours of labor.

Paul G. likes this.
  10. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I owned a small Marsh tweed & sold it like an idiot. Great amp. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

11. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

If the Marsh has reverb it's a different circuit than the Victoria. That's going to make more difference than who built it or what caps they used.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.