Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5CE5 Build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Mat, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Mat

Mat Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2003
    Australia
    No not a typo!

Having been dudded on a tweed pro that I bought paid for and haven’t received I figured I’d let karma do its’ business on the seller and I’d build one for myself.

The concept is essentially a 5E5 with an octal and 12AY7 pre-amp channel in a TV front cabinet. Planning to wire the octal channel up for 6SL7’s as I have a few and I understand that sonically they’re close to a 6SC7 which are getting hard to get.

Still tossing re switchable NFB.

Any thoughts / advice much appreciated.

CoyotesGator likes this.

2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Are you building the cabinet yourself? If you're doing a tv front, I'll be following! ;-)

3. Mat

Mat Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2003
    Australia
    No, I decided to get one built by the Speaker Factory up in Brisbane once the chassis is complete (and I sell some gear!).

jsnwhite619 likes this.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Note that the 5E5 Pro is much different from the 5E5A Pro.....so....which one are you going to build with that octal preamp channel? (;^) The 5E5 is somewhat like the 5C5 in the preamp...except for the method of Biasing the input stage....but differs in the PI while both amps are cathode biased outputs. The 5E5 and the 5E5A both have cathodyne PI, but the 5E5A is fixed biased and has a much more complex preamp than the earlier Pros.
    If one had the chassis to do it, having the simpler tone stack on the octal preamp channel and the more complex tone stack in the 12A-7 channel makes for a very versatile amp, ime. I would suggest cathode Biasing for both preamps instead of using the grid leak bias on the octal. Run the cathodyne PI and have switched cathode/fixed Biasing. There ya go...a 5C/E/E-A Pro. Best of three worlds. But......since you have decided on a vintage style cab and chassis, that rules out that versatility.

5. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I would think the 6SL7 is harder to get as it is more versatile with the split cathodes. Just doodled a bit. Could do a fixed bias or a switch for it, a few ways to do it out there.

[​IMG]

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    That 6SL7 channel is like a 5E5A, is it not? It is not like a 5E5 Pro at all. The 12AX7 channel looks more like the 5E5...which is a big 5E3 Deluxe.

7. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Wally, I was taking the points in your post and running with it. It is easy enough to Do a 5E5 with a 6SL7 in one channel and a 12AX7 in the other. Heck, I even drew that up without any switches. You know how hard that was?

8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Well my amp is not too far off from what you're talking about I guess. I have what I call a hot-rodded 5c5.

It has a cathode biased 6l6gc power section with a bigger PT to get closer to 28-30 watts.
    It has a larger 5e5a/bandmaster/super OT.
    It has two channels, both running a 6SL7.
    One channel is chathode biased and one channel is grid leak biased.
    It uses a paraphase phase inverter.

It has more power than a standard 5c5 or 5e5, but it's more compressed and squishy than a 5e5A because of the cathode biased power tubes and the paraphase phase inverter.

It's also in a custom made flip-top tweed cabinet with a reconed 60's p15n. IMG_2640.JPG IMG_2641.JPG IMG_2645.JPG IMG_2646.JPG

Wally, Mat and CoyotesGator like this.

9. Mat

Mat Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2003
    Australia
    Wow, some great thoughts and examples here.

Essentially I have a 5D5 chassis so I was planning a 5E5 platform with one octal channel from a 5C5 with grid leak biasing replacing one of the 9 pin inputs - fairly similar to screamin' eagles. I have a 5A3 Deluxe and really like the squishy grid leak biasing sound on that. I'll try and get a circuit diagram up in a few days.

Keep those thoughts and comments rolling in - this will be my Xmas build so lots of planning happening at this point.

10. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    You can have the grid leak channel switchable to cathode biased with a double pole switch.

11. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    The only thing about the grid leak channel is that it doesn’t like drive pedals. At all.

But it also doesn’t need one either. At all.

12. Mat

Mat Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2003
    Australia
    Parts beginnings to arrive. I have been pondering whether to do something with negative feedback or a presence control. If I did would want it to be switchable so that it is on or out of the circuit. To locate it I was thinking to relocate the fuse to the lower chassis and free up the hole for a switchable pot.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this mod

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.