52 reissue or 52 hotrod?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by oldsmokey, Mar 18, 2017.

1. oldsmokey

oldsmokey TDPRI Member

gday all, new here I'm after some advice on whether to buy a 52 hotrod or a 52 reissue. Also your thoughts on a blues Jnr amp.
    Thanks in advance

2. mojosman

mojosman Tele-Meister

Have you played both? I think the hot rod has a thicker neck. To some guys neck feel is a deal breaker. I like thicker baseball bat necks, many guys think thinner = faster. To me, if you like the feel of the guitar, everything else can be worked out. If you hate the neck, you probably never really love that guitar. Try them both.

Art W, h2odog, nicod98 and 3 others like this.
  3. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

Both are great guitars. The Hot Rod will have the 9.5 radius and modern frets if that is important to you. They are both great guitars. It depends if you want a traditional Tele pickup configuration or the mini-hum in the neck.

If I were buying, and it were my only Telecaster, I would get the 52 Reissue, because I prefer the pickup configuration (especially love the middle position). There are also Thin Skin models available through Dave's Guitars and Wildwood Guitars that have the modern fretboard radius and taller frets if that interests you.

maggieo and drri like this.
  4. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

I would go with the hot rod. basically similar, but now you get a mini humbucker for that Keith sound.

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Both

brogh, Clifton C and nicod98 like this.
  6. BayouTele

BayouTele TDPRI Member

I had a hot rod and wish I hadn't sold it. Definitely a vote for the hot rod here. Great neck and I found the humbucker very easy to get along with.

oldsmokey likes this.
  7. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Agree with GK34: if it was my only tele I would jump on a 52 in a heartbeat.
    It is so classic for good reasons: you cannot go wrong with it. It is where it all started, you know I am right ;-)
    BTW the hot rod is a nice guitar that many folks here love.
    Good luck.

8. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

They are both great guitars. I went with the Hot Rod simply because of the 9.5 radius fretboard and the medium jumbo frets. I simply prefer the flatter radius and frets that are a little more "prominent". I think both guitars have a fairly beefy neck profile. I wasn't sure about the Seymour Duncan in the neck position but I knew that could be easily changed out. It's really all about personal preference. I bought mine new 2011 (when they were getting ready to phase them out) and have no regrets. It's a keeper. It looks like they are harder to find now.

9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I would love to own a 52.....but if I had a Hot Rod- I would gig it all the time. The frets, radius and neck profile suit me very well.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hot Rod!

11. drri

drri TDPRI Member

+1 on the 52' reissue. I just picked up one the Wildwood Thin Skin models cause I wanted the beefed neck and taller/wider frets. No regrets! Not sure about the hot rods but standard 52 vs the Wildwood is also comparable in price so that made it an easier descion. I'd say if you prefer beefed necks, go with the Wildwood. If you like thinner necks, go with a standard.

12. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I was surprised at how much I liked the Hot Rod when I played one, but it really depends on what you prefer for a neck.

13. Abe

Abe Tele-Meister

I have had the Hot Rod for about 3 years now. It has quickly become one of my two main guitars, displacing a great CS tele (in my avatar). For me, the combination of big neck, flatter board, and bigger frets are a significant win. I like the pickups for what I do, but I understand that they might not be for everyone. I am fairly certain you could swap to a stock neck pickup without any body work - the minibucker slot should allow that.

Mine is now Rutters-fied (pic below) with a bridge, switch tip, and Rutterscup, and is a beast of a guitar. The bridge made a significantly positive change (to my ear), and the middle position now has an amazing "piano tone" on the low strings that reminds me of the low notes on a good grand piano. Very powerful instrument.

One thing to keep in mind - the pot values on the Hot Rod are 375K - so if you were to buy one and drop in a stock neck pickup it makes sense to do a whole electronics swap at the same time.

One last thing - the finish on these is THIN. They will chip if you look at them crosswise. The finish on mine has flaked off around the neck plate just from the pressure.

[​IMG]

14. oldsmokey

oldsmokey TDPRI Member

Thanks very much everyone. I'll try both but think I'll go for the hotrod!
    Great advice cheers!

15. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Meister

The SD SM1 minihum from the hotrod is very good in the neck position. Bell like, almost single coil. In other words, lots of sparkly highs so unlike a regular humbucker plus much better than the gibby minihum.No harsh sounds.Very bluesy. I found it similar to a normal tele neck pup with extended highs.
    I did end up putting a low wound strat neck pup in there. It seems a happier combi with the bridge brother. It's not as fat as the minihum though but it goes a long way to the classic strat neck pup sound which i love for its versatility. I would keep the minihum if i was playing straight blues.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

A used Peavey Classic 50 or Classic 30 combo amp would IMO be a better choice than that Mexican Fender. If you buy Fender, IMO get the USA models, such as DRRI or maybe a Custom Vibrolux Reverb-Amp.

Once, the Hot Rod neck was bigger girth but when the AV was redone around 2012, the new Pure Vintage neck is similar in size (less similar in shape) to the Hot Rod. The HR neck is more shoulder and the newer AV52 neck is more "boatneck" and bigger at the keel as opposed to the shoulders. So the main difference is which is the preferred shape for you and which radius and fret size you like. The HR is 9.5 and medium frets and the AV is 7.25 and vintage frets.

brogh likes this.
  17. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

I've had a 52RI for the past decade or so as well as a Tweed Blues Jr. Love both. My fav radius is 7.25 though so the RI works best for me. However I've never cared for the recessed input jack sockets on Teles so I replace with an Electrosocket, which allows for right angled input jacks. As for the amp, it's a great small amp and I gig with mine regularly when we have sound support. My reverb stopped working long ago but I never used it anyway.

18. Activateclint

Activateclint TDPRI Member

Trying to get an answer to this and stumbled on this post.
    I have the 52 hot rod RI with the SD mini humbucker ( i love it!!) but have just tried to return it to the original pickup config, i had the SD lil' 59 installed years back with a push pull and pots maybe they have been changed and caps taken out. Does anyone know what value pots were used originally and if there was a tone cap from the bridge to tame the highs back?
    The physical wiring itself is correct (99% sure) but the bridge is really bright and middle is weird especially on the low end (phase?), and the SD mini hum has no brightness and heaps of woof.
    Oh another thing, the SN-1N mini hum has an external braided ground wire connected to the cover, can i achieve a 4-way (for series config) by cutting the jumper from the bridge pickup instead?
    Hope someone can help!
    Cheers:(

19. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for Hot Rod. Only ever saw one in a shop, already bought but I did get to handle it. Felt great.

Ha! Just saw the date... Moving along. Sorry I've added nothing!

20. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Can't see your photo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.