5879 to EF86 tube converter?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by NOLAslider, Jun 17, 2019.

1. NOLAslider

NOLAslider Tele-Meister

Recently acquired a really cool c.1960 Gibson GA-40 "Les Paul" amp. It uses 5879 preamp tubes, and has a ton of zing. My tech had a converter to run an EF86, and that sounded much sweeter and fuller than the 5879 in that application.
    I can't find a similar converter online to save my life. I've found one for putting a 5879 into an EF86 socket, but not the other way around.
    My tech got his a long time ago from a Chinese supplier on eBay, so he wasn't able to point me to a direct source.
    Any ideas? thx!

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Why not have your tech just rewire the socket? It appears that the primary "technical" difference is only the pinout. If that's correct it would be a simple job rewiring the socket for an EF86.

radiocaster likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

One might wonder if the 5879 is simply worn out and what a new 5879 would do for the amp? And....if one really wanted to do so, a glass cutter, a noval tube socket, and some work would get an adapter built...using a dead noval tube base.

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You can buy these "socket savers", they look like those converters but have the same pinout top and bottom. In fact many of the adapters are modified socket savers, they don't make adapters as a factory product, they are boutique items.
    http://www.popular-hifi.com/projects/nad_stereo/socket_converter/index.html

Although in this case, I would rather rewire the amp, much simpler and sturdier solution.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.