Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5E3 Build using 1951 Radio parts

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by kneedeepinit, Oct 25, 2017.

1. nsmith01tx

nsmith01tx TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I understand that you needed to mirror this to suit your chassis, but I gotta tell you this hurts my brain.

I turned your image on it's side so I can visualize it better, and also flipped a nice layout diagram from Rob's site.
    • It looks like you may need to remove a ground connection between 2 of the big filter caps.
    • Also, I think you need the ground bus (now across the top left), but maybe you're going to add the ground connections later?
    I can't really see some of the resistors there, so I'm not sure about the rest of your layout.

I think you're now the expert on this particular configuration, so walk through it carefully and make sure you have everything covered.

1951_Radio_5e3_mirror_layout.png
    5e3_Deluxe_Amp_Layout_mirror.png

2. kneedeepinit

kneedeepinit TDPRI Member

Oct 3, 2017
    calgary
    if it hurts the brain looking at it, imagine my poor noggin trying to do it.

I decided to be faithful to the mojotone layout as the reviews seem to be very good. They have a slightly different grounding scheme so I will try. If I end up with a hum, I will revert to the one you posted

[​IMG]

btw, the yellow marker lines on the leads is part of the checking process. It is how I found the lead that I had forgotten. One thing I read is that, when checking, do it twice then walk away for a bit. When you come back, start over one more time. That is how I found my mistake. If you look closely, you can spot the lead I missed because it did not have a yellow check mark on it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    nsmith01tx likes this.

3. kneedeepinit

Oct 3, 2017
    calgary
    I am making progress. I think I will be brutalizing this thing on the weekend. I have to wire up the heaters, tubes, and power so lots left. I got a little impatient and put some tubes in to see what it would look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. kneedeepinit

Oct 3, 2017
    calgary
    this is what it looks like underneath. Lots of room compared to the 5E3 builds I have seen. Good news for my fat fingers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fiat_cc likes this.

5. kneedeepinit

Oct 3, 2017
    calgary
    great start to the day. I got up early and finished wiring the 6v6 and 5y3. When I finished, I double checked and realized that my pin orientation was backwards and I have to redo them. The project just got extended by another hour.

the only positive is that the heater wires are pin 7 and 2, If I leave them, they are pin 2 and 7

:)

time for a break and another coffee.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

6. kneedeepinit

Oct 3, 2017
    calgary
    So i finished and have been tube rolling. It turns out my 12AY7 was bad. I tried several 12AT7 and found the bass to be too muddy. It opened right up when I put in a 12AX7. I am using a 12" JBL speaker. I think I am overdriving it more than I prefer so I am going to buy a couple of 12AY7.

My impression of the amp is that is very revealing. It instantly reacts to pick pressure, volume and tone controls. It is either going to make me a better player or I will give up. When I play correctly, it is beautifully smooth, when I hit a duck it is obvious.

The sound is instantly recognizable, vintage Fender. I have a very small hum but it is pretty quiet for a tube amp. I am not going to chase the hum looking for absolute silence as it is acceptable.

[​IMG]

robrob, Fiat_cc, D'tar and 1 other person like this.

7. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Congrats on getting it up and running. It will sound better with a 12AY7 in V1.

Chopstick your V1 and V2 leads around to try to reduce your hum, especially try to separate the pin 1 & 2 and 6 & 7 wires (plates and grids). It's easy and it can make a big difference.

kneedeepinit likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.