'54 re-issue 1996 50th Anniversary Japan Telecaster advice!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by walter bernards, May 25, 2019.

1. walter bernards

walter bernards TDPRI Member

Hey guys - I'm in the market for a new tele. Very inspired by Keith and Jonny Greenwood. I've already got a daphne blue 60s strat so I'm thinking a 50s tele is the move.

I've got my eye on a 50th anniversary '54 Reissue Made in Japan. It's natural colored which is more rare, has the 50s pickguard, and was fond of the youtube video the owner posted. I know it's very important to try a guitar before you buy but I love how this guitar looks and I think I'll be able to negotiate the price.

He's asking $999 - what's a good price for this guitar (includes hardshell) and what do ya'll know about this model? I'm assuming I'll upgrade pups and electronics down the road if I go with it.

Any other tele suggestions would be great! I've also got my eye on a les paul special (natural like Bob Marley's), but again, tele is on my mind.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love MIJ Fender stuff.
    The woodwork, fit and finish is always great.
    As you mentioned, the electronics are usually less than great, especially on the older stuff.
    Swap em’ out and rock on!

kinkstah likes this.
  3. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

+1
    MIJ/CIJ Fender guitars are usually very good guitars. With some mods (electronics), which are not always necessary by the way, depending on the models (stock pickups may sound good provided a proper setup, and stock pots/switches -while not the most durable on MIJ- are easily and inexpensively replaceable), those are guitars you may like/keep forever.

GuitarKid likes this.
  4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm far from being an MIJ expert, but I'd ask experts about how "reissue" this model really is. Many of the MIJ Fenders are approximations of 50s and 60s MIA Fenders, but aren't close enough to be a reissue. For example, a natural finish was not a '54 feature.

If you want a good guitar, this one may be exactly what you need. If you want a "reissue" of a classic feature set, you might want to throw in $250-400 more and get a used MIA '52 RI.

MrHamburger likes this.
  5. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

That price seems high to me, especially if you’re located in LA. You could buy a new cij guitar for less than that. I think $600-$800 is more the used price range I see here in Portland. If you’re patient and a good negotiator you could pay even less.

6. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Meister

Following the logic, not even MIA reissues should be called reissues. They are not made from the same machines, with the same methods; the paints used don't have the same formula; the dimensions may vary, like with all guitars. I think the term reissue is perfectly applicable to some MIJ/CIJ Fenders. This, or we call all of them "tributes", including the american made ones.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The 50th, 60th anniversary guitars just have a plaque or sticker denoting such but it has no intrinsic higher value unless it's a limited special like an ash sunburst or plus maple top

Natural MIJ Telecasters are not rare and the owners often mislabel them 'butterscotch blonde'. This guitar could be a '52' that someone has painted the pickguard white or replaced. Does it have steel saddles?

That price seems high to me. HSC even if it's a genuine Tweed GC AVRI is a $100 +/-.

Beware that there's actually several different models in that JDM range. Often the owners don't know which is which. And because of the ease of swapping parts between different origin guitars unless you can find it in a catalogue it's a question mark to pay top dollar for. We've got a couple of members who are MIJ-savvy, hopefully one might chime in.

Some of the Japanese Fenders have better spec wood and even US pickups, same vintage Kluson-type Gotoh tuners as the US vintage stuff. That one does look to be a higher spec model.

For those dollars though - that's almost US Vintage 52 prices.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  8. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'm not well up on MIJ Telecasters, but if it were a Strat, it would be about $300 overpriced.

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

That's not really a '54 Reissue' - modern tuners, looks like sen body not ash and 7 hole guard. Probably MIJ pickups, otherwise it'd say US Texas Specials.

It's probably a not bad guitar but not worth a premium IMO.

11. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

As far as I am aware they only made one telecaster in Japan that they actually called a reissue and it was in 1996 all guitars had the anniversary sticker on that's nothing special I have this guitar in Blonde it's Basswood as you would expect and the bridge pickup is superb but the neck pickup is weak picture of my guitar and extract from the catalogue below Not sure the one you are looking at is the same model
    WP_000017.jpg SAM_1332.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.