5e3 clone: a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AJBaker, Apr 17, 2019 at 1:12 PM.

1. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Is this a good deal?

A 5e3 clone (without speaker) for about 500$:

https://www.anibis.ch/fr/d-musique-...luxe-5e3--28642130.aspx?fts=5e3&view=2&fcid=0

Original circuit plus switchable negative feedback loop added, mercury and hammond transformers, homemade pine cab (needs covering or varnishing), tubes by TAD, EH, Tungsol.
    It's sold without a speaker, but I have a suitable one lying around.

It's in my local area, and I'd like a tweed style amp, but I'm actually trying to reduce my guitar and amp collection a bit.

Would this add a lot to what I've already got? To give you an idea, I already have a Joyo 5f1 clone, a laney cub10 (10w, 10", bassmanish circuit), a Vox AC15C1 and a SF Vibrolux Reverb.

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I think the Deluxe is different enough from all those amps you list to justify having it for sure :D

I also think the price is right for the build quality I'm seeing in those photos. That seems like a good deal.

King Fan and ce24 like this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I am no pro, but I have built a 5e3 clone. I'd say that's a good deal. Looks like good components and good built quality. If I understand correctly, the seller says there's a rear panel that covers the chassis as well, but that s/he had to remove it for the photos. If the cabinet is indeed the correct dimensions, as the seller says, you might just want to leave it alone. It's rustic, but it looks kind of cool that way. For a 5e3 clone without a speaker (and since you have a suitable 12" lying around anyway), that seems like a good deal.

I really like the idea of the Mercury output transformer and those red Jupiter caps. That MM OT is not cheap.

bftfender likes this.
  4. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I can't read the post, but from looking at the photos, it seems like a quality build for $500. Usually for that price, you're getting Chinese parts of inferior quality, but the transformers look superior and several of the caps and resistors look like quality items. Quality speaker. I'd say, "Buy it!"

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Not much in the post, the gist is :

Original 5e3 circuit with an extra switch for negative feedback loop (more clean headroom), mercury and hammond transformers, homemade pine cab (which needs covering or varnishing), tubes by TAD, EH, Tungsol, and the Jensen speaker is broken and not included.
    (but he's selling an alnico blue for 200$)

6. Vermoulian

Vermoulian TDPRI Member

I would agree that a 5E3 is different enough from the other amps you have to be worth getting. Buying somebody else's project is always a dice roll, but you'd probably be looking at $500 or more just for the components (chassis, tubes, transformers, cabinet) used in this one, even if the circuit was toast. And it looks like a very nice build---not somebody's first experiment with a soldering iron.

ce24 and D'tar like this.
  7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes!

8. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I'm wondering how it'll compare to my AC15 (that I only use on the normal channel with master at full).
    My Vox has just about enough volume with the stock greenback, and suits my style of setting it loud (about 50% channel volume), and getting cleans by turning down on the guitar.

How will the 5e3 headroom compare if I use the eminence 1258 speaker I already have?

9. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I just priced out a 5e3 build for a friend and you'd pay more than this for basic parts. It looks like it is well built, and you can't beat a 5e3, so I'd get it!

10. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

See if he will give you the broken Jensen speaker. You may be able to repair it.

11. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Get it before its gone! As said worth that in parts! You will enjoy it!

12. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Speaker repair is a bit beyond my expertise unfortunately...
    Hopefully the 1258 I got from someone's blues deluxe would work out ok.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  13. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

It is a different beast....I own both...AC15C2 and 5e3.... Salt n pepper. Different but both are good. Jump B4 GONE!

14. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I believe you said he'd offer a Celestion Blue for an extra $200? If that's the case, you might as well get that, too. Then you're done and have fantastic tone.

muscmp likes this.
  15. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

That looks pretty nicely done. I'd move the safety ground to a proper dedicated bolt (seriously, what is people's fascination with using those tranny bolts?) but otherwise I like it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

corliss1 likes this.
  16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like a good buy to me. Good value.

17. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

I have a 5E3 clone with a Celestion Blue. Tone almost brings tears to my eyes (in a good way). Snap them both up before they are gone.

18. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Update:
    I was too weak to resist... Perhaps not the most responsable decision I could have made, as I'm reducing my collection and new gear isn't really in the budget right now (and I just bought my wife a surprise acoustic that wasn't in the budget either), but man did I get a good deal today!

Rang him and met up with him late afternoon. I played with my tele, and we ran it through my 1258 in a separate speaker cab I bought along for the test, as well as the P12R that was installed. The Jensen sounded nice, but caused some rattling/farting when turned up (he thought it might also be the cabinet). We also installed the 1258 into the combo to compare, and had a bit of a hiccup afterwards when the t-nut popped out of the baffle and we couldn't remove my speaker for a while.
    The Jensen didn't seem broken to me, just not quite up to handling full tweed distortion. Nevertheless, he gave it to me.
    (I didn't get the blue: really not in the budget, and someone bought it online just before I arrived. Still, I got to play through it briefly and it sounded great!)

End of the day, for 400$ I walked out with the amp as described, the Jensen (which he said he didn't need), a homemade thin plywood box as an amp cover, and several tubes, including two NOS 5Y3 and a NOS 12AY7.

A lovely and generous fellow I hope to jam with soon, as he's barely 20min from me.

The amp is great and made with a lot of care. He's going to send me a mail with a diagramme of some of the mods he's done, like the 3-way switched feedback (neg. feedback loop, or removal of the cathode bias cap) and some other components he's swapped, mostly to reduce bass and clean up the sound a bit. He gave me the original caps and resistors in case I want to make it 'stock', but I'm quite happy so far.
    The quality of the work is fantastic, close to boutique.

Next dilemma is which speaker to install, the 1258 or the P12R. I tried both, and the 1258 held together better at full volume, whereas the P12R sounded sweeter, but couldn't handle the drive as well, and probably wasn't as loud (hard to tell playing by yourself).

I also need to think about adding tweed covering someday to complete the look.

First impressions of the sound: very similar in feel to my Vox AC15 normal channel. Lots of drive, touch sensitive, and mostly clean when played gently. I look forward to a direct comparison soon.

All in all, a great deal today, and I met an interesting and generous musician who also likes fiddling with circuitry!

ce24, bftfender and rjtwangs like this.
  19. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

You scored. I have more than that in the one I built.

5 e 3s are their own beasts.

20. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Very cool. been modding clones the past year & am so dialed in. Congrats & enjoy the speaker selection, I have 3 dif main cabs & amps can sound very dif just by changing cabs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.