5E3 build and Hammond transformers

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by CtoshiningC, Feb 11, 2019.

1. CtoshiningC

CtoshiningC TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    I recently picked up a Boothill 5E3 kit and need to order a transformer set. Up here in Canada, Hammond looks to be a good bet. I was looking at the newer 290BBX. and trying to select an output transformer.

Two options I was checking out:

1750E - 15 watts - impedance @8500

1750H - 20 watts - lower impedance @6600

I could use some advice if one is a better option over the other.

Thanks!

2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I've used the 1750E for my Tweed Deluxe, Vibrolux, a Harvard, and I love it. Don't have experience with the 1750H (yet, one is sitting on my desk), but I will say that a friend who built a 6g2 with a 6.6k Deluxe Reverb OT heard my Vibrolux one day and replaced his with the 1750E like I had. Those circuits are nearly identical. I think if you want the vintage, saturated compression tone, the 1750E will probably be the better bet, and the H would probably be a little cleaner and hold together longer.

I haven't tried their BBX, but their BX puts my 5e3 right at 370v B+, and the BBX (though correct for a drop-in replacement) will probably be closer to 400v. So, you may want to browse some threads and see if you think you'd want higher or lower voltage. I think the 370v range is closer to what people shoot for these days for what the amp would have been running back in the 50's with lower wall voltage and to take it easier on the tubes.

3. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2011
    York
    The 1750E (Princeton) and 1750H (Deluxe) have different mounting hole distance, so if the chassis is pre-drilled for the H (Deluxe) distance the E is unlikely to be a straight fit without drilling another hole.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.