'57 CUSTOM DELUXE™ vs '64 CUSTOM DELUXE REVERB®

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele Plucker, May 15, 2019.

1. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker TDPRI Member

Hi folks,

I am looking at purchasing either a '57 CUSTOM DELUXE™ or a '64 CUSTOM DELUXE REVERB®. As I haven’t been able to A/B them, can anyone speak of these amps in terms of suitably to say vintage Telecasters and Stratocasters and or ES-335’s, mostly playing blues style or some vintage rock.

Would either amp stand out over the other? For comparison sake, opinions minus the use of the Tremolo and Reverb.

I’ve been using a stock Blues Jr for both practice and small club use.

Spring is here.....cheers!

2. scelestus

scelestus TDPRI Member

I don't own either of these, but I do have a '57 Deluxe (RI) and a DRRI. The Blackface amp will be cleaner, louder, and stiffer in response. The '57 is probably a better choice for blues or vintage rock, but only if the volume suits you (clean headroom might be an issue with the '57, but the DRRI would probably be OK as a fairly clean platform at reasonable band volume where you could get gain from your pedals).

uriah1 likes this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Of the two, I'd choose the 64 Blackface, simply because it's more versatile. The 57 will be great, but it can't do the cleans that the 64 can. And if you need more dirt from the 64, you can use pedals.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The DRRI sounds far better to me than the '64. Nice, as I bought mine new for about 1/4 the price.

Your question doesn't really compute. Do you want a Tweed amp (limited volume range - silent to LOUD, limited headroom, loose bass, limited EQ) or a SF/BF with reverb, trem, more headroom, two "channels" and more EQ? We can't really tell you that.

5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't have any experience with tweed deluxes, but I have played the 64 and I think it is the best sounding amp I've ever played. I don't have as much knowledge as most others here, but I don't see how you could go wrong with it.

I think fender makes a "tweed bassman" pedal that would produce some tweed tones through it, I guess.

6. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

very different amps & sounds

depends on your style of playing / what you like

bf is that glorious scooped clean drenched in reverb

tweed is that raunchy full tone, that breaks up really nicely

7. BobbyJames

BobbyJames Tele-Meister

Definitely agree that they are two very different types of amps - I’ve wanted a 57 Custom Deluxe for years now as I’m a big Neil young fan, but if I had a choice between that and a ‘64 I don’t know which I’d pick.

To give you an answer, I feel like the ‘64 will be more versatile for those clean sounds, plus you can get something like the Catalinbread Formula ‘55 Overdrive Tweed Deluxe if you really are craving that sound - I’ve not used one, but it seems to nail the tone of the old fender tweed amps

8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

I concur with everyone. You really have to go and try both - and by that I mean generically a Deluxe Reverb and Tweed Deluxe, not the specific models

MilwMark likes this.
  9. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Boy, you really are comparing apples to oranges here. :) About the only thing alike about the two amps is the name "Fender" on them. If you want a grit and grind and in-your-face amp, the 57 is what you need. No real clean headroom at all, breaks up really early. The 64, to me, is the perfect amp. Crystal-clean sound if you want it but can get nasty if you turn it up. But by the time you get it to overdrive, you'll be breaking windows....FWIW, I've had, and sold, several 57 Deluxes, just never sounded what I was looking for, even though I kept trying. I recently bought a '64 Custom Deluxe and will never get rid of it. Wish Fender had made these years ago, it has stopped my hunt for "the sound". The 65 DRRI came really close, the HW 64 checked all of the boxes.

archetype likes this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

In my case, I probably paid as much for my 65 DRRI as the '64. Ultimately, It was just spread out over the 4 I owned (and sold 3) over the years before I finally came back around,. Whoops.

11. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

You know what they say.....you can add dirt but you can't add clean.

It's true. Buy the DR.

;)

scelestus likes this.
  12. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

just got a tweed deluxe circuit..i can get clean..just back vol on guitar back. It is a gritty amp or will yield the classic sounds it was intended to..or.. boosted it cause just had to see & got it in the ballpark of what i favor for an amp tone wise, 427gut (2).jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  13. Fluddman

Fluddman TDPRI Member

I have a few Tweed Deluxe's and they have enough clean headroom for home use but not enough for gig levels. Because of this I gig with a DRRI.

I only have single coil guitars but I imagine if you are using humbuckers the headroom would be further reduced.

14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a blackface PRRI and am trying to get a good price for a DRRI. I like my Princeton BUT a DRRI has more wattage, power, two channels and is a great amp. ( Had a Blues Jr and got rid of that real quick).

15. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

‘64 CDR no question.

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would buy the 64 Custom Dr. It is not exactly a direct copy of a DR in that it has bias vary tremolo....and it has Reverb on both channels. The bias vary operates on the output...so it is always available. I like that. It is also a handwired eyelet board amp. I would be changing the Normal channel for more midrange and gain....so it would be closer to the tweed thing.

LudwigvonBirk likes this.
  17. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker TDPRI Member

Thanks to everyone for their input....much appreciated. In the end, perhaps I should have one of each. Cheers...

scelestus likes this.
  18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Get a Pro Sonic....it can do what those two amps do and much, much more. Or.....yes, get one of everything.

19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

In a band mix I would definitely want the 64 type. It's just a much more robust sounding and less "one trick pony" style of amp. (I've only compared vintage or direct clones of the two"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.