Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

'53 CNC build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ehawley, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Kobus

Kobus TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Brakpan South Africa
    Amazing info. Thanks for sharing.

2. bleak

bleak NEW MEMBER!

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    The photographs on the first 4 pages of this thread don't seem to be available any more. Is there any way to see them?

3. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey
    Hey guys...I'm still around!! Here's a picture of my new shop I had built last year...Down stairs is the shop and upstairs is a recording studio and..well ... guitar storage...;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll be hanging around here more often posting new threads...I still do tele's...not as much as I liked, but there are more and more people requesting them..I'll post some pics of the ones I've done recently...in the mean time, It's good to be back!!

4. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Great to have you back! There's a lot more CNC stuff going on around here now, and I'm sure you'll have tons to add to those conversations.

5. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Worldwide
    OMG - I thought only China had children sleeping under/by their workstations... :)

Nice looking guitars Ed.

6. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey
    Ha!!....my granddaughter loves to help me around the shop!!...She hangs out there when I'm working!....Good catch!

7. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey
    Here are Teles that were added into the mix the one in the front is my style for a Tuxedo Tele...
    [​IMG]

RogerC likes this.

8. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey
    Here is the Tuxedo style...Korina Body...Black binding...Garolite pickguard...My own design Staple pickup ( I did a thread a LONG time ago about my pickup designs) I have 3 Tuxedo's in the works now.

[​IMG]

The back of the staple pickup

[​IMG]

more shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to change my headstock design to my own... we all know why!

This style goes on all my new teles...

[​IMG]

the Coral!

[​IMG]

9. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Great stuff Ed! Looking forward to seeing you around more!

10. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Looking at that pickup.... I had a moment.....

11. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    Those Staple Pickups are sublime. Great tones from those. I'm surprised they're not more popular.

12. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey
    Yup...they are my favorite pickup...Expensive to make, but well worth it. The originals that Seth Lover designed in the fifties were a little different then mine..( I guess I should say mine are different then his!) I'm surprised they aren't as popular also...I don't think many people know of them!..I get a lot of questions when I show the Tuxedos!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

13. Barncaster

I hear originals were on the noisy side. What has your experience been with your version Ed?

14. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey
    Hey Barncaster..How are you?...I add a tin base to the pickup to add a bit of extra shielding. I eliminate the connecting wires between the magnets (I guess Seth put them on because his adjustment springs didn't touch any ground)and use the height adjustment springs as grounding connections for the magnets. The wires that were on the originals could pick up some interference because they were in the signal path (even though they were grounded)...If you can find an original picture of the 50s staple pickups you will see the wires on the back... Lollar i believe make an exact replica of the alnico V staple...take a look at their pics and you will see the wires....That is the difference between mine and the original...I dont know if it matters..a friend has a 54 les paul repro with the staple in it...the noise level is about the same as a regular single coil..not bad...

15. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey

16. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey

17. Barncaster

Hey Ed!
    Doing fine here. Hope all is well with you and yours too.

I've been eyeing these pups for years. From a production perspective, the mechanical complexity (cost) of these pups probably doomed them from the beginning. I can remember reading a story about Chet Atkins complaining that the DeArmond 200s (Dynasonics) were too noisy in the studio which drove Gretsch to develop the Filtertron humbucker with his input.

The magnet to brass keeper relationship intrigues me. From the Dynasonics I've seen, the rod magnets appear pressed into the brass keepers. An elegant and easy solution facilitated by the rod magnet's round cross-section. The Gibson pup on the other hand is a head scratcher. Do you know how they pulled off the attachment?

I do have a Gibson dog ear '46 P90 equipped with rods in my stash. The gauss levels off the rods suggest A2. I love the misfits!
    Rob

18. WilliamB23

WilliamB23 NEW MEMBER!

Feb 11, 2017
    Maryland

19. WilliamB23

WilliamB23 NEW MEMBER!

Feb 11, 2017
    Maryland
    Hey gorgeous guitar work. I am new here... Landed looking for 3d files to explore on my CNC. Any guidance to a newbie is greatly appreciated!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.