Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

54 blonde Tele finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Pink_Floydfan91, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Pink_Floydfan91

Pink_Floydfan91 TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    I have an ash tele body I would like to finish in an early 50s blonde color. I use a spray gun setup with Sherwin Williams Lovoc lacquer. What are the best recipes for achieving this color?

This is the body with the grain filled, five coats of sealer and one coat of clear to lock in my sealer.
    IMG_2531.JPG

2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    I have used MOHAWK Champagne Frost toner with great success.
    MohawkToner.jpg

Flakey likes this.

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The difference in the 54 blonde is described as a 'limed white finish'. To a traditional house painter (like my dad who did a proper apprenticeship) a limed white finish was applied by hand with a rag - basically chalky water. You let dry, then applied your clear. From the appearance of old Teles compared to earlier Blackguard that's what they look like to me. I think what Fender does on the 50's Classic and Mary Kay Strats is just paint them a white rather than yellowish 'aged blonde'. But it doesn't quite look the same

IMG_4149.jpg

4. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    Thanks for the replies guys. I’m thinking maybe 10-12 drops of mixol white with lacquer thinned 50/50. Lock in the white with a coat of clear. Then spray a coat of amber lacquer thinned 50/50 for the aged look. Then spray six coats of clear

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Your approach may look just fine - or may be far too "amber". It will not be nearly as yellow as most of the the example above. Most amber aging toners are too "brown" with some reddish tones. And are you going fo an aged/relic look or a "new" guitar look?

The main issue is that there is no specific color as what you describe. Originals have long since changed into virtually hundreds of different variations, and "custom", "reissue" and such versions are each significantly different.

Your best approach is to pick a guitar you like and try to match as best you can to that. To do it, however, you'll need to understand the various processes involved. It's is a transparent finish and as such very difficult to achieve consistently unless you have excellent spray technique with semi-transparent finishes.

Whichever way you go I suggest spraying the whole system on some scrap with distinctive grain so you'll know what to expect. Once the white is applied you'll be on a one-way street and may not like the results.

Flakey likes this.

6. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    This is the color I’m after it’s a 1954 Esquire IMG_2500.JPG

Old Tele man and brookdalebill like this.

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    dewaxed "platina" shellac flakes, DNA, and white Mixol:

blonde-tele.jpeg

and one drop (only) of terrabrown Mixol, as I recall -- any more than that gives you the old "flesh" color of Crayon

8. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    I like that color. You used dewaxed shellac for the color, or just the flakes to get the base color in the mixture?

9. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    I’ve thought about mixing up some white lacquer and adding a drop of vintage amber or brown mixol.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    the dewaxed flakes (in "platina" color) give you a very pale amber, a little on the yellow side

one drop of terrabrown Mixol, and 25 drops of white Mixol

11. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    Thanks. I may try it with a bit of lacquer since it’s amber out of the can. How many oz of shellac flakes did you use?

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Great looking guitar!

13. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana

Wellermart on amazon

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017

14. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    That's nice! How does that Charlie Christian pup sound in the neck position?

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    It sounds just like I expected it to: mid-heavy, round, clear, kind of hooty but not too much.

With the Novak bridge, a low wind, the middle position sounds like a traditional tele middle position.

My cap is an .047, with a variable treble bleed.

One issue with the shellac method is to be sure to apply the shellac in a randomized pattern. As a newbie, I did it in strokes, which made it a bit of a pain to sand and produced some subtle streaking in the white. If I had to do it over, I'd spray. But my wife appreciated the complete lack of smell in the house, and my early morning shellac sessions were meditative ... : )

BuckSatan likes this.

16. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    Thanks again. I’ve ordered some and now comes the waiting game.

17. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

Wellermart sells a decent product. I've used a few of their shellac offerings - garnet, platina, and button lac. They are all clean and dissolve easily. I like using the "green" variety of denatured alcohol or 190 proof P.G.A. (aka Everclear). I'd rather be breathing corn fumes than "industrial alcohol" fumes.

People that know more about it than I do, say don't use the low octane Everclear (160 proof?) At my local state store the 190 proof is much cheaper than the weaker stuff, but you have to ask for it - they keep it in the stockroom instead of on the sales shelf. I suppose it could be a potentially dangerous substance in the hand of dummies :). I do know it's hell on the vocal cords; difficult to speak after doing a shot, probably temporary paralysis due to the anesthetic effect :confused:.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

ndcaster likes this.

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    cool I'll be interested to see the results of shooting it rather than using the pad

19. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    I’ll be sure to share it here.

20. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    I like this color too. Would you say it’s butterscotch blonde?

IMG_2738.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.