Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

58 telecaster neck value?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by cap217, May 30, 2013.

1. cap217

cap217 Tele-Holic

What is the value of a 58 tele neck with a 57 soft V shape? No tuners but the decal is in tact.

2. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

More info and

Pics! Nowhere near enough info there to be able to answer that.
    Does it have original Frets? Are they okay or does it need refretting? Original Finish? No oversize tuners holes? No extra holes on the back to fit non orig Tuners, or compression rings on the headstock face from aftermarket Tuners? Extra String Tree or hole where one was removed? Does the Truss Rod work? Is it in nice clean condition? Finally, why has it been removed from the rest of the guitar? All of the above would have an effect on the value. Post some decent pics or a link to some and you'll have some answers.

3. cap217

cap217 Tele-Holic

Oversized tuner holes and newer holes for F tuners I think. Looks like original finish and frets but I am not sure. Decal looks too good but it looks ok to me.

Attached Files:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Pretty big frets have been installed. Deal breaker for me, especially if the board has been refinished, which you can't tell from the pic. Although oversize tuners have been there at some point, it will look okay after Klusons go back on. If the finish is original all over and you are okay with the "Train track" fret wire, I would think they would ask for $3500 on Ebait and perhaps put up a "make offer" option and hope to attract $3k. I feel that would be a pretty good score if you were happy with the things we discussed. To me I'd be thinking $2.5k as fair....are you selling or buying?

6. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Can the seller blacklight it to verify the finish and logo?

7. cap217

cap217 Tele-Holic

He said the Neck was 100% original with light overspray on the fretboard. The 1st fret was replaced. It has the original decal. It was inspected under a blacklight.

8. cap217

cap217 Tele-Holic

I would like to know if this is a $1,000 neck, a $3,000 neck, or more? I am tempted to buy it but I dont know if its worth $3k/

9. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

If if was refretted, partly refinished, re-decalled and with enlarged tuner holes but structurally fine without any shaving, excessive sanding etc., it would still sell for 1500 on Ebay easily. My hunch would be that this one might sell for double that amount, provided that the seller's info is correct. Terry's statements above made a lot of sense to me. These are great necks btw.

10. cap217

cap217 Tele-Holic

I missed this post.... Thanks for the info. I am told the frets are original besides the 1st one.

11. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Meister

Here's a 59 neck (#38301) that I acquired cheap because some idiot scalloped it. It's got a new 9.5 radius fretboard, vintage frets, and bone nut. The tuner ferrules and string tree are original, but the tuners are Gotoh SD91's, mounted in the original been refinished and redecaled. I'm guessing there's no real resale value because it's not original, but it'll make a nice player. The 50's neck profile is great. I like the looks of that 58 in maple.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Can you get a close up of the Fretboard? Those Frets look huge to me, even when I stretch that pic on my IPad.

13. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire

+1- those don't look like vintage frets to me...

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Tele-Holic

I'd pass on that neck. Maybe this will help you decide.

Attached Files:

15. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

if you look closer there does seem to be a filled in dowel hole

16. TheFullMonty

TheFullMonty Tele-Holic

Is it just me, or do the the truss rod nut slots on that '58 look grossly off centered?

17. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

yeah i can see maybe its been replaced

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.