5e3 V1 cathode cap

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Uncle Daddy, May 21, 2019.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

So I did most of the regular mods with my 5e3; 22uF filter caps, 0.047uF 1st stage coupling caps; Speedshop mod on tone knob cap etc, and still found the tone too thick, with the lower mids overwhelming everything especially with my mid-focused T-armonds. Today after a bit of reading around I thought I'd try something different, and swapped the 25uF-25v cathode cap on V1 for a 4.7uF 63V, as that's what I had laying around. And....it sounds glorious, to me ears at least. Tight, punchy overdrive and cleans that are way better balanced.

It's cleared up a bit of transformer hum that was creeping through too. Bonus!

Will there be any issue with the 63v rating? There's not much available here in the 20-30v range that doesn't come with a £15 delivery charge!

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

No. Always OK to go higher. Main reason for not going high is size and expense. I don't think there's any point in going super high.

3. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

Grab a 10uF while you're at it?

Might as well try it too. Could be a nice compromise.

King Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.