Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5E3 Speaker Question: P12R Or P12Q?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by DennisM, Aug 28, 2017.

1. DennisM

DennisM Tele-Meister

Nov 18, 2013
    Nevada
    This isn't about which speaker brand is the best. I know everyone loves Weber, Celestion and Eminence etc.

I did a 5e3 build recently and I happened to have a newer Jensen P12Q on hand, so that's what I put in there. After playing it for a few weeks, it kinda seems that the P12Q might be too much speaker for the 5e3. The bottom is nice but seems to be a tad too much and it seems to have too much volume. I'm not getting the breakup that I was expecting. Before laying down over a hundred more on a P12R I thought I'd check with you guys to get your opinions. How much difference is there between the R & Q volume wise, bass response wise and breakup wise?

I know the originals came with the R.

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The original would have used low wattage. I have a P15R original in my Excelsior - delightfully quacky, no issues with handling the power.

DennisM likes this.

3. ocduff

ocduff TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2003
    USA
    I like those Q and R Jensen reissues particularly the Alnico (I don't like the C12R however - ice pick city).

I know what you mean - to me an amp sounds best when the speaker break up and amp break up happen at the same time - that's where the magic is.

People tend to overspeaker amps in hopes of maybe not ever blowing the speaker or getting more volume but that's never worked for me.

I tried them all and liked this best in 20-watt:

https://www.tedweber.com/12a125

The cone is paper thin (well aren't they all - but construction paper thin) and the multi ribs give lots of complexity and detail AND with a stock 5E3 it makes a 5E3 sound like it wants to sound. No more or less.

FYI the 12a100T was my favorite before this (it is not a loud speaker - would be better for a tweed vibrolux). But you could really make that cone dance.

I don't think the Jensen P12R is a whole lot quieter - it might just have more highs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.