Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

57 Tele neck - what to sell it for? (and how?)

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by randallp, Aug 28, 2017.

1. randallp

randallp TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2010
    SW Florida

2. mipstoo

mipstoo TDPRI Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Rockingham Palace
    Around $1,500 would be a fair price, but they are being listed for more (not often sold fast)

randallp likes this.

3. randallp

randallp TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2010
    SW Florida
    Thanks - we haven't a clue.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    No story? Why sell neck and not complete guitar? Surely its worth a lot more together? If you want to install a different neck to play, why not keep the old neck and reinstall in the future to sell for "big bucks"? Sorry for being nosy.....I just gotsta know.....

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Having posted above, I then went and looked at your original post in 2016.....I understand very little is original on guitar. (even body may be replacement) That DOES hurt value. But still, does the guitar not have sentimental value as is? Still being nosy....it's just hard to control myself.

Big tuna, hrstrat57 and randallp like this.

6. mipstoo

mipstoo TDPRI Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Rockingham Palace
    If the tuners are correct and from the same period maybe even somewhat more...

randallp likes this.

7. randallp

randallp TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2010
    SW Florida
    Yeah - it was so sad to see wifey's face when it dawned on her that her mom's guitar (wifey learnt her first C,F, & G on it) had been got at by her brothers over the years! As you can see from the discussion.. It *did* play really nicely when it arrived in the mail but looked odd to me. The more we looked, the more it became clear it had been got at. I've just put a pic up of the bridge cover and machine heads that were in the case. fullsizeoutput_1a7a.jpeg

8. randallp

randallp TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2010
    SW Florida
    pic above of tuners - do they look like the originals?

9. mipstoo

mipstoo TDPRI Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Rockingham Palace
    In the latest picture definitely not. The ones on the neck are the correct type but better close-ups are necessary. Especially where the tuner shaft exits the casing.

10. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    They're listed for far more. 1500 $ is usually half price for a 67 neck, so even if they don't really seem to sell at full price, this seems extremely cheap for a 57. It would sell in ten minutes and you'd see it reappear at 6000 $ the day after.

2 Headed Goat likes this.

11. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    What don't you have one of the forumites build a body for that neck? That'd be cool

nojazzhere likes this.

12. mipstoo

mipstoo TDPRI Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Rockingham Palace
    Without tuners and the state of it from the pictures, I wouldn't pay a lot more for it. Maybe $2000... I see them listed for a lot more, but never sold...

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Terry O'Riley of twangcentralguitars.com.au deals in such necks, he sold a couple to his friend Joe Bo this time last year.
    Joe stayed for the AFL grand final B-B-Q. Anyway , Terry sells such parts and would probably be interested. He would want some sort of authentication as he is a creditable worldwide dealer.

14. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France

If a 57 neck would be worth 2000 $ I think that'd be a very good news, because it'd mean it woudn't be worth parting them to get more money anymore. But I'm afraid some continue to do so…

15. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    This neck worn the way it is is a beauty ! I just love it.

Big tuna likes this.

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Yes, IF any parts and guitar are genuine, Terry will deal with it. Like I said joe Bonamassa literally rang him after his plane had landed, bought two Fender vintage necks and a body, Doobie Bros. are other customers. I kid you not, if it is GENUINE Terry will possibly be interested. Contact him.
    P.S. I know him well, as do many in our city, but am not an agent for sales.
    Also, parting out products means you can sell at your asking price and, compared to the US, you'd do better. JMHO

17. jazzmaster90150

jazzmaster90150 TDPRI Member

Aug 6, 2017
    NYC
    Best is actually to contact Joe Bonamassa by instagram. If he's interested, he'll reply. However it seems that a lot of folks believe Joe would buy anything. He's a talented musician and a great collector. He only buys what he likes. Last but not least, there are plently of players and collectors who could be interested.

18. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Why don't you sell on Ebay? The neck is genuine, I have no doubt about that. It has been refretted and at that time the fingerboard was refinished, which has since then aged very nicely. I guess that the headstock finish and logo are original. You should have it checked out by a guitarist to verify that is not warped or anything and that the trussrod still functions. He might also be able to describe the neckshape (V or C or V to C or whatever). Buyers will want to know. If the neck is all good and you settle for 1500 you would be quite an idiot IMO and even I would buy it from you! 3000 is more like it but you have to be sure it is all good.

BTW 3000 is also cheap but you may not be able to get more because you don't have the reputation or credits that a dealer may have. Also it takes time to find the right buyer and you may have to relist a few times. Don't get discouraged the neck is definately worth at least that amount.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Big tuna likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.