Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5751 uses?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Bill Moore, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

I recently obtained a box of old tubes, many have been used, but was told most were working, just changed as maintenance. There are many assorted makes of pre tubes, Fender, GE, Sylvania, RCA, Sovtec,(even Honeywell). Among the ECC83's,12AX7's 7025's,12AT7's,and12AU7's, is a sleeve of JAN 5751 that appear NOS. I'm going to try some in my DR clone in V1, V2, and V3, thinking I'll benefit from lower noise, higher headroom, and a less aggressive reverb.
    Has anybody tried this tube?
    Comments?

2. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Paris, IL
    Yep, very nice tube - especially for getting a bit less gain through the preamp. Work best as preamp tubes. Alternate choice for 12AX7 but about 30% less gain.

Geo, Wally, Uncle Daddy and 1 other person like this.

3. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    Connecticut
    I have one in my Super Reverb in the reverb driver position for "less aggressive" verb and it does the trick!

Geo, Mr Ridesglide and Bill Moore like this.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I like them, but NOS in box in sleeve JAN 5751 are worth bigger money from audiophiles and/ or guitar amp tube nuts than the bang for the buck you will get by trying them out of curiosity and changing them into used tubes.

What brand?
    Production dates on boxes?
    Production codes on tubes match boxes?
    Over $50 per tube and might go well over depending on which brand and what era.

gkterry likes this.

5. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I mention in sleeve because audiophiles want perfectly matched tubes for stereo, where guitar players don't need that.
    A sleeve of tubes generally came off the same line on the same day, and command a little higher price.
    JAN is Joint Army Navy, so they have production documentation on the box, along with higher reliability construction followed by more thorough screening before being packed and shipped.

6. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

They are all GE, 1 is 7/83, 1 is 2/87, and the other 3 are 8/87.
    In this deal I got 2 Weber Sig12's (like new), and maybe 50+ tubes at a really good price, so I don't really need to sell anything to come out OK.

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Not a good choice for V3. 12AT7 is an ideal tube for that slot. A better choice for V4. 12AU7 works to tame the 'verb.

Wally and JD0x0 like this.

8. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Maybe leave the three 8/87 in the sleeve and experiment with the other two.
    '80s US tubes are still good but less expensive except for a few tubes that actually got improved in the '80s, like the special tube request 6L6 used by Mesa, Fender and Peavey.
    There were some mods to cheapen US tubes in the '80s too.
    They can be tricky to place value on and some crimped plate 6L6 sell for the price of welded plate versions.

IIRC the V1 is the normal channel in a DR, so you can just try V2 and V3?
    Not that important but they will never make these again and true NOS is worth preserving. They aren't high dollar tubes yet, but IMO deserve stewardship.

Edit: Forgot but @waparker4 pointed out that V3 is run as a power tube to drive the reverb transducer, so not the best use of a 5751.

Bill Moore likes this.

9. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I run one in V1 of my 5E3 and I'm very happy with it there.

ce24 likes this.

10. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    Just to note, the 5751 is NOT an ideal tube for the reverb driver spot on an AB763 Fender. That driver needs to needs be a high-current 12AT7 or 12AU7 driver tube, the current draw will crush 12AX7, 12AY7, and 5751's.

aerhed, Wally, JD0x0 and 2 others like this.

11. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

I guess I'll try one in V2, since I don't normally use V1. I'll try one of the 12AU7's in V3, and see if it does what I want.
    I surely like this forum!
    Many knowledgeable folks that are willing to share!
    Thank you all!

telemnemonics likes this.

12. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

May 27, 2010
    Seattle WA
    I had an '86 Fender Concert a while ago. Reverb was pretty noisy. I subbed a 5751 for the 12AX7 reverb recovery tube (V4) and it quieted right down. Still plenty of reverb and a little better control with the knob.

Bill Moore likes this.

13. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    I find 5751's work well in amps that use a 12ax7 in the phase inverter position.

Using a 7247/12DW7 in V4 of a Fender reverb amp works best to tame the "dwell' or splash of the reverb. The 7247 is half 12au7 and half 12ax7. It just so happens the socket is wired as such that the 12au7 half recovers the signal and the 12ax7 half passes it to the next stage as intended.

aerhed and Bill Moore like this.

14. I have an ‘86 GE JAN 5751 in the V1 of my SuperSonic 22. It really gave the amp warmth and lushness.

Bill Moore likes this.

15. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Google and this site's search function will get you more than you will ever want to know about 5751 tubes. They have probably been discussed here at least a thousand times.

16. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

I installed 2 of the 5751's in V2 and V4, there is less gain on the "vibrato" channel, and the reverb is a little less aggressive. I tried a 12AU7 in V3, but didn't like it. I found a 6201 and installed it there, and like it!

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Those would be the expected results of having 5751’s in V2 and V4 of a two channel Fender Reverb amp....and for the changes in the Reverb driver. With the reduced strength in the Reverb return due to the lower gain in V4, a 12AU7 might weaken the driver part of the reverb circuit to the point where the Reverb would be anemic.????

Bill Moore likes this.

18. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    If you want less reverb, forget about tubes. Just change the reverb's grid leak resistor to a different value, or add a 'dwell' control. To me, it's cheaper than tube swaps, too.

19. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

If I build another AB763 type, I probably will do a reverb control mod, but I've got a box of tubes, and it's just too easy swap them and see what it sounds like!
    I'm liking the sound for now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.