52 AVRI Question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jmatthew81, Jun 19, 2019.

1. jmatthew81

jmatthew81 TDPRI Member

Hello all:

Recently got an American Vintage 52 Reissue after looking forever. Found a 1989 model for sale locally in amazing condition. I have a question about the serial number.

It has a 4 digit number in the 9XXX range on the bridge plate. It also came with the original certificate of authenticity which matches this number. However, the production date on the COA says early 1989. Is this possible? I have seen instances on reverb where 4 digit serial number production stopped in 1988. Any help form the experts would be greatly appreciated!

2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

So you want to know if it's an 88 or an early 89... Not sure it makes a huge difference. Other sites I found have agreed with what you said - 4 digits was 1982-1988, 5 digits after that, but I don't think Fender ever did things as of December 31st/January 1st, so years are generally broad guidelines.

Your best bet is to e-mail Fender with the serial number: consumerrelations@fender.com

Or if you are comfortable, remove the neck and look for a date written in pencil on the end of it.

3. jmatthew81

jmatthew81 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply! I contacted Fender and they said they don’t really have any information about that series during that time.

I agree 100% re: the date guidelines. I was mainly curious because I have seen other listings that have higher serial numbers than this one dated from the year before. Have not popped the neck as it isn’t that big of a deal! Just wondering if anybody had insight. Thanks again!

4. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Fender's available records start at 1993.

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fender never has a strict "change of the serial numbers" anyway - even on the "modern" style numbers that start in mid-1976 (with some kind of prefix that indicates the year followed by a number). It's even looser on the pre-1976 instruments and on the AVRI models up until the August 2012 refresh (those often called "Pure Vintage" after Fender's marketing campaign for them) because the stamped parts were kept in bins. They got out of order quickly as assemblers would get stacks of them for their workbenches and sometimes just kept them there instead of returning them to the parts bin. So any time you see a "serial number range" from before 1993 you should treat it as a "rule of thumb" not an absolute because Fender didn't keep detailed searchable records, only shipping records that evidently were in hard copy.

6. jmatthew81

jmatthew81 TDPRI Member

That actually makes sense! Thanks for the great info.

Regardless, it is one of the best I’ve played. I prefer the slimmer C neck like they did before the change to the more correct U. I feel lucky to have stumbled upon it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.