Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

53' "Esquire" help!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by fenderguy813, Jan 8, 2018.

1. fenderguy813

fenderguy813 TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    Thanks everyone who replied. Sorry i just got off of work. But my plan was to restore it and keep it. So no thanks to the 500$ range lol. And all parts are 100% original. The electronics are all there. Im pretty sure the only thing its missing is 2 capacitors and a resistor. Thanks for the advice on measuring the body width to i didnt think of that. I plan on taking my time and restoring this guitar myself though. I have alot of experience building guitars and working on them. I am just worried that the neck mainly fretboard cant be messed with. I will post more pics in just a few minutes.

2. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    Oh and as for the humbucker my grandpa did say it was from a gibson. But no marks are on it at all so im unsure of that.

3. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    20180109_000903.jpg 20180109_000854.jpg

4. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
  5. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Are there remnants of a sticker on the underside?

Either PAF or Patent number?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
  7. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    Not that i can see. And it looks like the cover is soldered right on to it.

8. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Ignore my above post. If that 'was' a PAF or Pat no., that is a dam shame. Half of it is missing. It has been converted to a single coil.

Anyway, looks like a great project. I kinda like it as is though. Were it mine, I might leave it the way Grandpa left it. That 'varnish' might actually be nitrocelulosa. Many were way back when.

fenderguy813 likes this.
  9. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I didn't see the picture before I posted. The cover should be soldered on. But that is no longer a Humbucker. It has had a coilectomy.

aerhed likes this.
  10. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    Yeah I've been looking for a pickup with the mount where it is and can't find anything on it. It reminds me almost of a very early p90.

11. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

That is a custom one off. The base plate has had the mounting ears cut off, and half the plate folded over to contain only half the pickup. The other coil has been removed. Your grandpa did something...interesting to it. lol

12. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    20180109_004304.jpg 20180109_004235.jpg 20180109_004052.jpg 20180109_004022.jpg 20180109_003919.jpg Alright and now the really bad part of this.. So the body you can see is literally drilled and chizzled out and when he did that it took away something that was penciled on. And the neck has no date by the truss rod but something penciled on the back that looks like he started to varnish it and caught himself. The neck is perfectly straight though so thats good.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  13. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I think that pencil on the original finish was your grandpa's writing. Fender didn't do that IMO.

fenderguy813 likes this.
  14. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country

15. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    That pickup is strange, it has no screws to hold the bobbin to the plate so I doubt its Gibson. It's some single coil masquerading as a humbucker. The tuners look like 53 to 56 klusons. at least one of the pots look to be changed. Can you read the code on the pot you didn't photograph? I can't tell if there are no tone caps or if that's a ceramic disc cap either way it's not original. How is the contour on the back of the neck? The bridge looks right. The serial number is in the ballpark for a 53.

Should be an interesting project. Good luck.

StrangerNY and lp special like this.
  16. fenderguy813

Jan 8, 2018
    country
    Yeah im not sure about the pickup at all. I know it wont be going back on though, and yeah the back of that pot says the same thing the tops both say what i believe is clarostat made in usa. One is gold one is silver color on the tops. And the other pot has blue stamping not black.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  17. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    The pot on the picture looks like the correct ink-stamped Clarostat pot to me. In fact all hardware looks correct.

With a nice aged black pickguard covering the routing it would look very nice. Much better that that ubiquitous "restored" look, IMHO (like a reissue). This aged patina is something to cherish.

Also, I would NOT try to fill the HB rout with wood and reroute for a SC. Believe it or not you might ruin its sound by gluing in a block of wood at that particular spot on the body (as I once did).

And there is no such thing as a vintage guitar that is worth 5k unrestored and after a $500 "restoration" suddenly 10k.

To a well-informed buyer any further changes further DEvaluate a vintage guitar. Unless it is a risky and difficult repair that was done perfectly.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    fenderguy813 likes this.
  18. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    If it were mine I might indeed consider sanding off some of the varnish off the body only (not from the neck)

fenderguy813 likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    In the closeup pic of the neck pocket it looks like it was sanded enough to lose the roundover, so sadly it has been heavily sanded.
    I assume you would have to sand the still finished areas down the match the surrounding areas, in order to get a flat surface to mount the guard and bridge.
    Once the whole top is reasonably flat, you could recreate the edge roundover wherever it was sanded off
    Not sure but there's a good cheace the sides got similar loss of shape from sanding?
    Does the neck have any shape change from sanding?
    The closer all the contours are to full original, the more it will be worth when refinished.

The fingerboard will be a bear to strip nicely, stripper would do it though. I presume.

You could leave it as is, but I do not agree that a good refin would not increase the value.
    Lots of tough calls ahead!
    Filling the rout? A shallow patch could be done, I've seen threads where half the thickness of the body was hogged out just to get the bottom of some screw holes.
    No need to take out that much wood.
    It could just be left under the guard as is.

That interesting neck pup was never a HB IMO. Not a Gibson either AFAIK.
    Might be an old Supro? Not sure.

Cool guitar, i have a '50s Esquire body that came to me with several finishes and a '72 neck. No heavy sanding and I stripped it with chemicals to avoid removing wood.
    A tung oil finish left the antiquity, looks like an old guitar.
    I'm not a fan of old Fenders that get new finishes which cover any evidence of age.

SheldonP likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.