Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5E3. What Does This Cap Do?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by DennisM, Oct 14, 2017.

1. DennisM

DennisM Tele-Meister

Nov 18, 2013
    Nevada
    The .0047 on the tone pot to ground. What does it do? Does it affect tone?

2. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Yes it affects tone

From Rob's site

The tone pot in combination with the tone capacitor create a variable RC (resistance capacitance) low pass filter which removes high frequencies by shunting them to ground. Using a higher value tone cap will lower the cutoff frequency of the tone control so it will affect more mid frequencies. Reducing it will raise the cutoff frequency and affect less mid freqs.

https://robrobinette.com/How_The_5E3_Deluxe_Works.htm

DennisM likes this.

3. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Thanks D'tar.

Just to clarify a little, the .0047uF or .005uF cap is the tone cap which works with the tone pot to remove high frequencies.

The smaller .0005uF (500pF) cap on the tone pot is the bright cap and allows high freqs to flow around the bright volume pot.

D'tar likes this.

4. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock

Yes, and this in turn affects the 5E3's tone pot's influence on the drive characteristics of the amp. Here is a link to an explanation and recommendation that I found extremely helpful. I reduced the value as recommended here several years ago, and have been happy with the results.

http://www.recproaudio.com/diy_pro_audio/tweed_deluxe_5e3_low_pass_mod.htm

misterdontmove and D'tar like this.

5. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Yep. I think mine is 700pf.

JD0x0 likes this.

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I don't have a 5E3 but If I were to build one, I'd try a 1200pF-2200pF there (1.2n-2.2n)

Smaller cap = higher treble cutoff freq which = less highs cut with smaller value. The cutoff is less sharp with the smaller caps so, to me, it has more of a 'warming' effect to the tone, rather than muddying it up.

7. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    Connecticut
    This mod is excellent in a 5E3, especially at lower settings. The 5E3 has an additional bit of gain on tap with the tone knob higher than 6 or 7, but the trade off for that additional gain is that the amp gets pretty bright. The change in cap value allows you to wick up the tone knob, and get the additional gain with the brightness under control. IMHO

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.