Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

53' "Esquire" help!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by fenderguy813, Jan 8, 2018.

1. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Not an experiment at the factory.
    Not an experiment at the factory. If I were you I’d stay away from the neck for the moment and see what’s going on with the body finish. With that said, please post pics of your neck experiment.

fenderguy813 likes this.

2. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    A great Exquire to have passed down.
    If it was mine, I'd leave the finish the way it is as a tribute to grandpa.

3. fenderguy813

fenderguy813 TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    So is it on the back of the neck on that as well? Because the one i have has it there but its weird because is on top of the varnish. And yes it is original finish around the screw holes. My only question now is should i leave that spot alone or how would i remove the varnish and keep the pencil there. Im guessing its near impossible to do that though.

4. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It’s highly unlikely it’s on top of the varnish. Maybe an optical illusion. It looks like there is some original finish under the back of the body too peaking through. I’m not sure how you would remove the varnish without removing the original finish. Be careful! Might need a professional. Are there any experts who live near you?

fenderguy813 likes this.

5. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Another vote for this. Make it playable, and leave the finish be. Maybe the neck I would try and remove the varnish on.

6. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    fenderguy813 likes this.

7. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    Yeah It looks to be esq though. I found a picture on google of it under the pickguard and behind the neck plate.

8. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    Yeah it could be. But ive decided to leave that area untouched as well as the front where it is original color. And no professionals around here that i know of. My grandpa paid a guy to have it redone a while ago and he took his money and did nothing. Good thing he didn't take the guitar!

9. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    So alright in all honesty how much do you guys think this guitar would sell for as is? And what about after i re-finish it? Because i have decided to re finish it im not selling it is why i am going to and dont plan on selling it either. Just kind of curious on the value?

10. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Does the neck have varnish too? That's not really clear from the poorly typed replies. I like how it looks so I'm hoping it's not varnished.

I wouldn't worry about the value if I was keeping it. I'd just want to get all that crap off of it & leave as much as possible original.

fenderguy813 likes this.

11. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    Yeah and i did sand the back after i took a razor to the very thin layer or nitro that was on it, very carefully, and it is not varnish it was completely stripped of its finish and stained... The neck to.. All except the few spots that are original.

12. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    I mainly wondered the value because my grandpa was curious to. This was his guitar originally and he gave it to his dad then he got it back.

Oldwood likes this.

13. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    First off, if there is original finish on that body that can be saved, don’t refinish it! Did you ever measure the body thickness to see if was sanded down? It should be 1.75” thick everywhere. Unfortunately, Grandpa devalued the neck by sanding and staining and lost the neck date. Also, at this time we don’t know if the neck is backbowed or warped, as it hasn’t been played. The original metal parts and bridge pup look good and are very valuable. The body could be very valuable too if the original finish can be uncovered. The only big question remaining is the body finish/sanding. This could swing the value by a couple of grand at least. On the parts market, I’m guessing you could get $4,000+ just for the bridge pup, bridge plate and saddles, controls, tuners, and back plate and screws. The body could be $1,000 or $5,000 depending on those finish and sanding issues. The untested sanded neck might bring $1000 as-is. So I’m guessing everything you’ve got, as-is = $6,000+.
    Maybe much more depending on the body finish issue.

fenderguy813 likes this.

14. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    Yeah there is no warping of the neck i did string it up and play and it played great no fret buzz even. And the actions was really low. I did not however have the bridge pickup hooked up so thats still needing to be checked which I'll be doing very soon. But yeah there is hardly any of the original finish.. but there is some on the body and same for the neck(mainly the headstock) all of the hardware including screws are all original and i have all of it. Minus the pickguard. The body width is around 1.70 in all of the spots i checked. I did like the finish but my grandpa wants it back to its original colors. Im sure it wont hurt the value anymore. I am keeping the original color thats there on it just refinishing the stuff thats stained. Either way i know its a nice player and thats what it will be used for. Thanks for the estimates though we were just curious.

15. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sounds like it will be a great player. Post some pics when it’s done!

fenderguy813 likes this.

16. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    If you're interested in restoring the original finish, I'd consult an expert on stripping back that varnish to see what is left of the original blonde.

Or strip it all off and give it a fresh start. A refinished refin is still a refin.

Either way, play the hell out of it for years to come.

fenderguy813 likes this.

17. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    Yeah there is basically none though it was sanded down then stained and a coat of nitro over the whole thing. Neck and body. The film i pulled of was yellow and near the frets was red from the stain. The whole body is sanded down now though and there was no original color except where pictured. It was sad but it is what it is i suppose.

18. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    And i dont blame him for it either because alot of times we get something and change it to how we want it not thinking about what it'll be worth in the future, especially back then.

rab-33 likes this.

19. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    So here is an update on this so far. Roughly sanded the whole thing down. Purchased a pickguard and thats it so far. Sanding it down was a pain, especially getting the fretboard perfect. I left the wear marks to keep the vintage look. Sorry for the lighting 20180118_004958.jpg 20180118_010625.jpg

Twisted Kerle and t guitar floyd like this.

20. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    20180118_011008.jpg

t guitar floyd, CWP0126 and metale like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.