5e3 weber clone issues

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by bohuggabee, May 4, 2018.

1. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Meister

I agree that it's tech time. Or sell it & buy a nice factory-built job, might cost you less than paying someone knowledgable to go through it. That said, your disconnected wires indicates every solder joint needs reflowed to start with...but you're in over your head already, and amps can be dangerous for someone like you whose electrical knowledge is admittedly minimal so I'd vote to dump it. And grow up.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That's why it needs to go to a tech. If you don't understand the wiring it'll be close to impossible to debug this type of problem Or assortment of problems.

Partially.

I see very poor solder joints with almost no solder. but wires should stay on with NO dsolder if attachet properly. Solder is insurance, NOT "glue" and it's not meant to create mechanical connections in an electronic circuit. There are pots with see-through holes at the tabs that sould be filld wiht wire folded and locked - and then solder filling the rest; eyelets that are open wells, etc.

I don't understand. Where's the schematic from 2009? You didn't keep it? If not that's a lesson learned - always keep records.

Not a great qualification for building amps IMO. It can get you through the assembly process, but not any of the testing - and absolutely no debugging. At least some minimal electronics knowledge is necessary to read voltages, check connections etc.

Personally I think that should be worded "anyone can "assemble" an amp". "Assembling" is following directions as far as where to put parts. "Building" an amp requires turning it on, which requires reading a few voltages and checking electronic connections.

Absolutely. There is nothing the OP can do here. Not even the most basic knowledge necessary to test anything at all is present. Visual checks of wires is not a viable debugging method.

flyswatter likes this.
  3. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Meister

I'll be polite here and just say - even though you "wired" this amp it possibly should go to someone with a little more understanding of its care & feeding. Maybe you should check out some of the fine amps sold under the name Rogue. No maintenance needed.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  4. bohuggabee

bohuggabee TDPRI Member

i've been shocked a couple times. not going to lie. happened when using that paper clip in there to bypass an input jack for the speaker lol. my 65 showman shocked me through my guitar when pointing out a chord to a friend when we were jamming and it ruined my matchless's rectifier tube and it still doesn't sound like it used to... i know which parts can kill me, and honestly, i'm not afraid of being shocked. i've thought about making bleeders for the caps, but at the end of the day, i loved the amp how it was. it sounded incredible. and i do like a little sense of danger. But like i said then i get home and wires are broken from their joints. i suspect tampering. i've checked every joint, changed the tubes and have no idea what to do. so i've gone over to the ted weber forum, cause i figure if anyone can help...

i'm clumsy, a little stupid by ya'lls standards, but i'm not your average person, and i built this amp. NO ONE ELSE IS GOING TO PUT THEIR HANDS IN IT.

5. bohuggabee

bohuggabee TDPRI Member

solid state? no thanks. i'll leave that to the guys that can't play or hear the difference.

6. bohuggabee

bohuggabee TDPRI Member

maybe i'm just the issue here.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  7. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Wow! no coffee yet? The members here help all types of people who are willing to provide information needed to come to a conclusion. If you don't know what wire goes to where, or even what that wire or component is called by name then you sir are not doing your part. I love helping others and would still consider helping you. For your information a voltage chart tells all, to those who know what the readings are telling. A voltage chart can be done by anyone who knows how to be safe inside an amp chassis.

regardless of what kit you use it's a 5e3 right

https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modifications.htm

https://robrobinette.com/How_The_5E3_Deluxe_Works.htm

[​IMG]

SacDAve likes this.
  8. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

Subscribed!

aerhed likes this.
  9. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

So being a luthier, maybe you can help out with this one...

I built this sweet guitar from a kit a few years ago. It went together first time with no issues and really played nice. The other day I played it for the first time in a while. I left it out in my garage for a year or two. The strings were kinda rusty looking and one just snapped right off. Then i noticed that the little post thingies where the strings wind around...and you twist the key to make the sound go up and down, well they were bent. I don't know, I might have run over it with my car at some point. Anyway, the neck is sort of crooked looking and it sounds like there is some rattle in it, like broken metal or something. I'm not really willing to take any more time to learn how any of this stuff is supposed to work...but I have some duct tape and super glue, so tell me how to fix it.

wabashslim, sds1, Wally and 2 others like this.
  10. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Step one.. print out Robs layout.
    Step two.. make sure all your wires are connected like in the diagram.
    Step three.. resolder all the terminals t
    so they are filled and shiny.
    Nothing more to say if you can't or won't give the learned ones some voltages to work with.

D'tar likes this.
  11. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

12. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Meister

Luthier?

13. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Luthier is the fancy word for guitar tech.

viccortes285 likes this.
  14. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Meister

Exactly. I was just surprised to see it used in this...uhh...context.

15. tonejunkie99

tonejunkie99 TDPRI Member

I would like to start by saying from the looks of the picture, the solder joints throughout that entire amp look light, dry or lacking a sufficient amount of solder applied to the joints. I would remover the tubes and hit the solder joints with a 60watt soldering iron and apply a liberal amount of (good) solder to all connections... FYI the amp stores 350ish volts in the caps, so be careful to discharge the 3 large caps closest to the P/T...
    Diagnose the problem - Okay so if the rectifier is all that's lighting up, you need to remove all the other tubes - take a volt meter and check the green twisted wires coming out of the P/T if no 6.3v you have a bad P/T... if you do have 6.3 you need to check across pins 3/7 of the 6V6 tube socket closest to the rectifier for 6.3v ... It's unlikely there will be 6.3v there if the tube was not lighting. never the less check the voltage between 3 and 7 on both 6V6 tubes and then check the 12AX7 tube sockets for 6.3v tthey shunt pins 4/5 so put one probe on either pin 4 or 5 and put the other probe on pin 9 - like I said if the first 6V6 isn't getting 6.3v none of the tubes there after will be getting it either because they are all daisy chained in parallel from the first 6V6.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  16. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Is this thread real? Paperclip? What? His last reply was May 7th. Hope he is okay.

Yikes.....

17. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

"I'm not afraid of being shocked"

Wow.

checkmate110 likes this.
  18. muswell_hillbilly

muswell_hillbilly Tele-Meister

2018!

19. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Lol. I didnt even catch that......

muswell_hillbilly likes this.
  20. muswell_hillbilly

muswell_hillbilly Tele-Meister

Nonetheless, a crazy read - I missed it the first time around ;)

Urshurak776 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.